IGNORED

iFi Launch - Houston. We have lift-off...iUSB3.0

At AMR/iFi, as you know, we like to do things a little different.

Meet 'Skin' – the iFi mascot for our skunkworks (what else of course wink_face.gif)

LL

'Skin' is pleased to announce a joint competition to run concurrently here and on Head-Fi.

The competition information is also posted here:

https://www.facebook.com/iFiAudio

Question – guess the new product

Close of competition – 15 Sept.

When we shall announce the actual new product that will be launched globally on the same day.

Prizes – the correct guesses will be placed into a hat and Skin will draw out 5 winners from each forum. So there are two sets of prizes for each forum.

1st Prize - The New iFi Product + Gemini Dual-Headed USB cable

2nd Prize - The New iFI Product + Mercury USB cable

3nd to 5th Prize - The New iFI Product

Special Prize! those who also explain correctly WHY our skunkworks mascot is called 'Skin' will go into special hat. This is a little side bonus.

How to guess:

Between now and 15 September, every few days or so, we shall leak clues.

All you have to do is state your answer:

Range: eg nano or micro or Retro

Model: eg iCAN

and also why you guessed this model (you do not have to explain your guess but we thought it would be fun this way for everyone!)

You can guess as many times as you like. But of course, each person may only win one prize (even if you double-entered via the two forums).

Any questions? Just ask away.

Clue no. 1:

It is a reboot of an existing product, so it isn’t THAT difficult to make a guess:

RETRO | iFi Audio

micro | iFi Audio

nano | iFi Audio

Clue no. 2:

As we are in a generous mood, another clue for you is the mystery new product requires this recently launched product, the iPOWER:

LL

Accessory – iPower

Okay, we have given enough clues away for one day.

Have fun and the best of luck everyone! regular_smile%20.gif

And thanks to Chris Connaker for letting us do something nuts for your guys.

Clue no. 3: Active Noise Cancellation+

LL

Post #10.

Clue no. 6: Note the sockets

900x900px-LL-c4f52976_MicroiUSB3-sideshot.png

Post #48.

Clue no. 7: Did somebody ask for helicarrier?

Post #56.

Clue no. 8: iFi doesn't do stock.

LL

Post #71.

Houston. We have lift-off...

micro iUSB3.0: ‘Next Gen’ Tech

The defining Audio + Power regenerator

[video=youtube;sCbfz--dXUE]

Post #82.

Our PowerStation is here: click me!

Check out our Tidal MQA Set-up Guides below. 
Android (Renderer) Mobile
Desktop (Decoder) via USB
Desktop (Decoder) via SPDIF

[h=2]Clue no3: Active Noise Cancellation +[/h] LL

Hint: The plane is the Dassault Rafale jet fighter. It has a very neat piece of hi-tech radar technology: that works akin to noise-cancellation headphones.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dassault_Rafale

The Active Noise Cancellation+ technology that we have developed for the XXXXXXX is a core technology which you will see in quite a few of our new upcoming products. wink_face.gif

LL

Hi,

For anyone who missed this reply over on Head-Fi:

Hi,

ANC is totally unrelated to AIKIDO. We shall not comment on the details of AIKIDO here, but let's discuss ANC.

SPECTRA and Active Noise Cancellation technologies

No, we are not talking the upcoming Bond movie but the nomenclature is opportune!

Stealth technologies used in the military field fall under two main categories; passive and active.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stealth_technology

1. Passive stealth technologies are based upon deflection and adsorption of the incoming radar from the air defence on the ground. Hence less radar signal is being reflected back to the ground radar.
  2. Active stealth technologies are based on active cancellation technology. By sampling and analysing the incoming radar and feeding it back to the hostile radar on the ground defence out of phase, thus cancelling out the returning radar echo.

The French twin-engine, canard delta wing, multi-role fighter aircraft; Dassault Rafale, features an integrated defensive-aid system named SPECTRA, which among others, uses Active stealth technologies.

