IGNORED

SOtM smS-200 unveiled at Munich Hi-End

sMS-200 preordered. Originally intended the acquisition of the sMS-1000 SQ, but the potential of the smaller upcoming sibling (and if word around the Micro Rendu is any indication) seems promising, to say the least. Can't wait.

Source: Synology NAS > DIY Mediaserver • Software: JRiver MC31/Fidelizer Pro Optical output: ASUS Xonar AE 24/192 • DAC/preamp: Blue Cheese Audio Roquefort Digital cross-over: Xilica XP-3060 • Speakers: Electro-Voice TS9040D LX (for active config.)  Subwoofers: 2 x MicroWrecker Tapped Horns • EV horns amp: MC² Audio T2000 • EV bass amp: MC² Audio T1500 • Subs amp: MC² Audio T2000 • EV horns cables: Mundorf silver/gold 1mm solid-core • IC: Mundorf silver/gold XLR/Mogami 2549 XLR/Cordial CMK Road 250 XLR • Subs and EV bass cable: Cordial CLS 425 • Power cables: 15AWG Solid-core wire w/IeGo pure copper plugs (DIY)

• 4 weeks later...

Will pick up my sMS-200 later today, but won't be able to set it up until next week, being that I await a new NAS-server + new batteries to my DAC. Impressions will follow, if anyone are interested :)

Source: Synology NAS > DIY Mediaserver • Software: JRiver MC31/Fidelizer Pro Optical output: ASUS Xonar AE 24/192 • DAC/preamp: Blue Cheese Audio Roquefort Digital cross-over: Xilica XP-3060 • Speakers: Electro-Voice TS9040D LX (for active config.)  Subwoofers: 2 x MicroWrecker Tapped Horns • EV horns amp: MC² Audio T2000 • EV bass amp: MC² Audio T1500 • Subs amp: MC² Audio T2000 • EV horns cables: Mundorf silver/gold 1mm solid-core • IC: Mundorf silver/gold XLR/Mogami 2549 XLR/Cordial CMK Road 250 XLR • Subs and EV bass cable: Cordial CLS 425 • Power cables: 15AWG Solid-core wire w/IeGo pure copper plugs (DIY)

I see that the instruction manual is out too. Link here. Is it out now? Retail price?

From what I'm able to calculate the retail price sits at roughly $475 (which probably equates to $450).

Just unpacked it. A shame I can't try it out until next week..

The unit should be open for preorder now.

EDITED below

Very interested in your impressions on sound quality. Also user experience with software are important to evaluate.

Please report back.

I will :)

Not sure what anyone would gain from my impressions being that my DIY HTPC is really only so-so; I'd expect the sMS-200, even without the battery supply that I'll buy soon, to better my current PC-setup by a noticable margin - or at least I hope so.

On top of it all the battery pack inside my DAC drained some two weeks ago, meaning I'm currently using an RME 9632 soundcard for playback until the new battery pack arrives - is rather stale sonic experience compared to the SOtM DAC. That is; my point of reference right now may reveal the upcoming sMS-200 + sDP-1000 a heavenly encounter at first listens, but I'll try and moderate my impressions into something more balanced :)

Well, thank you for sharing your existing configuration so everybody can put your future information in the right perspective. And you're the first here on CA to have it so we have to be satisfied this way. You seem to have pretty awesome speakers that deserve a better source.

Cheers

Yes, my almost new speakers (which are indeed pretty awesome, thanks) deserves a better source on the side of the digital supply to the DAC, so the likely very positive influence of the sMS-200 should be welcomed. We'll see how it turns out.

I figured a NAS-server may be the best way to go with that, but other than that and what further configuration and software to use has me in the blind. I intend to use a cabled CAT6 Ethernet connection to the sMS-200 (and later the battery supply) and will possibly try out ROON as playback software. Recommendations/advice are welcome.

Very cool. My sMS-200 hasn't even shipped yet :~(

My local dealer/distributor was able to get a few units sent in advance, and I was among the fortunate to be in the receiving end :)

Where did you buy it? I no longer see a US distributor in SOtM's website.

