IGNORED

Which one to buy: UpTone USB REGEN or Intona USB Isolator?

I received my Intona Industrial version and connected using my original Benchmark USB cable(1 metre) from computer to Intona and Clarixa(XXhighend 1 metre) from Intona to Benchmark DAC2.

Well absolutely no problems, all fired up and music was heard immediately. Certainly has an effect that is very positive the more I listen. More hidden detail is revealed from within the music. Definitely recommend this upgrade.

Robert

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
many thanks i am moving towards the intona. can i guarantee that if i buy a intona standard and use entry level usb cables around the £20 mark each (my budget can't go further than that) my imac will still recognise the modi dac and see through the intona with no issues? also from middy's reply if a usb cable is very expensive surely they would match the usb standard, so why are some of them not working? regards too all

Something you should take up with Daniel at Intona. They have improved the compatibility of the Intona with DAC's and cables. I don't think it will be a problem for you. I started with 2 cheap(About $10US each) entry level USB cables and it worked fine. I now have 2 better cables($300US for both). I did have a problem with the USB windows driver using a separate Silverstone USB card but since reverting back to MOBO no problems whatsoever. Works every time.

My concern now is although Intona improves the sound it does cast a glaze over the sound some what similar to some power filter products in my system.

I'm still using it but I don't see it lasting in my system. Is system dependent and may well improve yours, you won't know till you try it.

Robert

Has anybody tried the Intona Isolator with high res. A/V ?

No but I will. Never thought to try that one. I do download movies onto USB played back into my Cambridge 751.

Interesting the Auckland Audio club had a demo from the Australian distributor of Oppo players and used ripped BR, DVD, CD, SACD material on a USB stick. He claimed it was better sounding than the discs. I did not attend this but thought this was interesting.

I have tried this by using a program called Acrok to rip BR and DVD music tracks but it was unsuccessful. I needed to spend more time fiddling with the rip program settings. I'm always interested in better sound. I managed to rip the sample discs but playback picture was problematic and can't run sound through computer XXhighend which would be better sounding than my Cambridge. It already is way ahead in sound(XXhighend). My Cambridge does not upsample, as the recent models do. My theory would be by using USB material could be better sound than straight off the disc. Anyway if others have played with this would be an interesting path. Putting the Intona in this circuit could well give benefits if it worked.

My recent re ripping my CD's on a new I5 desktop using EAC without Intona has given quite noticeable improvements in sound over old DBpoweramp rips on a laptop. Using the Intona between the USB and music server to load ripped files into it is something I will try. All though I don't want to repeat the process as it takes days.

The better your source music files, the better the sound.

Robert

• 1 month later...
What would be in this case benefit in I put some “re-clocking gadget” between USB and DAC? Thundermac

I have an Intona and would strongly suggest you borrow one or other devices(reclocking) and listen before buying for at least a week or more.

I'm undecided on the Industrial Intona as it does some good things but takes something away from the sound. I have found this in the past for such add ons as power filters. I end up discarding them in the end. Initially they can appear to improve things but after comparison prove not to be a benefit. It should all be done in the DAC design.

Robert

• 2 years later...

Carlmart you most certainly would want to try and get hold of any of them to try in your setup first. Personally the Intona can on the surface make a difference but after listening for a while it takes something away which is hard to explain. I've had similar results with power conditioners and filters. But after 2 years mine resides in the cupboard with other power conditioners and filters that changed the sound but did not improve it with repeated listening. I have retried the Intona but I rejected it easily. It is DAC dependant.