Further reading: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thales_Spectra

Active Noise Cancellation / Active Noise Cancellation +

iFi’s Active Noise Cancelling (ANC) and ANC+ systems are inspired by the Dassault Rafale fighter aircraft’s active stealth technology.

ANC/ANC+ detects the AC noise in the system and injects an equal, but opposite polarity noise into the system!

The end result is that the AC noise in the system is all but cancelled out by this opposite noise signal. Just like this:

The difference between ANC and ANC+ is the ultimate level of residual noise physically achievable. ANC achieves a noise level that is already beyond most so call audiophile “super regulators.”

ANC+ has the lowest noise output currently feasible. It is at the limit of what the Audio Precision can detect.

To lower it even further, one would have to suspend the ANC+ circuit in liquid nitrogen! blink.gif

Houston. We have lift-off...

micro iUSB3.0: ‘Next Gen’ Tech

The defining Audio + Power regenerator

[video=youtube;sCbfz--dXUE]

The original and the best just made the jump to iUSB3.0

Back in 2012, from the iFi range, the original iUSB established a whole new audio segment: computer audio improvement.

Fast-forward to 2015 and we are pleased to announce the all-new iUSB3.0 with the following world’s first features:

1. Audiophile USB3.0 Ultra-speed (5.0Gbps) active USB hub with 2 sets of ports

2. Ultra-silent 0.0000001V noise-floor and signal REgen®/Rebalance®/REclock®

3. Active Noise Cancellation+® military-grade circuit

Features

• Active Noise Cancellation+® military-grade circuit
  • USB3.0 Ultra-speed (5.0Gbps) active USB hub with 2 sets of ports
  • REclock® eliminates jitter, restores suppresses frame and packet noise
  • REbalance® re-corrects USB signal balance to cancel DC offset noise
  • REgenerate® the USB signal
  • PowerStation+® new, pure powerline with 3-stage sub-sonic noise filter plus further 3-stage 6th Order EMI/RFI noise filter
  • IsoPower® 2 sets of Dual-Output ports (eg: dedicated for DAC+HDD)
  • IsoGround® removes unwanted USB ground noise
  • RapidCharge® USB Bus Charge 1.2 compliant (2.5A total high-power)

We hope you had as much fun entering the competition as we did running it.

Cheers and thanks everyone!

Do the iUSB2 submissions count? Because technically it is the second version of the iUSB!

Hi,

You will be glad to know yes it does count. As technically, it IS the next generation of the original iUSB.

But as originally outlined, no one person can win here and on Head-Fi. Dark google runs still but deep and we have the tech!

The exact nomenclature we would not expect one to exactly get bang on as only a few know we have been working on USB3.0 technology for audiophile systems.

We shall gather up and go through all the answers and announce the winners within the next few days.

Best of luck to everyone who entered :-)

Would you still use an iPurifier at the DAC end when using the iUSB3.0 or is there no point using one when using the iUSB3.0?

Hi,

We would say a lot less if used with correct spec'd USB cable (impedance).

As there is little to 'purifiy/REbalance etc' at the end of the chain.

But as always, we advise try before you buy.

Cheers.

I am using an iFi Gemini cable :)

I take it that the iPurifer will have no negative impact when using it with the iUSB3.0 so if I already have one I might as well use it?

Hi,

Yes, absolutely is fine. The iPurifier is there at the end of the chain like a water filter (as this makes the most common sense). But if the water is already 'mineral' quality, then wont harm but wont make it better.

Cheers.

[h=1]The 5th and 4th Winners are:[/h]

[h=3]4th Prize of a micro iUSB3.0[/h]goes to: Rothers

and

[h=3]5th Prize of a micro iUSB3.0[/h]

goes to Topspin

Congratulations.

Drop us a PM with your full name and address and telephone. We shall arrange delivery from us (if you are in the UK or EU) or through one of our international distributors.