Bought it here in Denmark. Sounds strange with the omission of the US distributor. Have you emailed May Park directly?

Very cool. My sMS-200 hasn't even shipped yet :~(

Btw, Mr. Connaker --

Do you intend to review the sMS-200 once you get hold of it? It would sure be appreciated.. :)

Wow, you have the unit before Chris, sure that is something! You will have to write the review first, I guess, ha ha.

I You try Roon, it's very likely that you'll be hooked and will go for it. I have it and I have revisited my system to get the best out of it (and I still do, because I will switch my sms-100 soon with either the mR or the sms-200).

A pc or Mac out of the way running Roon, a NAS with your files, Tidal subscription, a nice tablet for controlling everything will do the rest. That's what I do and what most people are after here. But of course there are several other alternatives equally valid.

Cheers.

Thanks for the advice. I may also be using Minimserver + Kazoo that I currently use (with JPLAY). A few days to go I'm hopefully up and running :)

Ha, as much as I'd welcome the challenge everyone will be much better off letting Chris handle review duties and compare the sMS-200 with the mRendu - particularly being that you (and likely others) are considering both :)

Can you take some pics showing what is inside ?

Sorry, I'm not going to open up the unit (pardon the poor picture quality; lights are low here).

IMG_0424.JPG

IMG_0425.JPG

What is the price in Europe?

$450 + local VAT, I presume.

Is it CE-marked?

As far as I can see, no.

Well, the new WD Red 3TB HDD won't start up in my (also) new Synology NAS-server. When powering up the NAS there's a strange sound from the harddrive as if it's trying to start up again and again, until a "beep" noise makes it stop and the status indicator starts blinking. Crickey, how about them f*cking unreliable HDD's - be they one brand of the other.

We'll try and connect a USB-harddrive to the sMS-200 instead, and will return with more into..

Sorry for the harsh language above. I'm not unfamiliar with new computer equipment failing to work, hence the disappointment.

Well, just to get going we ended up using my existing HTPC as network server via DLNA, and got the sMS-200 up and running. The standard PSU is used (battery supply to follow later), and Kazoo is used as control point on my iPhone 6.

There's a sonic difference for sure with the sMS-200 implemented compared to my former HTPC setup. First impressions are of a subjectively warmer, more stable/calm and saturated presentation. There's an appealing sense of wholeness/coherency and organic flow, and voices having a more relaxed presentation. A curious sensation is also that of feeling the music to play a wee bit slower (though I'm sure it doesn't). Bass appears slightly fuller and more "lithe." Detail separation is less pronounced, and the overall presentation seems perhaps slightly "cautious." I'd go so far to say the unit sounds "new;" indeed the SOtM only got about an hour "under the hood."

These "virgin" impressions may not be much of a giveaway to any you, myself included. Being that the unit is so new, and that I'm used to a sound that is notably different (which in itself turns it into a "reference," flawed it may be), I don't know yet how to really characterize the sound of sMS-200. A few developments are underway though: earlier mentioned battery supply (likely a substantial upgrade), the Synology NAS-server with better Ethernet cables (questionable sonic difference perhaps, but I'll be freed of the background noise from the PSU of my HTPC), experimentation into playback software (ROON, first and foremost), and not least the sMS-200 being properly run-in over the next month or two.

Tentative further descriptions on the sound as is may include: a rather natural, balanced presentation, and a bit more gentle than up-front and demanding attention. To me the "emphasis," which it really isn't, on the whole of the sound rather than a more pronounced sense of detail separation is, again, a rather natural trait. That being said the overall sound (as is) could need a bit more spatiality, elasticity and dynamic promptness - all of which may be on the near horizon.

These are the areas I wanted the unit to excel to. I want it open and transparent with excellent imaging. I think if only these can be achived, everything else will follow. Understandably, this is only first few hours run so I hope it will improve from there.

