IGNORED

Rega DAC-R - what is your opinion?

It's extremely musical and enjoyable, what you'd call foot tapping and PRAT. I had it for a while on loan and it would be perfectly at home in any setup.

Take a look at Arcam if you have the chance. I'd use the same words to describe them... very musical. You can listen to them for hours and forget everything else, kind of get you involved emotionally and actually listening to and even enjoying the music. Not many DACs can do that. FWIW, I'd go back to my Arcam in a heartbeat, it was pure joy.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

No, not that. Haven't heard it.

It was a budget friendly one, the irDAC (around $700). Extremely musical, warm, the same sound signature as the entire Arcam range.

It's the opposite of the dry, clinical accuracy of some DACs, but extremely musical. I'm not saying it lacks in detail, it does not, but its real strength is in timing. Will get your feet tapping for sure.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

I am only tempted to upgrade for greater upsampling capabilities.

Don't. At least don't sell it off. I miss my Arcam the most.

Do upgrade, but keep the Arcam too. Of all the DACs I've used, I love the Arcam the most. Truly you can listen for hours and even days without any fatigue.