And again, congrats!

+1 But what about the rest?...

A winner or two later today.

Also, there were only 5 pages on C-A. Whereas on H-F, it ended up with 20 pages. So those who entered here with the correct entries have a higher probability of winning.

Good luck all!

The 3rd Winner.

.of an iUSB3.0 is:

Totsipaki

Furthermore, the winners who correctly guessed the reason why our Skunkworks mascot is called 'Skin.'

[TABLE=width: 145]

[TR]

[TD]yaluen

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]and

Allvey

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

You two guys receive a mystery gift.

What next: PM us via here.

1) Name

2) Address

3) Contact tel

We only need this data for delivery.

Any questions, just ask.

Congratulations!

Thanks to all those who guessed because your replies made for great reading as we had some insight into your thought process.

A big thanks

The 2nd Winner is:

guy_brown

Brand new micro iUSB3.0 and Mercury USB cable coming your way.

LLplus LL

Please pm us.

Same as before:

Name, address and contact tel!

Last but not least, congratulations!

Give you 10/10 for persistence!

AMR/IFI, have you heard this new product?

Yes. But leave the users to give the feedback as we are biased!

Also, we haven't sent reviewer units out yet because we prefer to get our products out to customers first.

[h=1]The 1st Prize Winner is:[/h]

christopher3393

Brand new micro iUSB3.0 and Gemini Dual-Headed USB cable coming your way.

LL+ LL

Please pm us.

Same as before:

Name, address and contact tel!

And the length of 0.7m or 1.5m for the Gemini D-H usb cable please.

And a big congratulations!

Thank you all for entering as you may not think it but we have fun thinking up these competitions for you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Rothers.

We didnt hear from you by end of 9th October.

So the prize went back into the hat. The next name out is: AudioElf (nice name bty).

You have won an iUSB3.0:

LL

Please pm us.

Congratulations.

• 3 months later...
I'm not sure if I should start a new thread for this but...

Sat here waiting for my new iUSB3.0 I have been thinking a few things over :)

Bit of background first.*

I am using a Raspberry Pi running RuneAudio for audio playback.*

Although RuneAudio has its own library capabilities I am using it as a DLNA renderer only.

I use a Synology NAS to store my music which is fantastic. It comes with an app called Audio Station for managing / playing music and a mobile app called DS Audio (I'm using an iPhone and iPad).*

With the apps you simply select the playback device on your network and the music is sent (including DSD and everything else) to that device when selecting and playing music from your library.*

I have used many methods of computer audio playback/software/OSs and this is by far, when taking into account the excellent mobile apps and so on, the most effective, simplest and seamless method I have used whilst also still maintaining that audiophile quality :)

Soooo...on to the point of the post...

I am currently powering the Raspberry Pi with a custom linear power supply made by Long Dog Audio / MCRU.*

The Pi is then connected via USB to an iUSB then a Gemini USB cable to an iDAC2

In theory, as the iUSB3.0 has 2 sets of USB ports, I could use output 1 data and power with the Gemini cable to the iDAC2 and the output 2 power only connector to power the Raspberry Pi as opposed to using using the linear power supply as the iUSB3.0 should supply cleaner power than the linear supply - correct?

However, I was wondering whether it would actually make any difference anyway as the iUSB3.0 not only provides clean power to the DAC but now regenerates and reclocks the data signal - so is the power/noise inside the 'computer' as much of a problem with the iUSB3.0 as it was before?*

I mean I already have a linear power supply anyway. So, other than having 'one hub to power them all', the quality difference would be non-existent? Or would it?

Guy

Hi,

We also have the Pi powered by the iUSB3.0.

Please see our connection diagram.

RASPBERRY-PI.jpg

• 7 months later...
Hi all,

Just wanted to share my recent experiences with the ifi iusb 3.0 and the ifi gemini/mercury cables.

