IGNORED

Hegel Music Systems AirPlay and DLNA

I just ordered the newly released Peachtree nova150 (expected to ship by end of the month). I am still a bit on the fence. I think I want an integrated that is slightly more "future proof," in particular something that I can add a standalone DAC to down the line (perhaps a year out). I feel the Hegel (looking at H160) gives me a more future proof alternative, in that it has balanced inputs for DAC addition if/when the built in DAC gets long in the tooth (maybe it is already???). Anyway, that's my back story...

The big question mark for is is with respect to the Hegel's AirPlay and DLNA functionality (I have a Synology NAS on my network loaded with CD rips and some high res in FLAC format). I have my Synology NAS connected to my Airport Extreme router upstairs. My hi-fi setup is downstairs, where my aim is to stream wirelessly (from iOS device via AirPlay or from Synology NAS via UPnP) to the Hegel. I understand that the Hegel requires a direct connection via ethernet to a router. Will a WiFi “extender" suffice like the Airport Express (as ethernet bridge) connected to the Hegel? I don't want to drag my modem, router, NAS and all cables downstairs. Nor do I have the option of running an ethernet cable (which would be ideal I know). I want to keep hi-fi setup neat and tidy.

All suggestions and recommendations are appreciated.

A WiFi bridge (such as AirPort Express) should work fine. Once it's connected the H160 (or whatever alternative you use) has no idea there is a wireless segment in the network so as long as you have suitable connection speeds then you will have no problem.

As for Hegel vs Peachtree... Well listen to both get which you prefer. Both can be used at a later date with a separate DAC / streamer / other source, buying the Hegel because it has a balanced connection you may use at some unspecified point in the future with some unspecified DAC which may sound slightly better via balanced sounds bad decision making to me.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I just ordered the newly released Peachtree nova150 (expected to ship by end of the month). I am still a bit on the fence. I think I want an integrated that is slightly more "future proof," in particular something that I can add a standalone DAC to down the line (perhaps a year out). I feel the Hegel (looking at H160) gives me a more future proof alternative, in that it has balanced inputs for DAC addition if/when the built in DAC gets long in the tooth (maybe it is already???). Anyway, that's my back story...

The big question mark for is is with respect to the Hegel's AirPlay and DLNA functionality (I have a Synology NAS on my network loaded with CD rips and some high res in FLAC format). I have my Synology NAS connected to my Airport Extreme router upstairs. My hi-fi setup is downstairs, where my aim is to stream wirelessly (from iOS device via AirPlay or from Synology NAS via UPnP) to the Hegel. I understand that the Hegel requires a direct connection via ethernet to a router. Will a WiFi “extender" suffice like the Airport Express (as ethernet bridge) connected to the Hegel? I don't want to drag my modem, router, NAS and all cables downstairs. Nor do I have the option of running an ethernet cable (which would be ideal I know). I want to keep hi-fi setup neat and tidy.

All suggestions and recommendations are appreciated.

Eloise is right. Provided the wireless signal is strong and fast enough (and the bar isn't very high), connecting an H160 to your WLAN via an Airport Express will work fine. I've done this with no issues.

(Disclaimer: I'm an authorized Hegel dealer.)