IGNORED

The Comparison Thread for Recovery USB Reclocker, the Regen and similar devices... (Curated Thread)

Hello All:

To centralize a thread devoted to comparisons of the W4S Recovery USB Reclocker (RUR) and UpTone Audo Regen and any other device with similar or related delivery of improved sonic quality by improving signal integrity, impedance matching, etc., this is the thread to post your comparisons. Please include information about your system's configuration and connections. The resulting conversations about those comparisons are better served by members who have actual experience. To be clear, please, posts about measurements to validate members' experience for their comparisons are better located at a thread other than this one.

I personally wil be ready tomorrow, February 2nd, to publish my review of the RUR and then a comparison with the Regen. I do not employ the Intona USB Isolator, and presently have no plans to procure one. I might want to compare a tandem inline configuration of the RUR and the Regen a the same time.

I thought it would be expedient to start this thread in advance of publishing a comparison.

Please take notice that the focus of this thread is not a competition between excellent devices designed and fabricated by Wyred4Sound, UpTone Audio, and other innovators.

The focus is to provide a resource of information about the field of these devices, member's experience with them and the sonic quality they contribute when added to one's system.

Please understand, further, posts that denigrate a product is not useful. That is, favorable or unfavorable is acceptable. Trashing or arguments about measurements to validate one's experience is a thread for another thread. Not this one. As curator, I will insist on this.

Clearly each device brings real time experiences which member's may concur with or dispute based on real time experience. Those who have no experience are invited to post elsewhere. I feel the need to make this clear so that this thread does not devolve into a free for all which loses the thread of the fabric of this thread.

I should have a contribution for a comparison of the RUR and the Regen after tomorrow.

Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Best,

Richard

Hello All:

I was recently contacted by a member who essentially had problems with the thread as described. I won't go into his/or her interpretations. But given the response, let me be clear so I won't have to handle another PM with someone's fancies telling me what I mean as if their interpretation is the one that matters and not what I wrote.

At CA with posts as with emails, the possibility for misconstruing another poster's words is high. So,

Let me be clear, I created this thread primarily so that I and others could if so desired post comparisons of certain devices here instead of littering a thread devoted to any one of those devices. In my case, I started a Wyred4Sound Recovery USB Reclocker. I also own a UpTone Audio Regen.

To avoid comparing the two devices at my Recovery thread, I thought it provident to create a thread where I and others could post their own comparisons of the two devices. And by including in the title other devices which I chose to leave open-ended, one member read that as excluding certain named devices and admonished me for slanting the thread as an indicator of my bias. Bless the member. That couldn't be farther from the truth.

And other similar devices was left open-ended for example, and I hope the member is reading this so he can get his act together and get off mine, Light Harmonic has just release their LightSpeed Revive, a USB Regenerator. So,

And other devices will now include the LightSpeed Revive. I was aware of this device was in development but not when or if it would ever be released (wouldin't be the first time word got around but the device didn't). I didn't list per se the Intona USB Isolator, but I guess it fits the and similar devices as it is primarily for galvanic isolation and members employ it to add to their existing regenerator, i.e. Regen.

I may not be interested in the Intona and said so in my earlier post, BUT!

I never said anyone else can't post in this thread and make a comparison. A comparison is what this thread is for. There are enough Intona threads as needed i.e. The Regen Intona which one thread.

This thread is not intended to promote a single device but rather to compare and contrast and thusly to help others determine how they differ, what that difference means, and which may be the better choice for actual experiencial reasons, not suppositions, or opinions absent real time experience.

Thank you for your attention. I hope I have succeeded in clearly up anyone's angst about what my intentions are hard as I try to make them explicit as possible. And please, no arguments. Let this thread not turn into a battle field or your post will not remain. This thread is intended as a resource for comparisons only and for all similar devices named or un-named as long as they fit the functionality of the other devices being compared, i.e. Regen and Intona, Recovery and Regen, and now LightSpeed Revive and (whatever).

Best,

Richard

Hello All:

Finally getting around to posting my comparison of the Wyred4Sound Recovery USB Reclocker (RUR) and the UpTone Audio Regen (Regen). Be prepared for a rather epic comparison in the length I go to. I do so to be fair to both devices. And I assure you that my comparison is sincerely made. The assessments are not based on any technical competencies. They are based entirely as a CA member and user expressing an opinion from direct experience which is at best subjective. But it's my opinion and as valid and congruent with no other agenda but to rate the two devices and offer my best assessment to the membership. Whether or not it has currency is not in my control.

I can save members the time for those who would prefer I cut to the conclusion so they can omit reading a fairly long post that provides the details in support of my comparison.

My Conclusion first:

Often I acknowledge how subjective my comments are as they are my direct experience, sensory specific, but clearly an assessment that has no traditional proofs. My outcome is not to prove one device is the better of the two? I am not interested in objective measurements and analysis. That information does not tell me how I feel about what it sounds like to me. I am the only person who can accomplish that. And the same will hold true for the next member who might come along and post a comparison in total dispute with mine. That's fine with me. I am not invested in the devices, the company that makes them, or in convincing/persuading any member of the validity of my conclusions.

In my conclusion, I have spent time with the Regen since June 2015 and with the RUR only two Friday's ago. However together with the introduction of Rob Woodland's Full Loom Curious Cables, I spent over eight days of breakin accumulating over 100+ hours for the RUR and over 200 hours for the Full Loom of Curious Cables so that my comparison would be as fair as possible.

I am posting the comparison at this thread I started so as not derail my own RUR thread or any of the Regen threads. Additionally, I have made room for other devices, although not specifically named, the only requirement is that they are similar in function.

Between the RUR and the Regen, in my opinion, the RUR is in a class by itself. After what I believe is a sufficient breakin, the combination of the RUR and the Full Loom CC are marvelous; and as a computer audio enthusiast since 2011, I have never experienced the excellence and auditory Nirvana in the sonic quality enabled by the RUR fed by the Full Loom from source to RUR and RUR to my Wyred4Sound Dac2 DSDse.

There determinans for me are several. I give the build quality and the feedback indicators to the RUR. Both devices are tiny and easily installed. While the Regen has an orange light that indicates power to the unit, the RUR provides two green dots of lights in a vertical arrangement that indicates the following: 1. Signal lock, and, 2.lower dot of light, USB type, i.e. when lit, USB 2.0 is connected, when dark, 1.0. Power is not indicated but is self evident.

Connections for the cables and DC power are excellent for their tolerances, i.e. the fit is exceptional, neither loose nor hard to connect. In this category both RUR and Regen are a match.

I have no technical competencies so I did not consider other than the build quality the parts quality and excellence of design. The two devices are not the equal of each other. Not even close. If that sounds harsh, that may account for the flaw in my experience of the Regen, which at first was impressive in delivering an improved SQ. But with it came down sides which affected lower bass response, blurry and mitigated, and though instrument voicing and vocals were better in details, along with a better defined soundstage proportionally and location, there was an element of edgy, steely, hated glossy overlay of brightness to end result that intruded not only on my enjoyment of the music, but over time was fatiguing. It was ever present and with a resolving system and a favorite software player, Amarra Symphony with iRC, it took away more than it gave.

Not so with the RUR. Like the Regen, a change in the SQ was immediately apparent out of the box. What was startling was the sub modalities of the sonic quality, i.e. the details of the instruments voicing, fingers on the fret board, plucking strings, lower bass response was well defined (is that what tight means) and had a mass to the lower bass that sounds so true. I have spent many nights at The Vanguard, NYC since I was a teenager, seated up close sometimes or a few rows of tables into the audience and know what live performances create sensorily. Brushes against th snare drums, sticks against the rim, cymbals that don't sizzle, I can almost see them. There's a synesthesia that is ever present, auditory to visual to kinesthetic. The piano voicing (given production quality is present) is the most natural I have heard. Just ask Bill Evans during one of his live performances at the Village Vanguard, in 1961, Disc 1 of 3. The soundstage is 3 dimensional. And that I believe is enhanced by the artistry of the Full Loom CC which adds to elements of dimensionality, to which I am highly attuned.

Does the Regen produced those elements? Yes, but on a scale of zero (0) to ten (10) with ten the highest, in my opinion, the Regen at best is a 5 or 6, the RUR is a ten. I know this is subjective, but it is my subjectivity. You'll have your chance as soon as you take it.

Where the Regen enhances the dynamics of the soundstage, the RUR takes it further and the first time I actually heard the RUR at listening volume, I almost fell out of my near field chair. I was beta testing a new Amarra For TIDAL HIFI build, to interrupt my preparation of the RUR for my review at my thread, and turned up the volume and forgot it was streaming. What a beta build! Bill Frisell is trespassing in my listening room. And was both startled and over taken with the quality of the presentation. And then it dawned on me; this is the beta build playing admirably, and the RUR and Full Loom have brought the artists into the room. That 's a soundstage of a different dimension.

Whatever EJ Sarmento designed for the RUR has distinguished the RUR from the Regen maximally and in combination with the Full Loom CC producers the finest SQ. The Regen while it has it merits, is severely limited by comparison. I am keeping the RUR and selling my Regen, not because it is inferior in my opinion, but because there is someone who will find it superior, and that person is not me.

The RUR has my highest recommendation. I am so enthralled with its rendition that I am purchasing a second one for my KEFX300A next door. Once one has had a taste of the RUR and Full Loom combination, well you know what comes next. So I am getting on line for the next RUR.

The RUR is the highest recommendation, I could ever give, and for a pittance in cost. What it delivers is priceless.

Longer than intended. Got carried away, but understandably so. I leave the details below for those who might be interested. If not, don't bother.

Thank you for your attention.

I'll bid you a good read upper or lower or both.

The music's the thing; the equipment seduces,

Richard

Composed on my iPad Air 2 so any typos are expected)

The details in support of my for conclusion

I started a thread focusing on the Wyred4Sound RUR when a CA member encouraged me to centralize posts about the RUR rather than sort through my thread about the Wyred4Sound Dac2 DSDse. That made sense to me.

I purchased the whole lot of UpTone Audio products, to wit: the JS-2 LPS, the Regen, the MMK power supply replacement for the Mac Mini factory power supply and the additional fan controller, and one customs built coax cable to power the Regen from DC1 output of the JS-2 LPS.

My focus of comparison is only for the Regen and the RUR.

I purchased the Wyred4Sound Recovery USB Reclocker nearly a month ago but only received nearly two weeks ago this Friday. I was one of the lucky purchasers as only ten (10) were originally shipped last week because a third party supplier short shipped an essential part.This is actually not material to my comparison. But as of last Tuesday the remaining and new orders started shipping on a first come first serve basis.

The recommended breakin for the RUR is ~50 hours. I waited to accumulate 100+ hours before reviewing the RUR in a separate thread.

Since June of 2015 I had been employing the Regen, powered by the JS-2 LPS connection with the custom built coax cable to the Regen. The Regen ships with a Mean Well SMPS 7.5V and a hard adapter and a six (6") inch USB cable. Alex Crespi and John Swenson, both CA members, are the principals, and have provided abundant information and recommendations for setting up the Regen. The reception by the CA member community was overwhelming and the Regen continues to sell out faster than the factory can manufacture them. Threads appeared galore. I arrived late to the party but had the advantage of reading about what was recommended for step up, that is, the preferred setup which also included recommendations and admonishments. How can one miss?

My setup was a Light Harmonic LightSpeed 0.8m (standard, red) to the addition of the Regen with the supplied hard adapter to the Wyred4Sound Dac2 DSDse. The Regen was powered by the Mean Well 7.5, only for a short time, then I switched over to the JS-2 LPS DC1 at 7V as 7.5 was only available when employing the Mean Well SMPS, which was described by Alex Crespi as the best SMPS he could find. Maybe, but comparing the Regen powered by the Mean Well at 7.5V and the JS-2 LPS at 7V, guess which PS was favored? Was it a night and day difference? No! Was it better with the JS-2? Yes and discernible enough to confirm my decision. What do you do with a $925. LPS but use it. The Mac Mini was powered by DC2 output at 12V with the supplied coax cable. I had to purchase an extra cable for the Regen. Why Not get the best available. There was much feedback about the benefits of higher voltage to run the Regen instead of the 7.5V or 7V. Some said 9V. Some preferred even 12V. I settled on 9V. And I discerned a difference.

What came next was rather disappointing. And left me confused about what to do with the Regen. Specifically, once inserted into my main system, I immediately discerned an improvement in sonic quality. A highly favorable improvement. I reviewed the Regen either at a thread I started or at a thread already started. And more than once commented on the Regen at other threads. You could trip over the number of threads about the Regen. Members mostly loved it and some not so much. The reviewers loved it.

