IGNORED

Sonore microRendu

Looking forward to this one!

This is how intend to use it to simplify mu setup. Counting from the router (a bit simplified…)

Messy today:

Router -> FMC -> FMC -> MacMini -> JitterBug -> Regen Green -> USB cable -> Regen Amber -> DAC

Simpler tomorrow:

Router -> FMC -> FMC -> microRendu -> DAC

With the micrRendu the MacMini (now running RoonServer instead of NAA) will have its UpTone tweaks removed and the JS-2 power supply moved to the micrRendu.

Roon client on iPad/MacBookPro

Roon Server & HQPlayer on Mac Mini 2.0 GHz i7 with JS-2

LPS-1 & ultraRendu → Lampizator Atlantic → Bent Audio TAP-X → Atma-sphere M60 → Zero autoformers → Harbeth Compact 7 ES-3

• 5 weeks later...

Awesome! Sign me up!

Im counting on it outperforming my tweaked mac mini. This little box will simplify my setup in a big way.

LPS-1 & ultraRendu → Lampizator Atlantic → Bent Audio TAP-X → Atma-sphere M60 → Zero autoformers → Harbeth Compact 7 ES-3

Well, you will have about 2h playtime with 7h changing...

The microRendu is based on a Cubox-i (https://www.solid-run.com/freescale-imx6-family/cubox-i/cubox-i-specifications/)

Depending on the model it needs 5V *max* 2-3A.

The microRendu needs minimum 1A according the the specs. At 2.5 AH that gives you 2-2.5 h listen time.

Well, there you go. Thank you John!

That KingRex battery will work after all.

I stand corrected! Should learn not to speculate...

No, the Rendu cannot be connected directly to the mini. It needs access to a network with a router.

Is the mini connected via wifi to the Airport? In that case you should be able to connect the Rendu via ethernet to the Airport.

• 2 weeks later...

@Dimitris71

It’s an unreleased product. No date or distribution info yet.

Price is $640. Again no info on international prizes.

Just one more clarification:

will you sell outside US (Europe in my case) from the initial batch?

Looks like the first bach is sold out. Bummer. Any info on next batch?

There hasn't been a first batch.

Ah, sorry. I was fooled by the add to appearance of the add-to-cart button.

• 3 weeks later...

After reading Superdad’s previous posts about Blue Jeans and unshielded cabling, I changed all ethernet cables from from CAT6A (shielded) to standard CAT6 UTP. Quite a big change to there better. And cheeper too!

[slightly OT]

Now running Roon 1.2 sending audio to RoonBridge on a MacMini. No apparent SQ difference to Roon+HQP sending audio to HQP NAA on the same hardware (no upsampling etc).

But – speed and lag is vaaaastly different thought. With NAA lag and occasional sync loss. With Roon + RoonBridge no lag, no sync loss, no nothing. Stellar. Feels snappier that a CD player (at last…).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Can you use the uR with the Roon running on a Mac ?

Yes, absolutely. Stunning combination.

Hej Magnus :-)

Check out this quite effective little ethernet cable “hack” I did: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f22-networking-networked-audio-and-streaming/simple-cat6-cable-mod-28621/

Yes, that is a cat6a from Kjell & CO :-)

I could never get my heavily tweaked Mac Mini to sound relaxing, warm and inviting. There was always something not quite right. Impressive with some music, fatiguing playing something else.

The transition to the microRendu was harder than I thought. This little device had me question so many things in my setup. It is that much better.

Learnings

- it’s better without the Intona

- optical ethernet is not necessary

- Apple Extreme ”sounds” bad (because of its built SMTP?). Big difference switching to gaming router with external power supply (also no dropouts via wifi)

- MacBookPro with Roon core sound much better with wifi than ethernet

- ethernet cables do matter. Screened are better (CAT6a)

- Ethernet cables: try this simple mod: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f22-networking-networked-audio-and-streaming/simple-cat6-cable-mod-28621/

Currently evaluating

Roon + RAAT on mR vs. Roon + HQP (no upsampling) via NAA on external tweaked mac mini to mR

Conclusion

I currently have Miles Davis, Herbie Hancock, Ron Carter and Tony Williams playing in my room.

Setup: microRendu powered by a JS-2 power supply feeding a Ayre QB-9 DSD. New router: Netgear Nighthawk X6 R8000

I prefer it with the Intona. Different systems, ears, etc.

Mani.

Exactly. No problem with that.

More on Roon and HQP: surprising difference between:

- Roon Core + HPQ on MacBookPro —> mR NAA

- Roon Core on MacBookPro —> Mac mini HQP —> mR NAA

First alternative is not good (too bright), second much better.

Maybe because it's common sense to assume that software developed by two different parties might perform differently?

Complete agree. There are more than one solution to a problem.

The Intona is back in, but now followed by a Regen. Damn it. This is good.

• 2 weeks later...
Ok. I can't seem to figure it out so I will spend some time listening to the uR. I have installed the NAA from HQ player and started the daemon > selected it in the player settings but don't understand the rest. Lol

Are you running two NAA’s? The microRendu should be the only NAA on the network.

No, I only have it installed on a MacMini. I have lost sound now with everything pertaining to the uR. My MacMini plays fine so I have no idea. I just have no sound whatsoever and my Dac is showing up fine

Aha. Don’t run a NAA on the mini – you need the full HPQ version. Select the mR as NAA in HQP. The microRendu acts as the (only) NAA.

• 1 month later...
I'm thinking about going the optical isolation route as well. Could a Y-cable be used from one of the the JS-2 outputs to each of the MC200Ms? Anyone have an idea of how much wattage/current they draw?

9v/0.6A

I would not recommend doing that, since you are defeating some of the isolation. Use the JS-2 on the receiver and another psu on the sender.

• 2 weeks later...