IGNORED

Barriers to Computer Audio

Unless you use a Mac Mini or a cheap Laptop, you don't need a DAC with a USB input. Even with a Mac Mini there is a Toslink option.To really optimise USB audio from a Mac Mini or a laptop, you are on a slippery slope to spending heaps more money.

Besides which, with many DACs a mediocre performing generic USB input is added as more of an afterthought.

With a PC you can also use a good internal Sound Card with Coax SPDIF and Toslink out, or perhaps a Musiland Digital Times PCI S/PDIF card as a friend of mine has recently done, if you don't need DSD. Musiland Digital Times Soundcard PCI S Pdif Optical BNC | eBay

Well, this is a real helpful post. You probably not only scared the OP away from computer audio but caused even more confusion. Not only that, the post is just wrong. You can get great sound out of a PC or Mac with a USB DAC. I think there are hundreds of readers here doing just that. I don't want to get into a flamewar with you, but I think that you could be more helpful to someone trying to get started in the hobby.

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond