IGNORED

What source and amplification would you use to drive KEF LS50 speakers?

Ajax

I use a pair of LS50's with an Auralic Mini and a NAD D3020 and it is plenty loud enough in a 14x25' room. In fact, I would venture to say it rivals the best systems I have heard in this room which included a $10K Audio Research system with Vandersteen 2Sigs. I use a Geek Pulse Infinity DAC with a USB output from the Mini and a pair of Regens with a Curious Cable link. You might be surprised what 30-40 watts will do with the KEFs.

Thats a really interesting system... given the OP's budget restriction, would you advocate using the Mini direct into the NAD?

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks all for everyone's thoughts and alternatives.

Based on what I've read here most seem to feel he LS50s need a bit more power than the average speaker to shine. It appears that I will need to encourage my nephew to increase his budget for the front end.

We need a source that can play local files and also stream so I am considering either a

1. Apple TV + pre/dac + power amp combination

2. Aural Mini + power amp

I recently purchased a 5b year old second hand Parasound Halo A23 power amp (125W) i saw on eBay for only US$200 and wanted to keep it for myself but I think that combine with say a used Benchmark DAC1 or a iFi Micro( alternatively an Auralic Mini) should do the trick.

Any other thoughts?

1. ATV has no place in an audio system, it sounds baad.

2. I'd go with Mini plus DAC pre + Halo A23 and get cheaper speakers than LS50...remember garbage in garbage out.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi All,

As a courtesy I thought I would let you know that we finally decided on the Nuprime ida-8, power DAC as recommended by Alligatorman and Firefox.

NuPrime Audio - IDA-8

It ticked all of our boxes ..... connectivity (USB, optical, coaxial, and bluetooth), simplicity as an integrated unit, ease of use with a decent remote, 100W power, sound quality and price being only $US1K). Unfortunately we have not been able to listen to the combination, however, I have read so many good things about Nuforce on this site (now Nuprime) and their amplification technology so we decided to take a leap of faith. I will let you know how it sounds with the KEFs when it is all set up and they have had some burn in time. This will not be for another couple of months as my nephew's house is still 6 weeks off completion.

Thanks to all who took the trouble to give their 2 cents (bobs) worth. Its been a very enlightening journey and I feel confident that this system at about $2,500k plus cables and MAC source will be a contender for the $3,000 system thread.

FYI I queried the dealer regarding Apple TV issues that were raised on another thread and he advised that's how he uses the unit himself at home and has had no issues.

Fingers crossed and thanks again for everyones help.

Ajax

Actually I think Nuforce is now called Optoma Nuforce and NuPrime is a new company set up by ex Nuforce guys.

• 2 months later...
A few weeks ago I bought a pair of LS50's, as they were on sale at 25% off. They will be used in a future nearfield/desktop situation and also wondered what type of amp would suit this speaker.

From Stereophile's measurements, here are the conclusions from John Atkinson.

"Somewhat optimistically specified at 8 ohms, the LS50's impedance (fig.1, solid trace) drops to 4 ohms at 200Hz and to 5.4 ohms at the top of the audioband. The electrical phase angle is generally mild, but the combination of 5.3 ohms and –41° at 135Hz, a frequency where music often has high energy, will make the speaker work at its best with a good, 4 ohm–rated amplifier."

If an amp can't drive the 4 ohms, no wonder it sounds thin. If the amplifier can't sustain the 4 Ohm load continuously, then if any peaks require more, a serious chance of clipping is not far away.

Haven't heard it but the Schiit Ragnarok is getting rave reviews:

Schiit Audio Ragnarok integrated amplifier | Stereophile.com

With the KEF LS50 speakers: Listening to Red Norvo's beautifully recorded Just Friends, with the Bucky Pizzarelli Trio (LP, Stash DST230), not only put me in a carefree mood, it showed me how much I'd underestimated the virtues of the KEF LS50s ($1499.99/pair). Folks, I know I sound like a skipping LP, but you can't hear a speaker without an amp, and a good speaker will sound unsubtly different with every amp you connect it to. The pairing of Ragnarok and LS50s played Norvo & Co.'s light jazz with cheerful, articulate, supersweet abandon. Norvo's vibraphone emitted pulsing spheres of glowing energy. This wasn't a ringing, or a tubey halo—just the singular, full-bodied sound of vibes setting the air in my room into shivering harmonic motion. This super-vivid recording of the 75-year-old Norvo delivered the juiciest euphonic tones I have experienced since my return to audio—a euphony I would not characterize as coloration. Why? Because, in the case of this recording by Norvo, guitarist Pizzarelli, pianist Russ Kassoff, and bassist Jerry Bruno, everything felt just right. The Norse Apocalypse moved the music along, keeping each note steadfast, fresh, and engagingly clear.Conclusion 1: The Schiit Audio Ragnarok plus KEF LS50s ($1299) is the most enjoyable stereo system I've used in the 21st century.