I had mixed feelings after awhile. I discovered that attendant with the improvements sonically, the Regen also introduced an edgy, over bright quality that hardened the SQ to the point of making me think about all the time. Not only how it sounded, but how I felt about the sound. I was beside myself. I also noticed that the lower base response which was so good as to be a joy was somewhat blunted. This despite other members who said the Regen transformed the bass response tighter, etc. Not for me. The Regen added a blurt/duller affect to the lower bass but improved or at least rendered the mid/upper bass very well. The instrument voices, soundstage width, height, vocals all improved, But,

That bright gloss that coated the SQ and persisted while the hours of playtime accumulated was NOT acceptable. What to do. I stumbled on a review at a CA thread of the AudioQuest JitterBug (AQJB, a neumonic which I created and is generally used now even by Gordin Rankin, the designer for AudioQuest).

I connected the AQJB in line with the LightSpeed USB cable to the Regen, and immediately discerned a diminution of the brightness, but not enough. Two AQJBs were acceptable so I added a second AQJB to the next USB output port on the back of my Mac Mini using an extender (6") to accomodate the tight fit (no room) for side by side AQJBs without the extender. The second AQJB tamed the brightness further but still it lingered; and while better NOT good enough.

And then out of the blue, one day I turned on my system selected an album and no sound. To get to the cause, I discovered my Dac was missing from the AMS (Audio Midi System). No Dac? Oh no! Alex Crespi warned in a post that some Regen Ambers were improperly fabricated with too much solder that could heat up and cause the board to lift and the unit to fail. But not too worry the chances of getting one was unlikely. I must acknowledge Alex for how quickly he replaced my defective Regen. I wasn't happy about the failed unit, but very appreciative of the way Alex expedited a replacement. While we're on failed units, his JS-2 LPS, or rather my JS-2 a few days after the replaced Regen died and with it my entire system. Again Alex trouble shooted and given his experience diagnosed a blown fuse. No spare provided requiring I purchase one. Once replaced, the JS-2 lit up and the system with it.

My favorite software player is the Amarra Symphony with iRC. In Playlist mode, in my opinion, no other player is better. With ASwiRC the Regen took away as much as it gave. With roon the SQ was more forgiving. I prefer ASwiRC. What to do?

When I learned about Wyred4Sound's RUR, given my history of components since 2011 when I started into computer audio and purchased the W4S Dac2, the STP-SE preamp, and the SX-1000 X2 mono blocks, these components produced a sonic quality I loved and Amarra Symphony together worked beautifully and with my KEF Reference 107s (circa 1986), I was thrilled. Upgrades to the Dac2 DSDse and to the Femto Clock modification and the STP-SE Stage 2 practically turned my system into a new one even better than before the updates. Never thought I could be that good.

I placed an order for the RUR in a flash without any hesitation or research other than to read the more information which was rather perfunctory in its description. I was one of the lucky ten (10) who were shipped the RUR which arrived two Friday's ago. Given the User Manual recommended ~50 hours, I started a four day 24 breakin at a whisper volume setting. Four days? That's twice the number of hours recommended.

After replacing the Regen (the replace Regen exhibited that same bright glossy SQ) with the RUR which was a simple matter and brought the RUR further from my Dac2 DSDse, I also replaced the hard adapter which was recommended by Alex Crespi and John Swenson over the six inche USB cable they also supplied but let us know was not recommended. I did not know better yet I was not crazy about the hard adapter. Other members pursued other cables and connectors apparently not satisfied either. The threads were inundated with different cable solutions and lengths and modifications to improve the Regen. I almost got caught up in that pursuit but did not feel a green light to proceed so I stuck it out with the hard adapter and the bright sound.

Once I learned about the existence of another solution for the hard adapter, to wit: Rob Woodland's Curious Cable.com's product line which included a design especially for the Regen called the Cuious Regen Link 200mm cable (about six inches), again thank you to CA members who found a solution and shared that solution with the rest of us. I ordered the CRL200mm. It cost $120. including shipping (free). Good-bye hard adapter. Hello CRL200mm. The improvement was so noticeable, I did not pause despite Rob Woodland's admonition to take one step at a time after I expressed relunctance to give up on my LigthSpped $999 USB cable. That lasted about four days. Reading about the advantages of a Full Loom of Curious Cables, I decided to go for it. Now with the Full Loom of CC, the RUR, I kept my system at whisper volume for the next eight (8) days while breakin in the Recovery so that I could compare the RUR to the Regen.

The rest is history. The conclusion fills in what that history to the Present revealed. The RUR is the highest recommendation, I could ever give, and for a pittance in cost. What it delivers is priceless

Thanks for this write-up. Interesting journaling. You will smile in that I have almost the exact same electronics as you, except my STP-SE is not Level 2, and my monoblocks are mAMPs.

Ordering the RUR now. Will drop you a line with the result.

Hello Todd,

So as to not OT here, may I PM you re mAMPs?

Best,

Richard

Richard,

Thanks for taking the time to perform this comparison and the detailed and thoughtful comments. You are an asset to the CA community.

If you had to assign a score for the improvement from using the Uptone JS2 LPS in place of the supplied smps for the RUR, what would it be on a scale of 1-10?

Hello Blake,

Thank you for your kind words. You are also an asset to the community as you provide a prodigious feedback mechanism for music and other matters of consequence, for example, the Curious Cable enticements with you and Rob working on providing useful applications of his product.

You pose a great question. I purposefully based my 3-part review in part prompted by what I read as Alex Crespi inappropriate intrusion with admonishments for methodology which were not unsolicited by highly rude and not appreciated by a number or members and outside the circles of CA. However, I certainly don't want to start a us against them as I am speaking entirely for myself; and I am more than able to represent myself.

With that out of the way, to respond to your question, if you allow me, the equation must include a third element, i.e. The Full Loom of CC which was in place in my system when I first experienced RUR full "on" with 100+hours , twice the recommended ~50 hours (RUR User Manual, 1.0, page 3, available at W4S website).

I don't want to be facile about this, by that I mean, give you a knee-jerk, Oh, it's definitely X/10 vs Y/10. Allow me this: I wasn't eager to install the SMPS, but I decided to remove Alex Crespi's excuse to offer his unsolicited admonitions, and checked in with EJ, if I was providing reliable information to the CA community. Not to obscure, but to know whether I had a Regen 6" USB Cable where Alex recommended NOT to use it in favor of the hard adapter. EJ's a straight shooter. He's honest, says what he means, means what he says. And he was in favor of my switching from the JS-2 to the SMPS supplied with the RUR.

