IGNORED

Esoteric launching new D-07 USB DAC

Hi, I've been reading this site for a while but finally got around to registering an account. I thought this might be of interest here – it certainly got my attention:

http://www.esoteric.jp/products/esoteric/d07/index.html

Seems to only do 96kHz over USB though. Aside from that, the spec sheet has everything I would want – up to 192kHz / 24-bit input, 2x or 4x upsampling, A choice of two filters (one that they say eliminates pre-ringing, could it be an apodizing filter?) DSD PCM conversion, 32-bit digital volume attenuation, word clock input and output, AES/EBU, Coax RCA and Toslink inputs, balanced and single ended outputs, etc.

For an all digital system, this looks like an excellent DAC/preamp solution. The 315000 Yen list price is a very attractive price point too. I'd love to see how it stacks up sonically against the Esoteric SA-50 and Weiss, Berkeley, et al.

Are there any details about this in English? The link is Japanese.

Any idea if the USB is async (probably not).

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

The question about Async or otherwise is relevant as though it may have a USB connection (like so many DACs) often the legacy (SPDIF / AES) connections give better audio because the USB connection is hampered by it's very nature. Async is the up and coming scheme for USB connections which give a better result by lowering jitter, rather than having to eliminate it after.

Non-async USB doesn't mean it will be bad, but async USB would probably give it a head start. And maybe people will be hankering after adding a Lynx card or the new Weiss device (for example).

Eloise.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

• 1 month later...