IGNORED

Which one to buy: UpTone USB REGEN or Intona USB Isolator?

Intona feeding the W4S Recovery is working best for me.

I've since moved the Regen to my 2nd setup.

Source:

*Aurender N100 (no internal disk : LAN optically isolated via FMC with *LPS) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch - split for *LPS) > Intona Industrial (injected *LPS / internally shielded with copper tape) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > W4S Recovery (*LPS) > DIY 2cm USB adaptor (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > *Auralic VEGA (EXACT : balanced)

Control:

*Jeff Rowland CAPRI S2 (balanced)

Playback:

2 x Revel B15a subs (balanced) > ATC SCM 50 ASL (balanced - 80Hz HPF from subs)

Misc:

*Via Power Inspired AG1500 AC Regenerator

LPS: 3 x Swagman Lab Audiophile Signature Edition (W4S, Intona & FMC)

Storage: QNAP TS-253Pro 2x 3Tb, 8Gb RAM

Cables: DIY heavy gauge solid silver (balanced)

Mains: dedicated distribution board with 5 x 2 socket ring mains, all mains cables: Mark Grant Black Series DSP 2.5 Dual Screen

The Regen was a good start in the direction of solving USB's noise/clocking issues, it was a good product and it improved my system.

Since then, the combo of Intona and W4S Recovery has taken my system to 'max enjoyment', USB's known problems appear to have been banished.

The Uptone audio regen is a gimmick and snakeoil "audiophool" product. This has been proven over at whatsbestforum where it actually causes increased jitter and 8khz packet noise. Alex said he would do a blind test and now he has backed out from it.

The intona is an actual real product solving real problems. So it gets my recommendation.

Source:

*Aurender N100 (no internal disk : LAN optically isolated via FMC with *LPS) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch - split for *LPS) > Intona Industrial (injected *LPS / internally shielded with copper tape) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > W4S Recovery (*LPS) > DIY 2cm USB adaptor (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > *Auralic VEGA (EXACT : balanced)

Control:

Playback:

Misc:

Mains: dedicated distribution board with 5 x 2 socket ring mains, all mains cables: Mark Grant Black Series DSP 2.5 Dual Screen

99% of dacs now adays are ASYNCHRONOUS, meaning the incoming data clock is irrelevant. .

In theory yes, but to my ears re-clocking via W4S Recovery is a very noticeable improvement after the Intona has done the 'cleaning up'.

The problem with theory is that it rarely translates perfectly to practice.

Source:

Control:

Playback:

Misc:

• 4 weeks later...

Mirrors my sig, save for the server being Aurender not Mac.

All: Without having a chance yet to read this entire thread quite yet...

Would the Intona USB Isolator Industrial be compatible with Mac/curious usb 5v/usb wired 4 sound recovery/curious 200m no 5v/auralic vega processor?

And do we have any success stories with this exact setup?

Thank you.

Source:

Control:

Playback:

Misc:

• 4 months later...

Mirror image of what I did.

:-)

[ATTACH]28731[/ATTACH]

My effort, ....I was lucky as I had a small enough Allen key to remove the PCB.

I ESD strapped and out into an ESD bag for safety...

Did slice myself a few times. ... There is a void sticker on one screw so be warned.

I wonder if ( Is it Daniel? ) @ Intona could test this... Give us all his thoughts... they designed it... Jplay made it look like deaths Ferrari...

Have fun

[emoji2]

Sent from my SM-G900F using Computer Audiophile mobile app

Source:

Control:

Playback:

Misc:

• 1 month later...

If you can afford one, the Intona industrial or JCAT (same device) is 'the one'.

I understand the function of the intona as a galvanic isolator. after a quick search on wiki being new to this. i assumed all of these devices regen, recovery, intona were providing a clean power supply and reclocking the usb signal. i didn't appreciate the different functions. my budget can only stretch to one of these miraculous little boxes right now and i have come to the conclusion that the intona would deliver the greatest bang for buck SQ improvement. it is unlikely i would add another device to it such as regen or wfs. that is overkill for me. am i right to go for the intona here? my system that i've built since the start of the summer purely by the advice of reviews on forums is earmaxpro 2 amp, schitt modi multibit, beyer dt880 600 with some medium level cables and a tacima mains conditioner. with electronic music and contemporary rnb/reggae is good. with instrumentals jazz and vocals is a level of refinement beyond all my expectations.

Source:

Control:

Playback:

Misc:

• 1 month later...

I can hear the effect of different power supplies feeding the Intona (injected via split USB cable).

Also by injecting a separate power source you are reducing draw on the server.

... and if possible connecting only the 2 data wires to the server massively increases isolation.

just my 2p based on experience.

You don't need to add anything before the Intona. The Intona stops the noisy 5 volts coming from the computer USB, and sends a new clean 5 volt supply to the DAC.

Source:

Control:

Playback:

Misc: