IGNORED

Mytek new dac Brooklyn.

Universal driver for MAC is good, as that means it will be compatible with Linux also.

Not sure how you come to this conclusion.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

I HATE to see vendor uses MQA codec! It was a failed format last time for a reason.

There never was a 'last time' for MQA...

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

If drivers are not needed for OSX (a kissing cousin version of Linux, frankly). Not sure why you, someone who keeps up, are questioning this; we've made this cause-effect dozens and dozens of times here.

There are similarities between OS X and Linux but they're not the same thing at all.

No sh$t! And that is not AT ALL what I said/wrote!! I said that when a dac does not need a MAC driver it is almost always means it is UAC2 compliant, meaning it will be Linux-friendly (and that one possibility of this consistency is that OSX is/was a kissing cousin of Linux). Show me where this UAC2 feature is not consistent; it would be a rare outlier. You questioned firedog's logic and I came to his defense, then you misrepresented what I said.

You need to chill here: nobody attacked firedog and he doesn't need you for any 'defence' as shown above by his reply.

What I said is I am not sure how he came to that conclusion.

There are significant differences in how Linux supports DSD playback and how the same support exists in Mac OS X.

Do you actually know a lot of details about that?

• 4 weeks later...
Yes. It is called USB Audio Class 2 (aka UAC2) and we've been chatting about it since 2010. It's important to distinguish UAC2 dacs cuz otherwise they often can't talk to streamers like Aries. And, via simple (but circumstantial and consistent) evidence it's easy to assume that if the dac's Mac USB handshake is driverless, then so is the Linux side. No chilling or stressing involved, btw, just reading and comprehending what was written. I've typed this now a couple times, and you concluded that Mac and Linux are not the same. They aren't, but in UAC2 they act pretty consistently.

Doesn't mean a thing: UAC 2 compliance means exactly nothing when it comes to what type of capability a Mac supports regarding DSD at higher rates than SACD compared to Linux.

Case in point: Linux can now do DSD256 with ALSA and the iFi iDSD Nano without any specific driver installed.

On Mac OS X, you need to install the driver for that kind of support through DoP because of some crippling with CoreAudio related to DSD.

So, your 'shortcut' about whether Linux and Mac are UAC2 compliant doesn't provide anyone with the proper information about real capabilities at all as driverless on both, Linux can do DSD256 but Mac OS X cannot do so through DoP.

Hence your claims that they are the same thing is bullcrap.

• 3 months later...
Yes. It is called USB Audio Class 2 (aka UAC2) and we've been chatting about it since 2010. It's important to distinguish UAC2 dacs cuz otherwise they often can't talk to streamers like Aries. And, via simple (but circumstantial and consistent) evidence it's easy to assume that if the dac's Mac USB handshake is driverless, then so is the Linux side. No chilling or stressing involved, btw, just reading and comprehending what was written. I've typed this now a couple times, and you concluded that Mac and Linux are not the same. They aren't, but in UAC2 they act pretty consistently.

It's far, far more complex than that.