Where as I? I was surprised after making the switch. I remember the Mean Well 7.5V SMPS supplied with the Regen. First blush, OK, nothing blew up, Regen's new to me, Mean Well's new maybe it can get better. Well, I switched to the JS-2, and guess what? It got better. Alex had set my JS-2 to 7V. The post exchanges included various Volt settings that were rated as preferable to 7.5/7V. I decided on changing 7V to 9V. You know, it's subtle. I don't know if this computes, but some vacuum cleaners have a swivel on the tubing that allows one to decrease the suction pressure. In certain circumstances, full on is too much suction so one can swivel the ring and open the tube in different degrees to offset the pressure (decease the pressure). With a setting of 9V vs 7V on the JS-2, the reverse of the example I just provided proved true for me. 9V had a beneficial influence, mostly felt, I doubt I heard it. I left it at 9 for awhile and forgot about it.

The SMPS supplied with the RUR is 9V. The night before, having turned up the volume to listening volume (pressure) for the first time in 8 days to beta test an Amarra For TIDAL new beta build, with JS-2, RUR, Full Loom, I was blown away by a magnificent SQ. Never before.

Tne next day, I disconnected the custom build coax from the RUR and connected the SMPS 9V and turned on my system. The double lights lit up (I watched for that to show signal lock and USB 2.0). I selected the same album as the night before, at the same volume, Bill Frisell's When You Wish Upon A Star, but not via TIDAL HIFI, rather Amarra Symphony 3.0.3 wiRC in Playlist mode (no iTunes, only the Amarra Engine, and with gapless play automatically, gain bypass selected) so only my preamp can regulate volume, and the Bill Frisell was the same album but downloaded the day before coincidentally from HDtracks.com AIFF, 96/24.

Several changes from the night before. I was taken with how good it sounded with the SMPS 9V. I played the André Previn, Joe Pass, Ray Brown After Hours UHD (Ultra High Definiton) 32 Bit redbook with glorious SQ. It was! Even better than the Bill Frisell. More surprise. Finally, the Bill Evans' The Complete Village Vanguard Recordings, 1961, Disc 1 of 3, AIFF, XLD conversion to 44.1/16. All three albums sounded better than I would ever have thought. In fact I haven't yet changed back to the JS-2.

I would assess the RUR, with the Full Loom CC, and the SMPS 9V when playing back with your favorite software player, and an excellent production quality album a 7.5/10 to 8.0./10. Without a contrast frame, I could have been content with the SMPS. With the JS-2, same cabling and albums, player, 9.5/10 to 10/10. Please note, the albums I selected I am very familiar with except for the Frisell which is brand new. With the SMPS 9V they never played better except with the JS-2, but I attribute that to the RUR/Full Loom. My whole library so far doesn't sound the same as before. It's better.

I believe you were expecting a sentence. Sorry.

Best,

Richard

Thanks Richard. Much appreciated. I will check out the RUR.

Hello Blake,

You have a a lovely system. I am eager to discover, should you choose to follow through, what advantage the RUR might afford you. I am interested in the variety of system configurations, connections, and what the introduction of the RUR accomplishes across the spectrum of systems configurations.

If you do add the RUR, please feel free to report your findings when you can.

Best,

Richard

RUR ordered.

Looking forward to giving it a workout.

Hello Blake,

Congratulations on the purchase of the RUR. I am so looking forward to your assessment with configuration/connections information.

I noticed you sold your two (2) Regens. And I have just posted the sale of my Regen. We both have taken excellent care of the Regen, and someone will purchase the Regen in the best condition.

Given how taken I am with the RUR, I know I would not employ the Regen at any time in the Future.

I also have two AQJB that are fine but just not needed. Admittedly, I did not return them to my system as the quality of SQ is so desirable, I am not curious if the AQJB improves on it or not.

I downloaded the Three's Company binaural+ from HDtracks.com which CheskyRecords made available for a very generous 25% discount. And I so enjoyed the production quality. I mention this because I am interested in continually assessing the RUR with as many recordings that share excellent production quality to validate my assessment of the RUR along with the Full Loom CC. I continue to assess the same high quality, exceptional, delivery of the music such that my enjoyment is at a state of the best yet. At some point, I need to relax about the RUR and Full Loom CC and just accept the level of enjoyment as not going to go away. The only fluke I am aware of is a fish. (Smile).

I don't know if the short shipment of the USB cable to Wyred4Sound will add a few day to your shipment. Perhaps not. In any case, look forward to your assessment.

Enjoy the music,

Richard

Thanks Richard. My order shows as "completed" but I don't have a tracking number. This is my first purchase from W4S so I'm not sure if "completed" means the item has shipped or just that they acknowledge my payment.

Your welcome, Blake. I am familiar (smile). When W4S ships, Ashlynne will email you an invoice and tracking number. Nothing is left to guesswork. They are very thoughtful about informing us so we know when to expect delivery.

Best,

Richard

Richard: So far this thread has turned out to be more of a "why I love the RUR" discussion than a comparison of multiple USB reclocker plus technologies. Given that these technologies are now proliferating rapidly, I'd love to see whether any of the more technical folks on CA have a view on how much of what we are "liking" about these products is true signal improvement and how much is the equivalent of euphonic harmonics in LP's (we like it but it isn't necessarily more accurate).

Maybe this falls into the "we haven't developed the technology to measure the stuff that's actually being improved" category. I'm not one of the "there is no difference until I can reliably measure it" crowd, but when a whole bunch of people start inventing similar technologies, it usually suggests there is something going on that can be measured, if we have the right instruments with the right level of sensitivity and know what we are looking for (which should in this case now be far clearer than it was three years ago).

Hello sdolezalek,

Welcome to the thread.

No, this thread has indicated what the purview is followed by a comparison fairly arrived at. And your characterization of what I have openly presented in conformance with the criteria I set is your perspective. I compared the two devices and arrived at a conclusion. Please don't reduce what I presented in the perspective that you regard it as if I did not take pains to support both devices and my conclusion.

And while I do love the RUR, I have good reason to which I have described in detail. My conclusion is based on sensory specific experience. Feel free to ignore the import or validity of my conclusions.

