IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

For me, searching in the local markets for a PS3 that can rip an SACD is impossible. Must be a generation 1 or 2 PS3 with old firmware, although, firmware can be backdated, but at consideral cost because of shipping. And on top of that problem the local PS3 sellers cannot even read the model number on the product label.

Beter to find a Panasonic BDP-170, new or used. I just ordered a new 170 from amazon.com that ships from Japan.

Panasonic BDP-170 doesn't seem to support SACD, did you mean Pioneer?

For those of you converting to multichannel PCM, there is a feature within the program, Audiomuxer, that will change 4.0 and 5.0 multichannel to standard 5.1 without changing any of the data. It will be the exact same file size, it just adds silent channels to center and lfe channels so you end up with a fully compatable 5.1 flac or wav file. It is under audio conversion mixing options.

now it works with the right files

was getting tired of the playstation

thanks very much

Are you having any problems with multi-layer discs defaulting to cd layer and not SACD layer. Did you have to change a setting in the menu to default to SACD on the 80fd?

Thanks tymoxa, I had exactly the same problem as kelvin gilmore had on my brand new Pioneer BDP-80FD which I purchased yesterday from BestBuy. After downloading the package from Maldur's post, I was able to rip a couple of single layer discs.

However, my BDP-80FD has problem reading most hybrid discs, only defaulting to the CD layer. Press the CD/SACD button on the remote had no effect. For those hybrid discs it read, it displayed "SACD" after closing the tray and I was able to switch between different layers.

Also, the player hanged a few time already during shutdown, similar to what was described in the Amazon reviews. I had to unplug to reset it.

Could other owners of BDP-80FD please comment on this. I wonder if I got a defective unit, or rather I haven't set it up properly. Thanks.

Is there is a setting to always default to SACD when loading a hybrid disc?

This one works too!

I purchased a Pioneer Elite BDP-80FD and successfully ripped my first SACD with it. This is a good option for a lower cost player available in the US. I was able to find an Amazon warehouse deal for a "used" one under $150, though there are none that low at the moment. It will be nice not to have to worry about my PS3 which seems to die once a year.

Are you having any of the problems Anfield is having?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding but, wouldn't he be looking for and assigning a static IP address in the player, not the computer?

My TIVO connects directly to my PC without any static IP address, is there any technical reasons a player like the Oppo or Pioneer Elite would be any different? No crossover cable needed either.

The ripper BD machine needs to have a fixed IP address. The main reason is to use the sacd.cmd file or the IOS2DSD application so that the same address can be entered all the time the same and not having to search for the new IP address the router decides to allocate. Discussion ends.

Discussion Ends? Stop it. Enough already.

Thanks. I thought it was just me!

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

I just bought a Pio Elite BDP-80FD off the bay. Ideally I would like to do this without a router. If I don't need my monitor, that will be cool too. I get it delivered most likely Monday. I already have an Oppo 83se that plays burned SACDs, and I didn't want to spend the 400-500$ on another Oppo at this point, I got the 80FD for $150 shipped. Starting my plan of attack before it arrives in about five days. Hopefully I don't have the problem that others have had with this player not recognizing the SACD layer of dual layer discs. I have around 100 SACDs to rip, nearly all multichannel.

Yesterday I connected my Pio 80FD directly to my laptop LAN connection. Created the usb stick with Pio script and ripped ten SACDs with iso2dsd_PC_v7.

Today the PC is not recognizing the player in the win explorer network connection section and obviously it doesn't work. When starting the player, the little network icon on the player screen shows a green check mark.

I haven't had any problems with the 80FD reading the SACD layer of dual layer discs.

I loaned out my router so I don't have access to one for at least a few days. Such smooth sailing yesterday that i'm not surprised I am having this glitch today...

Maybe it got assigned a new IP address (when you turned it off/on?). Can you use Fing or other utility to find the IP address of your player?

According to the network information in the player settings, it is the same. Doubt that even if it changed, that would be the problem considering the pc has to "see" the player before you enter an ip address. Thanks.

Maybe it got assigned a new IP address (when you turned it off/on?). Can you use Fing or other utility to find the IP address of your player?

Got it working on an old win 7 netbook. It saw the player by default in the network. Plugged the ip numbers in "iso2dsd_PC_v7" and all is well.

I just got a 170-K. At first it did not work and could not understand why, and I could not telnet. After I used the telnet specific AutoScript I could telnet and I observed that user /mnt the USB stick was under /mnt/sdb1 not /mnt/sda1. Maybe this is because I am using the front port and not the rear USB port? NO idea at all.

After this, I got it to start manually. I am ripping a SACD at the moment. It is a bit slower than the PS3, but the PS3 is direct to a stick, this is over wifi and actually computer and BDP-170 are on different repeaters...

If this works, I am a happy cow. Even if slower than the PS3, it is much more silent and I can keep it in my study, where I have no TV display, whereas the PS3 is in the living room.

What speed are you getting?

What are the ripping speeds you are getting, folks? I am using WLAN, and the ripping is about 1.2Mb/s, which is disappointing. I will try with LAN tomorrow.

Roberto

Around 2.5 Mb/s average over LAN, no router, direct connection to pc.

FING is one such app, it you could also look at the web interface of your wireless router, if accessible.

I just realized if I left click on the Pioneer BDP icon under media devices, and hit properties, it gives me the ip address of the player. No network app needed. Looks like I don't need a monitor connected to the SACD player.

• 2 weeks later...
for me it works perfectly fine. Thanks Ted!

I am using a Cambridge Audio Azur 752BD and I do not even need to wait for the player to boot: Here's what I'm doing:

1) I just power on the player with the stick connected and the tray opens.

2) Then I insert an SACD and close the tray (no ABCD is scrolling in the display, everything appears to be normal, i.e. the SACD is recognized, starts playing and I press stop)

3) I run sacd_extract -i <Player-IP> -I -P from a Linux laptop in the same network and it starts writing a copy of the disc contents into a local .iso file

Once I am done, I can immediately insert the next SACD and start ripping again (by repeating step 3)

I was not able to get root access (ssh -l root) to the player, however, this isn't necessary

I only use my Pioneer player for ripping so I just leave the prepared usb drive in. I just push open/close to power on the player and open drawer, when it is done I either push power to close drawer and power down, or open/close to close drawer after inserting the next disc for another rip.

You'll need a TV or HDMI display of some sort (perhaps a computer monitor that supports a standard HDTV resolution?) to get the Oppo connected to your WiFi network unless you have a wireless access point available that you can connect the Oppo into via a wired connection. Other than that, you should be able to do everything else without a need for a TV.

No need for a monitor using windows. Just connect lan directly to pc and get the player ip from the network tab in windows explorer. What is the hangup with a Mac?

There are player preferences to check and adjust, with a new player, this is not possible from the Ethernet connection.

I did have a monitor when I initially set mine up, the Pioneer Elite, but looking back, I think it would have worked without it. My player was set to lan and not wireless by defult. I also turned off autoplay but that was only for convenience.My player is now nowhere near a monitor and is directly connected to lan and rips fine. Oppo may default to wireless...

The Oppo defaults to a wired connection, but the other poster wanted to connect it to his wireless network - for that a connected display of some sort is needed to get the player onto the network.

SpotOn, specifically mentions connecting an ethernet cable. What does that have to do with wireless? Are you talking about another poster? Will a Mac recognise the player like windows does automatically is my question. I don't own a Mac but it seems like it should.

One of the requirements to rip sacd is to switch the autoplay to off. Further to set the player to sacd. A TV/ monitor is necessary to make these adjustments for a new player out of the box.

Another poster here mentioned that autoplay was not a requirement, you can just push the stop button, that is why I called it a convenience setting. My Pio didn't need to be changed to SACD, I believe it doesn't have a defult setting, but I think the Oppo does so your correct, he will most likely need a monitor for initial setup if he goes that direction.

If you're going to connect the Oppo to your home WiFi, the Oppo will need to be at your house while you're doing that so you can select the appropriate network, enter the WiFi password, and so on. If you don't have some sort of HDMI display that can handle standard HDTV resolutions (even something that can do 480P would work), it wouldn't cost much to get something that can and might even come in handy at times.

If you aren't going to use the player for anything other than SACD ripping, I would think it would make sense to go with the least expensive option that works. Of course, the build quality of the Oppo is worth considering for longevity.

His post specifically mentions an ethernet cable directly to his pc, he isn't using wifi.

Cambridge as well: My 752BD not not visible in the network before it did an HDMI handshake (with a monitor, TV or AVR). Thus, powering it on with the stick plugged in is not enough: I have to power on my AV Receiver initially. Then, I can ping the player's IP address and start ripping.

Luckily the Pio Elite doesn't need a handshake when it comes to SACD. Good info for potential player purchasers.