I just got mine also today and in the process of setting it up. I only have a Cubox to compare it with and desktop PC with a SOtM tX-USBexp card. Player is Roon. I thought the Cubox with Roon in ArchLinux performed less than Cantata in Voyage MPD. My goal with the SMS-200 is to at least meet the performance of my desktop set-up while running in Roon.

I'm looking forward to learn of your impressions. Let the sMS-200 got some hours into it, as it's clear already that it evolves while being used.

It may not be fair to try and go about ones impressions of a unit only about an hour or so into its playing time, but if nothing else you'll be able to follow the process and how it evolves, as I intend to update my impressions as they come.

With a few more hours under the hood it's all the more clear how the sMS-200 is really a different animal altogether compared to my former setup. The Musical presentation has a very intoxicating fullness and organic flow that makes the old HTPC sound malnourished and mechanical, and make no mistake; there's openness and transparency in abundance, but it may not show itself immediately. There's a sense of lack of glare, and at first audible glance it lends the sound a slightly darker imprinting. As you go on listening though (I've been out of the listening for a few hours, and now enjoys the last "stint" before bedtime), you quickly adopt into it feeling it's the more natural presentation. Voices sound just lovely, from Laurie Anderson's The Lake (of Homeland) to various tracks by Bonnie 'Prince' Billy (The Letting Go), Tori Amos (Under the Pink) and Frank Sinatra (Ultimate Sinatra). This is good...

I'm struggling to get it running. Roon cannot see it. When it saw it, it run for 1 second then stop. I see you are running it in DLNA.

The unit is very slow which I like but the software doesn't seem to be ready for prime time yet - at least in Roon. I'm running version 0.1.3e:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27187[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27188[/ATTACH]

How you tried running it in DLNA-mode? You could use the free Kazoo app via your phone/tablet, just to get it running and form some impressions.

Hi all,

I am a newbie in CA, I have the following set up and available equipments.

- NAS: intel NUC,

- Media storage: Synology 215J & a USB Thumb Drive

- DAC: a Chord Mojo & a Geek V2+ (still waiting)

I just got an idea of my CA setup would like to ask your advices:

i) I would like to purchase the SMS-200 as a media server (I don't want to use the Intel NUC, since it is somehow not that "good".).

ii) A USB thumb drive (stores all of the music files) plugs in directly to the SMS-200.

iii) A SMS-200 connects to the home network router (prefer only to be used with an Apple iPhone be a remote control of the SMS-200).

iv) The SMS-200 connects to the DAC then to the pre-amp.

My question:

1) Does this CA system work?

2) Which setting should I use (i.e. ROON Ready, SqueezeLite or Logitech Media Server)?

3) Or do I still need the 215J and/or NUC?

Thanks.

waimac --

Welcome to CA :)

I'm definately not the expert here, but I would start out using the Synology 215J as network storage, activate the sMS-200 as a DLNA renderer and connect it to your DAC via USB, and get the free Kazoo app for your iPhone as a control point. That's how I'm using the sMS-200 as is, and it works flawlessly. Be sure to get CAT6 (or higher) Ethernet cables.

If you are not happy with Kazoo, try the Lumin app.

May try out the Lumin app as well - thanks for the heads-up. Does it even make any sense speaking of sound quality differences with the different apps used, or is it strictly about usability?

There is daily firmware update and it's performance improved quite significantly the last few days. [...].

Interesting. I'm abroad right now and won't be home until Friday, so will look forward to test out these firmware updates myself. The days prior to heading off I had noticed a shift in the sound towards a leaner and even rather pale imprinting, but it then returned to a fuller and more natural presence. The fluctuations in sonics while running-in an audio component - I'm quite familiar with it.

Could it be that an aspect of the improvements you hear is related to the sMS-200 simply being progressively run-in? SOtM has an interesting say on "aging:"

SOtM - English | Aging for SOtM products

This is possible. The unit is running continuously for over a week now. I upgraded my network to CAT6a and added an ethernet filter so that contributes also as part of the chain being aged. I just read the link you provided. That's an interesting article about the component and design choices by SOtM.