This thread as I designed it will not address your needs. Allow me to suggest that you start your own thread, set the focus of the thread as you would want and post there. This thread will not answer your requirements for you need to satisfy your criteria for what equals a comparison.

And I beg to differ with you. This thread welcomes users who are actually employing the Regen and then the RUR. If one wishes to compare those two with a third they are welcome to. But I was very careful to set the criteria for this thread, and any departure from that focus will not make it. Actual experience by a user and their subjective assessment.

I read your post very carefully. It's curious how you direct the meaning and then introduce a different destination. This thread is not going to turn into an objective vs subjective. It started as subjective and will remain so.

Hence, my invitation for you to start you own thread which will provide you with what you assess is material to the performance of the RUR. I believe I am being candid with you and respectful of what you meets your perspectives. Just not here in this thread as it I took great pains to make the focus of this thread manifest.

BTW: I respect you. Your perspective. And the gorgeous ambiance you created for your home and system. Clearly your taste for design is in my opinion of high order. I find no fault in what you require. Just not here. I am not judging the value of your criteria. I am merely telling you we're not interested in measurements to valid what our senses tell us. Go forth and design a thread as elegant as your home so that other of your ilk will feel better about the conclusions arrived at.

Thank you for your thoughts.

Best,

Richard

Richard: You are correct in that I failed to read your original post carefully enough and I missed the following sentence:

I will respect that and post elsewhere. I would only observe here, that those who ignore measurements and rely only on subjective comparisons probably miss as much as those who discount subjective impressions in favor of blind allegiance to measurements. I find the best results come from using one side to influence the other and vice-versa. Keeping objective and subjective separated avoids the ability to use one to improve upon the other.

In the meantime, I look forward to hearing further subjective impressions from those owning RURs, Regens and more! :)

Hello sdolezalek,

Thank you for caring enough to delve into the original post that set up this thread. How about the following so that there is an accord which may or may not meet your criteria. Let me know what would validate any conclusions arrived at, if that is even possible, and I will contact EJ Sarmento and ask him what he might share with the membership that addresses your concerns for material measurements. For my part I will do that because, I am not opposed.

You might conclude that from EJ it might be self-serving, but if you would welcome such information provided he could or would furnish us with these measurements, I will ask him. As for the Regen, I would delegate that to you if you accept my request as my plate is full as it is. Please don't regard the suggestion that I delegate anything to anyone as arrogance, but I thought we might divide the task between us.

Now, if this is satisfactory to you, what would you wish to know that is of a technical information. I can't gauge what is proprietary and what is available to publish. And frankly, I making all of this up on the spot.

Let me know, if you care to.

Best,

Richard

Richard: Perfectly reasonable request. In each case there is a balance between giving away the secret sauce (which I'm not asking for) and contributing to a broader understanding of makes these units work (which is what I'm trying to get at) and just using specs to argue this is better than that (which I'm also not interested in). Mmerrill99 framed what I think is a reasonable starter set (although it gets close to the secret sauce line). Maybe I would frame the question to EJ a bit differently, which is NOT so much "how did you solve the problem in the RUR better than others?", but more along the lines of "what are the critical issues that a great solution must address? Here the answers could go more toward LPS vs SMPS, better isolation, better clocks, cleaner reclocking (if I know what that means).

It is a little bit like asking Jussi what effects his different filters have rather than asking how he makes them. Learning that one filter provides better transient response but less even frequency response, another a bit more reverb, another great response but a bit too much ringing -- all those things contribute to our learning without giving away trade secrets on product design.

Does that help?

Hello Again,

My outcome has always been to create a resource for the membership in every thread I start. Perhaps, it's different for the Amarra software products than for the Wyred4Sound hardware products, Dac2 DSDse thread and presently, the Recovery, Recovery/Regen/other similar devices and Curious Cable threads which attract members who want more than I just loved the cable, the Recovery etc. I get that.

I have no plans to stretch this thread beyond the comparisons of similar devices which involves comparisons based in subjective criteria, knowing full well, a segment of the membership community require more than sensory specific comparisons. The remedy is simple and immediate, design a thread that matches your criteria. If you build it, they will come, n'est-ce pas?

I conceived the thread to be an amalgam of what worked best with what configurations and connections that worked best and what didn't work best. That won't change.

Your interest seeks to essentially add another perspective that considers more than sensory specific feedback and includes if provided by the manufacturer technical information that might explain more than the sensory experience of one device vs another. All that is required is a willing member to importune the manufacturer, and a thread that will be designed to receive that information and conversations around the comparisons. With an emphasis on starting another thread other than this one.

Does it help? I have no technical competencies and appreciate that you are not asking me to open up the Recovery and compare it to the Regen, which I am selling, btw; but presently no one is biting.

Given that this thread is a comparison thread, another thread must be started where if I have the requisite feedback and permission, I will show you mine if you show me yours, provided that EJ Sarmento who I am willing to contact to make him aware, if he isn't already, that some members are not asking for the secret sauce, but as you put it; and I will not subject everyone to even a longer post, I will pass on your interests as articulated precisely as you stated it, and invite EJ to respond.

If EJ is so inclined, or, if not, I will report back and drop the matter like a stone in the grasp of a black hole.

I have no interest in researching what Alex Crespi and John Swenson have related or to what degree they have described the information that matches your line of inquiry. I'll let you know to what extent I can provide information that is material to your interest about EJ's wonderful device. I will ask you to gather the same for the Regen; and we can create some method for making a comparison for the membership, again not here. You may not care for another thread on top of this and that's fine.

My question is a bit different. It's not, "Does that help?"; but, are you open to this project under the terms I am willing to abide by; and will you follow through? I'll wait for your response.

Whatever your response, I have and will maintain this thread as designed originally.

I'll even give you the lead for a title to the new thread.

Again, I'll wait for your response since your reply did not include the specifics of a shared responsibility and assignment of tasks.

And, now back to the scheduled thread already in progress. With a request to future posters, once again, this thread is not a station to make requests for what technical information you wish presented. It remains a thread for those members who employ the Recovery, the Regen and other similar devices who are interested in presenting their comparisons based on their direct experience and who wish to post a comparison for benefit of the rest of us.

Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Best,

Richard

Well what a busy world the USB space is indeed! So many new products, willing victims, or shall we call them pioneers? Or maybe we are all just trying to maximise that last ounce of musicality from our music systems, regardless of the cost? I am sure the detractors of USB have already penned thoughts, but REShaman has already made the context and direction of these well curated thread clear; so go on rain on someone else's parade.....