I use my PC for playback sending the signal through a SOtM tX-USBexp > ifi Mercury cable > ifi iusb 3.0 > ifi Gemini cable > DAC. I really thought that this was the best sound I could get from my PC. I started thinking about replacing the mercury cable with the blue usb 3.0 that came packaged with the iusb 3.0 and doing some A/B testing to see if I could hear any differences with the signal traveling at USB 3 vs USB 2.

I have the SOtM tX-USBexp and the ifi iusb 3.0 powered by the ifi ipower in case you're wondering. I'm considering replacing the two ipower's with an LPS or a battery down the road.

For the testing, I kept everything else constant, only switching out the mercury cable and blue usb 3 cable back and forth.

I spent all day Sunday going back and forth between the two cables, and here's what I heard:

A) When I replaced the mercury with the blue usb 3.0 cable had more a more musical tone, the music sounded more relaxed and soft/delicate. I could hear about the same level of detail as I did with the mercury, but maybe just a tad more detail and transparency. I heard more background sounds in some recordings, and overall the music sounded more dynamic. I thought I heard a better low end as well with better detail.

B) When I tested the mercury cable for the last time before ending the testing, it seemed like the mercury added some digital harshness and removed some of warmth in the audio. I was really surprised, it added a tiny bit of sibilance and overall, tracks played at the same volume seemed louder with the mercury cable and lost some detail/dynamics at the same time.

I swapped out the mercury for the blue usb 3 cable and now here's my chain;

SOtM tX-USBexp > blue usb 3 cable > ifi iusb 3.0 > ifi Gemini cable > DAC

Maybe there was too much cleanup going on in the signal chain to use the 2 ifi usb cables together, but I thought someone might appreciate my experiences. I was really surprised that the short usb 3.0 cable sounded better than the mercury cable that was sold separately in my system.

I do think that the Mercury cable is a good cable and I will keep it for a separate chain I'm working on, I would just advise that you test one at a time in your system because you might be adding some harshness to your audio with both working at the same time. I guess the moral of the story is that too much cleanup is a bad thing too!

Does anyone have any similar experiences with their ifi products?

Jean, very nice input, cheers!

That's the beauty of audio, not everything fits everywhere...

6 hours ago, applesnowleo said:

Is this regard I have to agree with you, because inserted a ifi iPurifier 2 before my ifi IUSB 3 and some degradation on the sound is noticeable, the iUSB 3 does not need the iPurifier but that in some way proved your findings. Too much cleaning and reclocking it's worst for sure than one simple and efective approach.

There will be more components and circuit boards in the middle, quality of connectors and a lot of variables that could lead to a degradation, so keeping simple and efective my approach.

For me the best cable should be the one that goes from the reclocker to the DAC.

Too much USB cleaning is not recommended and can actually make things worse in some cases. Also it's good to know that iPurifier is essentially a smaller, more affordable and less effective (though great for the money!) iUSB3.0. We advise against stacking these as the latter is complex and multi-level USB treatment. What we'd suggest though is galvanic isolation before this product as these two provide the best USB service we currently have in our offer.

1 minute ago, applesnowleo said:

Hi, this is regarding iPurifier 2, the iPurifier 3 is something I have not tested, and I made the test with a ifi Pro iDSD that already has a fantastic isolation, with my iDSD Black Label this was not present and the iPurifier 2 was a fantastic addition that I recommend a lot.

In the ifi IDSD Pro was sort of a redundancy that in the context did not degrade but changed the sound in a way I did not find I liked, with the iDSD Black Label it was the opposite, so there it depends of the association made.

We resonate with what you just wrote. Our customers reported us recently that micro iDSD BL benefits from iPurifier3.0, iGalvanic3.0 or both of these at once (here on CA and on other forums too) so in case of this machine we can only say: "Try it!". But Pro iDSD stuffed to the roof with the best circuitry we currently have, thus we believe that anything else is excessive. If one would like to try some additional boxes before it still, by all means please do, we won't stop you ?