IGNORED

Optical drive

Welcome back my friend !

And for those who don't know already, Alfe has several patents, and is the guy who designed the LG GGW H20L BluRay writer that I use, so he obviously has a vast depth of knowledge in this area.

Kind regards

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

• 4 weeks later...
Yeah, great thread indeed and great information already gathered upon the CD-drive technology.

For me it is also not understandable at all, why bit-identical rips do sound differently. And hell yes they do, as I personally found out in my system. However as usual, YMMV.

My ripping station consists of a Plextor Premium drive which is powered by a HD-Plex LPS. Both 12V and 5V independently. The drive is connected to my PC via an IDE<>SATA converter which is powered with clean 5V as well. Great that the newest generation of HD-Plex LPS has an adjustable 5-9V output. Therefore it can generate double 5V plus the 12V out of one box. Very neat!

I'm so much looking forward to some further technical investigation on this topic.

Best wishes,

Henning

Henning

Have you also tried ripping the files directly to an internal SSD via a +5V low noise voltage regulator powered from the LPS ?

Kind Regards

Alex

P.S.

See also

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f10-music-servers/batter-linear-power-supply-powered-solid-state-drive-what-cable-adapter-use-25636/ Post 10.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

If that were possible, computers as we know them could not exist. In fact, the universe as we know it couldn't exist under such circumstances.

mansr

As you are a new member here, you may not be aware that respected E.E. and Technical Journalist Martin Colloms from HiFi Critic Magazine ,has previously performed a series of 6 positive separate Blind A/B/A 3 minute tests with comparison .wav files that I supplied to him. If you are genuinely interested , you will find further information at the attached links, as well as learning something from Alfe who is well qualified in the design of BluRay writers and other related areas. If you have come here to tell us all how stupid we all are, I would suggest that you leave this thread to those who are interested and don't try to disrupt it.

Alex

Audio Networking: A potpourri of computer network audio findings, including updates on the Naim UnitiServe, gigabit switches, CAT 5/6 cable and ripping issues. Review By Martin Colloms

Computer Audio deep thinking, not scoffing, required: different sounding rips - General HIFI Discussion - HIFICRITIC FORUM - HIFICRITIC FORUM : hi fi audio systems forum

Initial thread.19th August 2011

Re differences in audio file quality, HIFICRITIC investigates HDDand SSD sound quality - Page 2 - General HIFI Discussion - HIFICRITIC FORUM - HIFICRITIC FORUM : hi fi audio systems forum

See : Martin Colloms Post 30: Friday, 18 November 2011 10:36:42 AM

Kethel ripping results second session - General HIFI Discussion - HIFICRITIC FORUM - HIFICRITIC FORUM : hi fi audio systems forum 19/12/2012

http://www.hificritic.com/forum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=897 Originally

See replies 1 and 10

Re differences in audio file quality, HIFICRITIC investigates HDDand SSD sound quality - Page 4 - General HIFI Discussion - HIFICRITIC FORUM - HIFICRITIC FORUM : hi fi audio systems forum

See : Martin Colloms Post 68 Monday, 30 January 2012 3:13:48 PM

Problem when hocus-pocus works? - Page 5 - General HIFI Discussion - HIFICRITIC FORUM - HIFICRITIC FORUM : hi fi audio systems forum

Most recent. See replies 86 to 91

mansr

It may surprise you to hear that when these comparison .wav files with identical check sums are burned to a quality CD-R , that audible differences still remain when played through a good CD/DVD/BR player , yet when ripped back to a HDD, the checksums are still identical.

Alex

Seen your PS units a few times in the forum, are you planning to sell these or share the schematics or something like that?

Cheers.

Yashn and edbk

If you are using internal SSDs, it doesn't make sense to use an additional Linear PSU , with choke input or not, as it will introduce a degree of mains earth loop problems via the Neutral line, even if you don't use a 3 pin plug.(Transformer Primary to Secondary winding capacitance)

Great results can be obtained simply by further regulating the existing +12V supply (whether SMPS or Linear) using a low noise voltage regulator for a further improved +5V supply over the existing internal +5V supply . Use of a Super Regulator will give a further small improvement.

Regards

Alex

By re-representing the statements above, you have disrupted the discussion of ripping, once again, to travel down the rabbit 'ole. Had to come sooner or later i guess. Oh well another thread not to read, pity, it started out very good until post 55. Would have been better as a PM, sandyk.

So you expected this quote from reply 37 to Kumakuma to go unchallenged ?

If that were possible, computers as we know them could not exist. In fact, the universe as we know it couldn't exist under such circumstances.

And , YES, I did take the discussion to PM with that poster to try and get the thread away from yet another meltdown.