Ok let's give some background I was a fairly early adopter of Uptone Audio products, the JS2 and MMK fan kit for a 2012 late Mac Mini was one of my remarkable first steps in my most recent digital journey. I have already been through the streaming route in my previous lives; another story for sure.

I also was an early adopter of the Regen in both the green and amber versions. In fact I now have two Amber Regens.

I used to run both Amber Regens in serial fashion - I liked the initial change the Regen brought to the musical party. I have always run the Regens from the JS2, with a bespoke DC cable with Y adapter, that the most courteous Alex Crespi manufactured for me. I did use the original Meanwell SMPS with my first Regen, but I found it intolerable to listen longer than a few tracks with the Meanwell. The problem with the standard supply/supplies is one in which, if you have a well constructed and excellent performing linear supply already, like a JS2, any SMPS Walmart type supply is going to sound pretty rubbishy.....you have already been spoilt by the better supply. I think this applies regardless of the resolving and expense of the system. It's all about synergy listening to your system with the music playing - you will know the answer yourself, regardless of the time and money you may have spent.

A few months ago, I cottoned on to the reviews/heresay around the Internet on the Curious Cables from Rob Woodland - with Rob's money back guarantee around his cables - I thought what the hell.....I ended up with two CC links for both Regens, and an 80 cm USB cable. Let's call it the CC Full Loom+. The Curious cables sounded so right from the off, I have explained the effect they have in another thread, but they add a dimension to the sound, which makes listening so damn addictive and enjoyable for hours on end. I even forgot the burn in hours and just listened to the music

In recent weeks I accidentally on purpose purchased the Intona USB device. One it intrigued the geek inside me, two it reminded me of early Mac/PC construction in the 90's, and three, it was garnering favourable forum reviews/interest on a number of audiophile forums. Now with my Antelope DAC setup, I haven't yet managed to get the Intona running directly between my Mac mini and DAC; without my Regen being in the chain before the DAC. I have exchanged a number of emails with Daniel from Intona, and he believes he has a firmware fix for the Intona to use it between my Mac mini and Antelope DAC. The sound with the Intona and Regen together is quite remarkable. The Regen and Intona have an excellent synergy with the music - venue space is easily imagined. The timing, ( I think the term oft used is PRAT aka Linn/Naim forums) is engaging. The tones and instrument separation is greatly enhanced.

Now as as I mentioned earlier, I had two Regens, and the CC Loom+. Well the one Regen is currently redundant, and I will be looking to sell this one, as it is no longer needed. Now I am rather curious ( pardon the pun), since I have the Intona, I use one of the CC links connected between the Mac Mini and Intona. The 80cm CC cable Intona to Regen, and the final CC Link from Regen to DAC.

Last week I was packing up the One Regen and came across the hardlink USB adapter that came with the original Regen. In an attempt to get the Intona working sans Regen. I used the hard adapter between the Mac mini and the Intona, replacing the CC Link, and tried to connect the Intona with the CC 80 cm USB cable from Intona to the DAC.....still nothing.....I put the Regen back in the chain.....music again.....bliss. But in my haste I left the hard adapter between PC and Intona.....Whoa!! Where did that soundstage suddenly appear from? I kept this configuration, and just enjoyed the sound...the music just keeps drawing you in. Now was this just me hearing something different rather than improvement? I put the CC link back in this evening between PC and Intona and I expected the magical experience to grow further, but it didn't. The hard link easily sounds preferable in my system, my ears.....it's all about the synergy.

I think this confers indirectly, with what I have read in the Phasure site regarding the Intona, in that it gets better the closer to the PC and further away from the DAC the Intona device is placed. I would not have thought the hard adapter could sound better than the CCLink, but it does when feeding an Intona device from a PC.

Now I have made a few more accidental purchases, the RUR is on order, and the LightSpeed Revive also. When I receive the RUR, the Intona will be sent back for a firmware update. I should hopefully be in a position to compare all of them. But the story so far......goes to Intona/Regen, with caveat Hardlink at PC end and a CC Full Loom.....

Hello Evo1668,

Welcome to the thread.

Finally a member who writes longer posts than I do. And the CA award for best original post goes to Evo1668.

Thank you for your report. And what a report. Anybody looking for a comparison, look no further. And shortly, every similar device presently available that is similar will have been reviewed by Evo1668.

Appreciate that you have taken advantage of this thread to post your epic comparison, which is to be continued.

Best,

Richard

Well I am using a Bryston BDP-2 as my "PC". From the Bryston to the Intona to my PS Direct Stream Dac connected via CC cables I am getting glorious sound! Much better than previously with 2 Regens or with one Regen before or after the Intona. I also tried the new iFi iUSB 3.0 alone and before the Intona but, I still like the Intona solo. However, the iFi worked good when I just had the Regens.

I have also owned the Shiit Wyrd (useless) and some AQ Jitterbugs (not needed with present set up).

Now, I just received the Intona a few days ago so I don't know if it has the update that has been talked about but it works flawlessly with my set up.

I may try connecting the Intona closer to the Bryston usb with a short Curious link or the Hard adapter just to satisfy my curiosity.

Using the Intona by itself is better than having a Regen in the chain. But, I wonder how the RUR would fit in... Anyone try that combo?

Hello westy,

Welcome to the thread. Thank you for your comparison with configuration and connections information to help us understand the makeup of your system for which you are providing the comparison.

My experience is limited to the RUR and the Regen, but I believe shortly, you may read a post from a member who has just assembled that combo of Intona and RUR with the results to follow.

Thank you for dropping by

Enjoy the music,

Richard

I have two Intonas. I will be trying the Intona/RUR combo in my desktop system at work shortly (RUR is arriving tomorrow, but I will be burning it in for a while before doing any critical listening) and I will also try them separately.

The Intona is terrific in my work setup and I am very happy with the SQ upgrade it brings.

My Intona at home is not working with my Berkeley Alpha USB, so I won't be able to do a comparison yet at home, but Daniel is going to mail a field programmer to me so I can update the firmware myself. Daniel believes the Berkeley will work after I update the Intona's firmware.

To his credit, Daniel is also extending the return period.

