IGNORED

Mytek new dac Brooklyn.

Larry (or Jussi/Miska) can give you more info...but I'm pretty sure that processor would be fine for DSD256...but not DSD512. I have a 16 core e5 2.6ghz with massive L3 and it will not do DSD512. If I were you I would focus on moving to a machine capable of DSD512...given what I have heard...that is almost certainly what the high end future holds.

Larry recently built a very inexpensive PC for audio specifically to do DSD512...not sure whether he is sharing his recipe publicly or not.

Actually, there is nothing to it. It's an Asus Z170 motherboard, I7-6700k processor, 8 gigs of 2400 mhz DDR4 memory, powered by a 400 watt Seasonic fanless power supply, with an low profile Scythe fan.

The machine boots Windows or Audiolinux over the network from a NAS like machine built from a quad core embedded J1900 CPU Asrock motherboard, 4 gigs of memory and a 4tb WD hard disk.

It's pretty simple hardware, but the software config is a challenge.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

okay, so you were referring to attaching a turntable.

So reports of the phono stage being great-sounding weren't wide of the mark. That's good news!

Mumsoft, what do you mean by audio doping?

My Brooklyn has got his perfect shot of audio doping. Now there is no way back anymore. It sounds like it is playing in another league, and - damn - it shines in every aspect. It's just so unfair! If it were the Olympics, he would be disqualified!

Marc

• 2 weeks later...

I've owned a Bryston BDA-2 Auralic Vega, and the Mytek Brooklyn. The Brooklyn is the best of the bunch and a great value. Its has a very open and cohesive sound stage, deep bass, an incredible feature set, and can be upgraded with a high quality external LPS when you are ready. It also has a very high quality USB input that negates the need for USB enhancement devices. MQA too.

Highly recommended!

I was wondering has anyone with a Brooklyn had a chance to compare any of those MQA files over on 2L against the same music in its DSD file also on 2L. 2L High Resolution Music .:. free TEST BENCH

It sure would be interesting to hear comments on how the Brooklyn performs with a MQA file vs a DSD file of the same song.

I have listened to the 2L downloads, and can't say there was a discernable difference between DSD256 and MQA files of the same track. I also played the DXD masters, which sounded different, but I suspect was mostly due to the difference in gain level. After trying to level match, it got hard to pinpoint any one thing, so I abandoned the comparison effort feeling this was all much to do about nothing.

So I guess in the end one can say that MQA does pretty well compressing the DXD master and reproducing the high resolution information. I could not find any original MQA recordings so that stone was left unturned.

If I owned Tidal, I'd be dancing. I don't, so it is a bit of a yawn.

DSD256 upsampled to DSD512 with HQplayer is spectacular however.

Hi Thank you! I have played with placement and the sound is very balanced. The rear ports have not needed their bungs.

I do have some very good speaker stands for them but on moving here the lounge didn't lend itself to having them on them.

So I am not unhappy with the sound and the room is not influencing acoustics much as in other rooms I have had my system in.

It's more that I cannot resolve audible major differences in sources and file quality for the music. Hence the surprise. I will experiment again however with putting them on stands

Br

Simon

You might also play with the AC side of the system. I find extraordinary SQ sensitivity to power cables and wiring toplogy here.

Aim for a hub and spoke, also called star arrangement with a central AC hub and each component plugged into the central distribution point. Put your best power cable between the wall and distribution point. From there experimenting with different power cables in different components may reveal a configuration that is optimal.

Isolation transformers also improve AC quality is a significant way.

Here in the US, I use 1:1Tripplite transformers for this, with floating ground on the secondary.

• 2 weeks later...

There is no doubt that the SMPS in the Brooklyn is very, very good.

At a time when I had only one good LPS, I found that using this LPS to power my playerPC yielded better sq then using the same to power the Brooklyn. In other words, on balance this config along with the Brooklyn SMPS powering the DAC was the best placement of the high quality LPS.

Once again the old Naim maxim of prioritizing the quality of source components proved true.

Later, a second high quality LPS was obtained, which took the Brooklyn to another level, better dynamics, tighter bass and more clarity.

I could absolutely live with the Brooklyn powered by its internal SMPS. It sounds fantastic. Nevertheless, it seems that in this game that there is no bottom to the SQ improvements that can be gained.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Thank you so much. ^^

Actually i love analog sound. Before i bought brooklyn, Vega and PS direct stream junior are also on my list.

I don't know that i chosen a wrong choice or what? Brooklyn produce very clear sound and very good detail but like you mentioned, it sounds digitaly. I compared it to my old DAC (Nad M51), M51 sounded more musical and more fluid than Brooklyn even though M51 sounded noisier than Brooklyn.

When i play some piano or violin tune, i always miss NAD M51.

But Brooklyn is good for rock and metal music.

By the way, have you ever compared Vega to Ayre QB9 DSD or PS DS Junior? How was it?

I didn't miss my Vega for minute after buying the Brooklyn.

On the Vega, I had constant, random skipping in Exact mode. Secondly, in general, I feel the sound quality of the Brooklyn was much better especially after replacing the internal SMPS with a high quality external LPS. Bass is much richer, and highs better articulated without the midrange warmth of the Vega. Fed with a good power supply the Brooklyn really opens up with a natural presentation and sound stage size that rivals the Vega. The volume control on the Vega left much to be desired, where on the Brooklyn I never felt the signal was damaged from either the analog or digital attenuation modes. Lastly the Brooklyn has user upgradable firmware where the Vega needed a journey to China to accomplish the same.

• 7 months later...
3 hours ago, jtwrace said:

Wow.  That's very high remarks!  Have you ever tried the exasound e32 with the PP?  

I agree with Zorntel.  The Brooklyn with an external power supply beats the Vega hands down.  However, in the end I sold both and went with the $549 IFI Black Label powered by an LPS-1 and running at DSD512 with hHqplayer upsampling.

2 hours ago, anroj said:

I have both the iFi iDSD and Mytek Brooklyn. I got the iFi a couple of weeks ago and have just now settled down to do some serious listening to the iDSD at DSD512 vs. Brooklyn at DSD256. I like what I hear in my system from the iDSD at DSD512, but in my opinion, and in my system, the Brooklyn beats it hands down. I do think the iDSD is very good and is a terrific value at its price point, but for me, and once again, in my system, the iDSD soundstage seems artificially wide at the expense of soundstage depth. Also, the bass is a little looser and not as defined as with the Brooklyn. If I didn't have the Brooklyn in my system, I could live happily with the iDSD playing DSD512 music. The Brooklyn to me is the more natural and refined of the two.

Anroj, how are you connecting and powering the IFI?

1 hour ago, anroj said:

I am using a Wireworld Starlight 3.0 USB cable from my W4S RUR, that is powered by my HDPLEX 300, into the iDSD BL.

Anroj,

Get a LPS-1 and ISO-REGEN combo, when available, to power and clean the signal to your IFI BL.  You'll be amazed at how good the IFI can sound!