IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

I am very late to this topic, only being told recently my Oppo103d could rip SACD. I quickly tried and it worked like a charm. Didn't listen to any SACD titles for a while as I preferred to play the files from my NAS. However, just went to play a SACD and the Oppo is now not recognising the disk. No trouble with CD, DVD or Bluray disks. I can't think why unless it is related to the ripping I did. I followed the instructions provided at the time with a W10 laptop. I have reset the player to factory default with no improvemnt. I only use the Oppo occasionaly as a disk transport so didn't pick this up earlier. With 227 pages in this thread, its too much to go through to find any similar posts, so I am hoping if anyone has had any experience with this, they may be able to help. I'm not sure how or why the rip could have effected the Oppo, but its the only thing I can think of.

2 hours ago, tngiloy said:

Kit,

The Oppo 103 will only output DSD from its HDMI#2 out.

If you are using HDMI#1 out from the Oppo it needs to be set to PCM or AUTO under- Setup > Audio Format Setup > SACD Output > PCM or Auto (auto will choose pcm). If it's set to DSD it will appear to be playing looking at the screen but there will be no sound.

Just a thought. 

Hi, the thing is, the sacd disk is not recognized by the player, not that it plays but can't be heard. All other disk formats are recognized,  cd, DVD and bluray. It's only sacd disks this happens with.

2 hours ago, Redbeemer said:

You state above that you "only use the Oppo occasionally as a DISK TRANSPORT...".  This implies that you are sending the audio out of the player via either a Toslink or coaxial spdif cable to your preamp.  If so, the Oppo will NOT play any audio from your SACD's due to DRM restrictions from Sony, but will allow you to play other audio such as cd's.  Try removing the digital cable and hooking the Oppo up with an analog rca cable and then see if that same SACD plays.

Hi Redbeemer, I have the Oppo connected by RCA to a preamp. The player can play DVD and bluray just fine. It's just sacd that's not recognized.

1 hour ago, Redbeemer said:

I just checked the Oppo Support site and it appears the 103 and 103D share the same firmware with the latest being issued on Jan. 23, 2017 for both players.

The 103d played sacd just fine before I used it to rip sacd. It seems it has lost that functionality only since then

Just now, greynolds said:

What steps have you taken since?  Have you tried disconnecting the player from power for a few minutes?  Have you removed the USB stick that's needed for the SACD ripping process?  Anything else?

Yes, I disconnected, I have swapped around different format disks and no, I haven't left the USB stick attached. The only thing left to do is to do another rip, but since sacd is not recognized,  I'm not hopefull.

2 hours ago, MeiSh5am said:

I don't think you've specified exactly where you get the message that the discs aren't recognized. Can you post a screenshot?

Also, the SACD-rip-USB-stick isn't supposed to change anything about your Oppo. It just runs a script that starts a program off the stick. No settings, files or firmware on your player should be modified at all.

20230829_081633.jpg.4a3b0d8c7aea935c0b7b470906d901f6.jpg

9 minutes ago, hobbitz said:

I had a similar situation not long ago on my 105D. I replaced the laser pickup mechanism and everything worked as it should be. The laser pickup mechanism can be ordered from Aliexpress for less than $30 for my model. To the best of my knowledge, the 103 or 103D has 2 revisions. One with a twin-lens pickup and one with single-lens. You may have to open up the oppo to see for yourself and order the correct model.

Great. Thanks for the suggestion. With your 105d, was the situation the same, that your player could play some disc formats but not others?

3 minutes ago, jegreenwood said:

Does the Oppo use a different laser for SACDs (as opposed to other disc types)?

I see @hobbitz just raised a similar question.

Yeah, interesting point. I will have to search around. Perhaps the D version, because of enhanced video, is using a different laser structure.

25 minutes ago, MikeyFresh said:

Very odd in that both DVD and SACD use a 650 nm red laser, so a player with a laser related problem reading SACDs should also be a problem in reading a DVD. 

CD uses a 780 nm laser, and Blu-ray uses a 405 nm "blue" (actually violet) laser, and so sometimes a problem reading SACD/DVD will not affect the reading of CD or Blu-ray Discs, unless of course it is a larger power supply related fault.

Sounds like your player needs a new laser assembly as noted in previous posts.

I also am coming to the same conclusion Mikey

I am in ebay now checking availability and prices. But I will have to open the player case to check what is currently installed.

Yup, the Oppo BDPs were really extraordinary and creative in their technical specs and the video and audio they produced at the various price points were bang on. And you are right, for their service to be available for long discontinued products is another sign of how extraordinary they were and are.