Well I am using a Bryston BDP-2 as my "PC". From the Bryston to the Intona to my PS Direct Stream Dac connected via CC cables I am getting glorious sound! Much better than previously with 2 Regens or with one Regen before or after the Intona. I also tried the new iFi iUSB 3.0 alone and before the Intona but, I still like the Intona solo. However, the iFi worked good when I just had the Regens.

I have also owned the Shiit Wyrd (useless) and some AQ Jitterbugs (not needed with present set up).

Now, I just received the Intona a few days ago so I don't know if it has the update that has been talked about but it works flawlessly with my set up.

I may try connecting the Intona closer to the Bryston usb with a short Curious link or the Hard adapter just to satisfy my curiosity.

Using the Intona by itself is better than having a Regen in the chain. But, I wonder how the RUR would fit in... Anyone try that combo?

Hello Blake,

Thank you for stepping right in there. To westy, Your Universe is programmed to assist you. Just ask and as Matthew was known to say, It shall be given you.

Look forward to discovering what Blake assesses with the RUR and Intona USB Isolator or (IUI). How's that for a combo, RURIUI?

To be continued,

Richard

Blake,

That's too bad, the Intona solo is really the way to go.

I hope you can eventually compare the Intona solo to the Intona+ RUR combo.

If not, I may have to buy the RUR myself!...

Hello again,

Given my experience with the RUR, that would be a plus for you, I will predict, at least with the RUR in standalone, that you could not do any better. And if better includes the combo, then we will all learn something as it what works with your system and the results as you described them. I am just as curious if it should come from you.

RURready?

Best,

Richard

I got my Recovery in yesterday and unhooked my Regen and hooked this up in it's place. My PC could not find my Bifrost once I put the Recovery in. I hard booted everything in every manner possible to try and get my W10 to find the DAC. I deleted the drivers to the Bifrost and hooked the Recovery up and tried to re-load the Bifrost driver and the PC could not find it. Now I'm pissed.

I call W4S and talked to EJ about it. We done everything possible to trouble shoot the situation. I even hooked to my printer and the printer printed.

EJ was perplexed, and so was I. He asked me to send it back and he was getting with Schiit to get a Bifrost and do some testing.

He shared with me that the only other time they've had an issue with the Recovery was with a Mac system, and you guessed it... a Bifrost DAC.

I have to say that working with EJ was a pleasure. He took about an hour to try and help me and share with me some tips on my system.

I'm not easily swayed, but after talking to EJ, I'm considering to try out more of there products. I hope he gets it fixed.

Hello JW Audio,

Welcome to the thread. Sorry to learn of your troubles. Your experience with the Recovery would also be useful to the Recovery thread where the focus is on the Recovery, Configurations, connections and discussions.

Of course, you post where you wish. It's just that while this is a comparison thread for member users of similar devices and how they compare to each other, members who read the Recovery thread may not know about your issue with the Bifrost Dac and the Recovery.

If you care to post a brief assessment of your issue at the Recovery thread it will appreciated.

Your experience of EJ Sarmento has been my experience since 2011 when I first started in computer audio and purchase the Wyred4Sound Dac2, STP-SE preamp and SX1000 X2 mono blocks. I have enjoyed the customer relationship with EJ ever since. He stands by his products, offers the best customer service imaginable, and as a designer/innovator is an expert in his field. I'd even call him a genius. I have since upgraded all those components available for upgrades, i.e. The Dac 2 to Dac2 DSDse and the STP-SE to Stage 2. The SX1000 X2 remain as is and as is, is about as good as it gets, in my opinion. I leave them "on" 24/7 since 2011. Not one problem ever.

If you care to drop by the Recovery thread and let the readers know about your situation just in case they are not aware because they haven't read your experience posted in this thread with the Recovery and the Bifrost Dac.

In any case, good fortune with your problem. Hope EJ can get you "fixed" as the Recovery is as good as it gets in my opinion compared to my experience with the Regen.

Best,

Richard

RUR arrived yesterday. Installed in lieu of REGEN (see sig). Did not work; LEDs would not come on, DAC was not recognized, no music.

However, if REGEN is left in the chain upstream of RUR, everything works. But that does not allow for a comparison.

Have contacted Wyred 4 Sound support and await their answer.

Hello Guidof,

Welcome to the thread. There's good news along the way, as you must be aware of by now. The threads re Recovery and this one are well documented with what is the cause and what is the solutions and how fast that can be fixed, and what to do to expedite the matter.

So fear not, if you have already taken the steps to get this problem remedied by W4S, you soon have the RUR for your comparison.

Best,

Richard

You know, I just changed mine to the Intona feeding the RUR. I initially set up with the RUR FEEDING THE INTONA As I thought the low output of the Intona would not drive the RUR as it has been stated that the recovery needs USB power. However, as you, I have it flowing music.

A lot of variables to test. Many may not have a universal answer as the set up seems quite finicky in some systems.

In my experience that does not involve more than one device at a time, the RUR thrives on 9V. But that assessment is up to you. I just returned the AQJB X2 to the Full Loom CC to the Recovery and then removed one and posted my review at the Recovery thread.

Thank you for the variety of connections when employing multiple device in line.

Best,

Richard

The way I read Richard's/W4S's posts is that the RUR needs the 5V present for handshake purposes only. It's current draw is not specified. The Intona is perfectly capable to provide the 5V voltage up to a certain current draw. Up to around 300mA if I'm not mistaken, after that the voltage gradually drops to 4.5V. This is because it itself requires and uses USB bus power. This assuming there's 500mA to start with from the USB port.

Hello devs,

Thank you for translating in tech speak which I "stink" at. Hence my reason for going to the designer, what's his name? I'll think of it in time. Appreciate your reply. I notice you employ the devices that help you help us. For that I appreciate your post. I am sure there are knowledgable members who have opinions on what EJ Sarmento, yikes, I can see, and remember his name, intends. This thread is a comparison thread for members who use the devices to compare, it's for those members and for members who have an opinion about everything.

With appreciation for helping one member sort this out as a member who employs the very devices we are comparing.

Best,

Richard

Hi Richard:

I get that most choose to test one variable at a time. This has validity. However, in my situation I have been listening to the IUI (sic) in line by itself. So I am only adding one new variable to my system in adding the RUR.

I tend to listen for system synergy.....do components work well together? Does it sound musical? Does a component/cable introduce any unappealing artifacts to the listening experience?

