IGNORED

Wyred 4 Sound's Recovery USB Reclocker Findings For Audio Performance. (Curated Thread)

Yes, I read about a fried Regen too, although I did not know or recall what was the causation. As I indicated the plug size for the Recovery is 2.1mm (not 2.5mm which will fit).

Hi Richard,

Largely because of this thread, I ordered a W4S Recovery USB Reclocker and look forward to trying it with my dual Curious Cable setup.

However, are you sure about the power plug size?

I ask because Wyred 4 Sound's own page for the Reclocker -- this page -- specifically notes:

"The connector is 2.5mm in diameter and (+) is on the inside of the connector."

Just a caveat here...

Dave, who uses a 9V CIAudio linear power supply now with his Regen and will use the same with the Recovery unit

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Music is love, made audible.

David/Cycleman took notice that the information page for the Recovery at the Wyred4Sound website, listed the power plug tip diameter at 2.5mm for insertion into the Recovery.

From EJ (edited to remove personal exchanges):

"Thank you for your email...rather an annoyance with the person in charge of this. I will have to update the site, 2.1mm x 5.5mm is correct as noted before. Sorry for the confusion."

Cool. Always happy to be the catalyst for positive change.

(The W4S page is already corrected.)

Thanks for getting right on this, Richard.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's one configuration where the Recovery USB Reclocker does NOT work.

My setup, up until the DAC:

Aurender N100H > Curious Cables USB cable (0.8m) >
GIZMO
+ CIAudio VDC-9 linear power supply > Curious Cables USB Regen Link > Berkeley Audio Design Alpha USB-SPDIF converter > Shunyata Python Zitron AES/EBU digital cable > Berkeley Audio Design Alpha DAC Series 2 > ETC

Up until now, the GIZMO has been the UpTone Audio Regen, and the music has sounded really great. And I thought that with the current combination of the two Curious cables and the CIAudio linear power supply -- which delivers the same 9 volts as the Recovery USB Reclocker requires (and slightly more amps) -- all I would need to do is install the Wyred 4 Sound device in place of the UpTone Audio device.

So, that done, and no-handshaking between the Aurender N100H and the Berkeley Audio Design Alpha USB-SPDIF converter.

That is, when any music server connects with the Berkeley USB converter, the latter's light goes from amber to green.

And with the Recovery USB Reclocker in place, the light stays amber and no sound is heard.

I'm going to write to W4S now, and see if they have any suggestions.

But for now, does anyone here have any suggestions?

I prefer not to use the switched power supply that comes with the Recovery USB Reclocker, nor should I need to, right?

And the Curious USB cables have been the best I've used, but would that be the problem?

Or, as I believe I might have heard, does the Recovery USB Reclocker simply not work with the Berkeley USB converter?

If that's the case, then I simply need to do a return, since I'm not giving up that fine device.

Feh.

Dave, who says that if the solution is either using different USB cables or using the stock W4S switched power supply that he would prefer to return the RUR instead

Great, I just ordered a 9 volt linear power supply this morning.

I was informed by Tony this morning that I am in the list for the Recovery with the updated board but he did not mention that the new version comes with a different power supply.

This is a real pain in the a$$...I had ordered an aftermarket 9v power supply for my Recovery and it arrived it this past Friday so it is now useless to me. This has become a frustrating and costly venture.

Me too.

My linear power supply is 9 volt.

I don't intend to buy another.

If, as with the problems I reported a few posts above, if the RUR does not work in my system with the better-quality 9 volt that I already own, I would simply return the RUR.

Perhaps this GIZMO was released prematurely.

I mean it seems, as with Daren F.'s post #236 above, that there are too many related devices that the RUR is not compatible with.

Does that make it a niche product?

Just spoke with Tony at W4S, and I'll be one of the people to receive their revised unit of the RUR.

As I said to him, and as I've long felt in other contexts, "It's not the mistakes we make in life, since we all make them, but how we deal with those mistakes that say the most about us."

And designing a solution and sending it out to customers like myself?

Well, that's the way a mensch deals with a mistake or other glitch.

Dave, who is glad to still be able to use his 9 volt linear power supply with the revised RUR

• 4 weeks later...

Blake, sorry to hear that.

I've been using the Rev. B Reclocker with my Berkeley USB converter no problem, sounds good, very good.

And that's been true with both a Mac Mini and an Aurender as the USB sources.

Cables to and from the Reclocker: Curious.

Power to the Reclocker: CIAudio VDC-9 MkII

So, and this is a wild guess, perhaps try changing cables to/from the Reclocker.

And what are you using to power the unit?

And an even wilder guess: try a different cable going from the Berkeley USB converter to your DAC.

LMK if you have further questions, and how things work out.

Dave, who is still having an internal debate between the W4S Reclocker and the UpTone Regen

Is anyone using the W4S Recovery USB Reclocker with a Berkeley Alpha USB converter? I have the Rev. B and I just tried to install it in my home system for the first time and it is not working when using it connected upstream to the Berkeley.

It worked great with my Schiit Bifrost Multibit in my other system.

• 3 weeks later...
And just checking the Uptone Audio website they only sell 4 products...

Very interesting logic. If a company does not make many products, then perhaps that's suspect.

Okay, let's look further.

Berkeley Audio Design makes only three products, and two of them are DACs...so how much can you expect from them.

And Aurender currently makes only four models of its music server/streamers...same dangerous territory as Uptone Audio, it seems.

And with fewer than 200 posts, can we believe anyone who writes on this forum?

I mean, numbers, they say a lot, don't they?

Dave, who will admit that he counts on both Berkeley Audio Design and Aurender for his music joy and pleasure

More Ganging up I see. I guess my posts above weren't satisfying for some.

Cycleman: I have no problem continuing this conversation if you must..I can certainly walk back my comments about "only a 4 product company" and I will.

Now do you really think a valid comparison with both world re-known companies Berkeley and Aurender vs Uptone ?

And your logic says that "based upon the amount of posts that are written" by a fairly new member determines credibility or not. Really?

Bottom line there is a major threat to Uptone Audio by Wyred 4 Sound Recovery which is really what this is all about.

It's obvious.

Oh, Talli, I was just being snarky.

Especially about amount of posts written.

Which may not be humorous to the recipient of such snark.

Of course, I sold my Uptone Audio Regen after getting the W4S Recovery, so I'm not sure what threat you're talking about.

I mean, SuperDad has surely been one of the more helpful and gracious members of this forum, but I know he can protect himself.

Try grace...that's obvious.

And I'm sorry for my lack of grace, as found in my snark.

Dave, who was born in New York City and lived on the island of Manhattan for over 16 years and so remembers that being easy-going is not the first thing that comes naturally to those who live on that crowded small island

• 6 months later...
The Remedy comes with a 9V SMPS which you replaced with the 7V LPS. This is sufficent?

For your answer, check out post #489 just a little bit above, a post from W4S.