IGNORED

Mendelssohn Symphonies 3 & 4

New release discount at eClassical. Any thoughts or opinions? I am considering downloading but really know nothing about this period instrument recording. I have several recording by the Freiburger Barockorchester which are all good. Cheers!

4972192-origpic-14baca.jpg

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

Anybody try this one yet? Opinions/thoughts?

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

I've tried the samples on eclassical, and am not sure I'm fully convinced. The interpretation is certainly good, but I somehow have a slightly different idea on how these pieces should be performed. I can't really put my finger on it, because there is enough energy and drive.

Maybe it is a slightly "wooden" sound that I noticed before with recent recordings of the Freiburger Barock, who, as their name indicates, obviously have their roots in Baroque music (example in case, the recent recording of Schumann's piano concerto with Melnikov, which I like, but still not adhere 100%). I should probably make up my mind before it disappears from the special offers.

That said, I have yet to find my favorite version. So far I'm still going back regularly to my very first version, by Christoph von Dohnanyi with the Vienna Philharmonic.

Thanks for your comments. You have pretty much summed-up exactly what I have been thinking. I listened to the samples, listened to the Schumann recording and listened to my Abbado/LSO recordings of the Mendelssohn symphonies. I think I prefer my Mendelssohn a bit more "lush" sounding. I decided to pass on this one and save the money for something else. As always, your comments are much appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...
I may check the Scottish out again. I really like the 3rd and don't have a good contemporary version of it. I had high hopes for the recent release by Gardiner, but was terribly disappointed (Am I Deaf or How Could This Go So Wrong – Gardiner & Pires’ Schumann & Mendelssohn | musicophilesblog – From Keith Jarrett to Johannes Brahms).

Thanks for your words of warning about the Italian. That matches my impression of listening to the snippets.

Have you looked into the recordings by Jan Willem de Vriend on Challenge Classics (spiritofturtle.com)? He has recorded all of the symphonies and I believe that Gramophone gave them pretty good write-ups, check the archives now that you know how. ;-)

I have been considering them but have not made a final decision. Let me know what you think. The reviews of the Gardiner recordings did not impress me, quite disappointing actually. Like you, I am looking for a "modern" set of recordings to go along with me more vintage Abbado set.

Forgive me the naive question(s) I am posing here...but when I see specific conductors mentioned (i.e. Klemperer, Abbado, von Dohnanyi), is there a specific "recording year" or version that you all prefer?

For example, I see classicstoday has a shining review of Klemperer's 4th, but that disc is either out of print or not available, and I see a remastered recording of the Mendelssohn 4th / Schumann 4th available on HDTracks, which I presume is a different year/performance. Same for Abbado- I see a release of the 3rd and 4th "alone" from the 1980's, but then a larger collection of the complete symphonies and overtures released in 2001.

It's hard to decide with so many superlative performances out there :) I am wondering if the Klemperer Mendelssohn/Schumann pairing on HDTracks is worth the price premium, or if just going the (gasp) iTunes route for an Abbado/von Dohnanyi is preferable. I see HDTT also has a recording from Munch/BSO available as well.

Anyone have any comments on if the Klemperer HDTracks is worth the premium, or should I just go with an iTunes download of an Abbado/von Dohnanyi? As always, thanks for the civil discussions and helpful recommendations.

Abbado recorded all of the symphonies (plus overtures) with the London Symphony Orchestra in the 1980's & these recordings were released as a four disc set in 1985 on Deutsche Grammophon. The performances received good reviews and the sound quality is descent if not spectacular. These recordings were reissued in 2001, again as four CD's, and can be purchased now at Presto Classical for only $27.00 USD. If you are new to this music, this may be a worthwhile investment to explore it with minimal investment.