My unit is already as best as it can be. It met my cost/performance target for the whole set-up. I'm just enjoying the music right now. Any further improvement from here is a bonus.

By the way, in the last update, the operating indicator lamp (LED at the right) continuously blinks even if there is no audio being passed on. I wonder what the changed in the last update was.

For some reason I can't get the latest firmware update to appear on the Eunhasu page. Only the oldest one appears, and says it's up to date? Did you get the upgraded version to appear readily?

Hi, another question:

Does anyone know whether the the mBPS-d2s battery psu is compatible with the sMS-200 or if there is a new psu on it's way.

I currently use a sms-100 together with a mBPS-d2s and think the pus improves the performance significantly.

Thanks & regards

The mBPS-d2s battery PSU is compatible with the sMS-200.

I would love to see any comparisons of SOtM mBPS-d2s to any high-quality LPSU. Preferably to Sonore Signature or Uptone LPSU.

My SOtM mBPS-d2s battery PSU arrived today. Hooked it up to the sMS-200, and it functions perfectly. Will return with impressions..

Initial impressions with the SOtM mBPS-d2s in conjunction with the SOtM sMS-200 (compared to the standard PSU that accompanied the sMS-200):

Definitely richer/fuller tonality, a more natural ease of presentation, and added overall clarity and presence. Music seems energized and more whole. Not least the presentation now has a very solid, even "concrete" sense of background or foundation from which the music emerges, which makes it feel more involving and real. It's as if a more outspoken (exaggerated?) element of detail/resolution is downplayed a wee bit and replaced by a (yet) more informative and intimate sound. Certainly a substantial sonic upgrade compared to the former standard PSU.

Are battery PSU's the best way to go with these mini network players which only require some 7-12 volts? I gather battery supplies come in many shapes and configurations, and varying qualities, and I take it a dedicated quality linear PSU would do just as well - perhaps (potentially) even more so? I'm very curious as to what others think of this.

Thanks for this report. I'm under the impression that battery PSUs have higher impedance than linear PSUs. Whether that makes any difference in this case, as a practical matter, is another question...

You're welcome. Well, given the present state of the sound with the battery PSU I don't feel desperately compelled to find out about the potential of a quality linear PSU - a solution I suspect would be more expensive as well.

The use of the battery PSU from SOtM seems hassle-free, but their recommendation to power off the unit when not strictly using it (to save battery life) means powering down the sMS-200 as well, something I'd like to avoid. Still, it's a minor quibble.

If we assume a high quality linear PSU to possibly(?) better the SOtM battery ditto, depending on the implementation, the question is whether we're talking increments of sonic advancement at a price by factor 3 or more? Sometimes though we're inclined to pay dearly for such "increments"..

Also, what is it with SOtM's oddball capitalization protocol?

Indeed. The logic behind it is a least partially evident, but its adherence is like a non-filtered engineering "vocabulary."

• 2 weeks later...
Hi

does anybody know how one must specify a network path (nas etc.) in the sms-200?

best,

Phil

Hi Phil,

Have you entered the Eunhasu page?

Hi

yes, in "UNC" format. Like: \\NAS\Music\

but no go so far?

How about entering the name of your NAS-server in 'NAME' and "Music" in 'PATH'?

This is from 'System Setup' and 'Library config.'

• 2 weeks later...
Great!

Looking fwd to your feedback.

+1!

• 3 months later...

Using the SOtM iSO-CAT6 as a LAN-isolator with the sMS-200, and found the inclusion of the former to improve/differ sonically in ways I find meaningful; a more stable, tightly knit (i.e.: less "hollow") presentation with an added sense of presence - and slightly smoother as well (without smoothing the sound as such). Overall the sound gained more substance and density, which to me is the natural presentation.

Thinking about USB-isolation as well, and which way to go here. Either the Intona (industrial) or SOtM hub seems an interesting route into this, but for some reason I'm inclined more towards the Intona as is - don't know why..