IGNORED

Does ripping at higher rate impact SQ ?

Hello,

Need help, experience as far as ripping quality. I got aware that I've ripped all my Cd with iTunes, Aiff selecting 48 Khz vs 44,1 Khz. By selecting a higher sample rate than the original one, does it impact the SQ output ? Listening my audiofiles, I got aware that bass where slightly "cotton-ous". Could it be related ?

Cheers,

Pierre

MPB/iTunes + Audirvana / Amarra / AVS 3D - Accuphase E 550 / DAC 30 - Apertura Altra Signature

Pierre...

Sorry but you're going to have to begin your ripping again as your really should be ripping at 44.1 (Auto Mode). By converting to 48khz, iTunes is having to convert the file, a conversion (from 44.1 to 48khz) that is not very easy to complete. Conversion to 48khz will very likely have reduced the sound quality.

It's always best to keep the files on your computer in an unchanged (from the CD) format.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Ooops...

Well begin with re-ripping some that you really like and listen to see if you notice the difference. If you do then set in and do them all, if not then just rip to 44.1 now and slowly re-rip the others.

Other option would be to send your CDs to someone commercial but that will cost you of course (about 80 pence a CD in UK).

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Hello Elise,

I made the comparison between 2 rates of ripping : forced higher (48kHz) and original (automode - 44,2 Khz). Listening to the tracks with my Grado Headphones, bass and medium were less accurate on the upsampled file.

Well, well, 750 Cds to rip again...

MPB/iTunes + Audirvana / Amarra / AVS 3D - Accuphase E 550 / DAC 30 - Apertura Altra Signature