IGNORED

Regen at the tail end of a USB hard drive into an Aries

Hello Warren,

although quite unbelievable for me in the very beginning, I've also found out that the incoming USB data stream from an USB drive into the Aries (and most probably any other streamer) has impact on the SQ.

First step was a very good USB cable. It is really worthy even there. Second step was an Uptone Regen, which gives me a good amout of everything which is noticable with a Regen sitting in front of the DAC. Not 100% of its usual effect, however.

This is how it looks like with the Aries. Everything fits a bit tight, but it works.

image.jpg

In my system the green Regen (very first batch, remember?) sounds better than the Amber in front of the Aries. Therefore I cannot wholeheartedly recommend buying a Regen Amber for the USB input of the Aries blindly. It would be perfect if you have the chance to give it a try beforehand.

Best wishes,

Henning

i've just ordered Regen for my Aries (connected to PSAudio DS).

It would be most probably the amber version to my understanding.. - how much worse it is with Aries than original green version of Regen? I'm bit nervous as i've found this only now..

Don't panic, there is a misunderstanding! We are talking about a Regen in front of the USB HDD input of the Aries. And yes, in that certain and very uncommon position the Amber Regen in combination with the USB input of the Aries sounds lean and is not recommended. However, with the normal use in front of the DAC and connected to the DAC output of the Aries you are 100% right with the Amber Regen!

You can only buy an Amber Regen, because the Green Regen was just the very first batch of about 100 pieces. Then it was upgraded to the Amber version, which gives significant better SQ in front of the DAC. So the normal use case of the Regen.

Mej se hezky, Henning

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Lateboomer,

maybe the Regen ist connected in the "wrong direction" in your case? Please make sure that the Regen Input is connected to the Bryston DAC. The output of the REGEN (B-type socket) has to face the USB drive.

Hope I could help!

All the best,

Henning

Hi Lateboomer,

please go with this configuration as follows:

USB drive > usb 3 type A cable > Regen green > USB B to A hard converter > Bryston.

Please refer to the foto in my post #2 in this thread. There you can see the correct connection of the Regen to an USB input of a streamer, such as Aries and your Bryston.

That will work!

Henning

P.S.: I've made a mistake in my previous post. The output side of the Regen has a type A USB connector of course.