When I owned my shop, after system set up in the four listening rooms, I introduced one variable at a time when adding/subtracting to the system. And now at home, I have introduced 1 new variable in adding the RUR to my system. I was extremely happy running the IUI alone between the computer and the dac via Curious Cable "loom"...(CCL ?). The IUI sound was significantly better than the Regen sound. And the IUI sounded better alone than in tandem with the Regen. (*In my system).

One more thing. The recognition of the particular boxes in line is extremely important. Before there can be a hand shake the computer, the 'box' (IUI, RUR or Regen) and the dac must know that there are three units in play. You have done a very good job of explaining this as you turn everything off and then make your changes. Then, upon 'turn on' they recognize each and shake hands. This seems to me, in my experience and in my system, to be extremely important. For those who have recognition problems, turning off the digital system to add or subtract components seems to be the way to go. keep up the good work. Both of your threads are well

documented. I will report later, after the RUR has some serious time on it, as to how the system sounds with and without it. However, I can concur that after just a few hours that it seems a very special unit !

Hello cpvniii,

Thank you for your kind remarks.

Yes, I agree entirely with your admonition for a valid methodology. When I began with the Regen I added one element at a time. As you observed. I always turned off the system and as I leave my W4S Dac2 DSDse, STP-SE Stage 2 preamp, SX1000 mono blocks "on" 24/7 and Bryston 10B Electronic Crossover and JL Audio F112 X2, I turn them off as well. Added the Regen and Mean Well and determined the SQ after turning on the whole system. Then added the JS-2 and powered the Regen removing the Meanwell at 7.5 volts. The JS-2 at 7, pre-set by Alex, in my opinion was better. But members were reporting different voltage settings, so I tried 9V and that had a better "feel" to the output. Less about how it sound and more about how it felt. I realize this is a subjective assessment. Then added the MMK to my Mac Mini (like open heart surgery) and powered the Mac Mini by the JS-2, DC2 at 12V. In my open it all came together and sounded much better.

One AQJB was added to the LightSpeed to the USB output port with the system shut down. Assessed for a day or two. Then a second AQJB was added to the next USB output port in standalone mode but with a six inch extender as the two AQJB can't fit side by side. Turned the system back on and assessed the addition of the second AQJB.

At that time the LightSpeed 0.8m (Standard, red) was employed. When I added the CRL200mm to replace the hard adapter, I shut down the system, but stopped after the SX1000, leaving the Bryston and F112 X2 "on". And assessed the CRL200mm for for days. I ordered the Curious Cable 0.8m. And added that cable after shutting down the system including the SX1000 X2.

After 100+ hours on the Full Loom CC, the RUR arrived. Shut down the system, removed the AQJB X2 and replaced the Regen with the RUR. No AQJB X2 to be clear. Just the RUR with the CC08m to the Recovery to the CRL200mm to the W4S Dac2 DSDse. Turned the system back on, checked the vertical green lights, and for four days added 100+ hours to the RUR. With the RUR at 100+ hours and the Full Loom CC at 200+ hours, I shut down the system, connected the SMPS 9V supplied with the RUR, turned on the system, played three full albums employing Amarra Symphony with iRC in Playlist mode, while I wrote my first review of the RUR but using the SMPS supplied. Then for several days left the SMPS and listened.

Removed the SMPS 9V and returned the JS-2 custom cable from DC1 at 9V to the RUR. Concluded that while close in performance with the SMPS 9V at 7.5-8.0 out of 10, the JS-2, DC1 9V at 9.5-10.0 out of 10 was preferred.

I also removed the the RUR and connected the CC08m by itself to the W4S Dac2 DSDse. Was it better alone than the LightSpeed alone? I would call it a tie or so close as not to be a clear preference of one over the other. But with the Full Loom CC and the RUR, there was no comparison. I preferred the Recovery/Full Loom CC to the Regen/Full Loom CC.

After several days, I was curious (no pun intended) about returning one AQJB at a time to determine what, if anything, the AQJB added to the RUR. Each time I made a change the system is turned off, so I'll stop explaining this.

I wasn't the only person interested in what the AQJB might accomplish. So was EJ. I returned the AQJB to the CC08m, turned on the system, confirmed the 2 vertical green dots were lit, and listened. I was confounded by the result. While the addition of the AQJB improved the SQ with the Regen/LightSpeed/hardadapter the addition of the AQJB with the CC08m/Recovery/CRL200mm added a gloss of brighter, digital, colder/harder SQ but also maintained the clarity of sound. It removed the gorgeous SQ with just the RUR in line. I did not care for the change.

Shut down the system and added the second AQJB in standalone with extender cable next to the AQJB connected to the CC08m and listened. It did not change the result. I did care for the result. Turned off the system, removed the first AQJB and left the standalone AQJB with extender. The improvement was dramatic. The SQ I find to be the best I have experienced returned. And I was relieved. Do I leave the second AQJB installed? I removed the second AQJB after turning off the system. And turned the system back on but NO sound from my main system. No vertical lights. I removed the CC08m from the USB output port from the Mac Mini, and returned the cable. The vertical lights were lit. Then restarted my Mac Mini. Everything was restored. I don't think the restart was necessary. The RUR with the addition of one AQJB alone is a toss up. I haven't returned it, but it didn't hurt when installed. Maybe I'll return the one AQJB.

My experience with the Recovery and the Full Loom CC has been the best in SQ sonic signature quality I have ever experienced. The Regen improved but the SQ that accompanied its inclusion along with other changes in low/mid bass response and a slightly blurry mids and the addition of an glossy edgy, brighter, even harsh overly digital SQ was unacceptable to me and bordered on fatiguing. It removed me from the enjoyment of the music, as I was constantly reminded of what I was hearing that did not match what I prefer. The RUR and the Full Loom CC has provided me with the best SQ ever. My outcome isn't to denigrate the Regen at all. It's to deliver the enjoyment of music to me and to provide a context for others to consider what might deliver the same or similar to their system. If it does, wonderful. It's a splendid outcome.

Thank you for your attention. I tend to write long posts. So peruse as you please. And EJ Sarmento who I have had a relationship as customer since 2011, delivers the best customer service I have experienced. And so does Alex Crespi.

No experience with the IUI or the Revive. But others have and this thread is a resource for all of us who have committed to any of these devices and seek to compare them in actual experience and convey that experience to the rest of us. But one must have these devices in their system for this thread to be on topic.

The music's the thing; the equipment seduces.

Best,

Richard