IGNORED

Chesky Female Vocalist Comparison: Laverne Butler & Louise Rogers

VOTE AND GET 50% OFF A CHESKY ALBUM ON HDTRACKS

LAVERNEROGERS.jpg

CLICK HERE TO VOTE

CLICK HERE TO LISTEN

Chesky Records is proud to be celebrating its 30th year of operation in 2016. One of the ways we're highlighting the tremendous catalog of artists we've recorded over the years is to ask you, the fans, who some of your favorites are. Not only will we be allowing you to vote in head-to-head match-ups, but we'll also be providing discounts for 50% off any Chesky album on HDtracks (expires 9.8, one use per customer per vote) for those that vote! Whether you've heard all of our artists already, or are discovering some for the first time, there's something rewarding for everyone. For this tournament, we'll be looking at female vocalists, and we'll vote until one winner remains leading up to the release of our newest female vocalist...Macy Gray.

LAVERNE BUTLER

Since her move to New York in 1984, LaVerne has toured Europe and Asia many times as a featured vocalist for various festivals and club dates including France, Denmark, Finland, England and Japan. With each musical experience, LaVerne began to shape and mold her own personal style.

In 1992, LaVerne signed her first record deal with Chesky Records in New York City. And in 1993 she released her first solo jazz album, titled No Looking Back, which is, according to Jazziz Magazine, "a bebopper's delight." However with her second release, Day Dreamin, LaVerne was able to explore another jazz 'sound' which she credits to such singers as Nancy Wilson. "Nancy is probably my biggest influence to date." But LaVerne insists she does not tend to become typecast. "Jazz is what I do best, and it is what I love to do. But I believe it can also vary in sound, mood and most importantly, in musical approach. I have so much music I want to compose and record. If I can create my own unique style by writing and singing fresh material, then it's just another feather in my cap."

LOUISE ROGERS

Chesky recording artist Louise Rogers has a voice that has been described as “pure and incandescent, free of affectation or obvious influence.” (Christopher Loudon, Jazz Times).

Ms. Rogers moved from N.H. to NYC in 1997 and has been active in the jazz scene since her arrival. A published author, she is a leader in the field of jazz education. Nat Hentoff has praised her work as "the most joyously encouraging way of expanding the audience for jazz". Along with her new release on Chesky Records, Black Coffee, which was in Grammy consideration, Louise has previously released 4 CDs on her own label, RILO: Come Ready and See Me and Bass-ically Speaking; 2 jazz CDs for children – Bop Boo Day and Jazzy Fairy Tales.

Vocalistbracket1.png