IGNORED

Windows 10 optimization script - A community effort?

edbk

In my efforts to tame Windows 10 for audio, I uncovered many OS processes constantly writing log files, from the kernel up through and including dozens of service processes. Wrestling the OS to prevent this was possible, but took manual effort on every boot. My expectations are that Phil will eliminate the need for these manual steps in the Win10 version of AO.

In the interim, my OS of choice is Archlinux with real-time extensions through the excellent Audiolinux distribution crafted by Piero Olmeda.

It should be said that this is not a solution for those that are uncomfortable with the Linux command line. Yesterday, I finally learned how to configure and tune the built-in real-time capabilities. Wow, it sure sounds good, with a depth and delicacy that is beyond anything I have heard from my system in the past.

I am alternately running Minimserver/Minimstreamer/Libsoxr /Openhome and HQplayer on this machine, with FMCs to a SMS-100 running MPD/DLNA OR NAA.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

• 1 month later...

Over here both AO 10beta 7 Windows stripping and edbk scripts have been run. From there the logging is turned off to the furthest extent possible. Autoruns is then used to remove unnecessary drivers. On each boot the remaining unneeded processes and service are killed manually. Windows 10 ends up consuming 700 mbs of memory, with 26 processes running with Jplay and Minimserver/Minimstreamer resampling with Libsoxr. SQ is very clean, high and deep.

• 9 months later...

Funny, I do all three, that is: run the script contained here; run AO and it's associated scripts, and then run my own scripts and manual tweaks. Once done there are 24 processes with HQplayer and Roon server running. It takes 60 seconds post boot to fiddle and then play.

I also use AO's facility to launch HQplayer as shell, which eliminates overhead from Windows explorer at boot.

It does sound awfully good.

What you don't use fidelizer also (wink)?

How much intense comparison testing have you done by doing just this script in this thread compared to this script and AO? also is it possible you are biased since you presumable bought AO?

The goal is to reduce the Windows footprint, both on disk and in memory, and to minimize the number of active threads and processes needed to play music. The combination of the scripts defined in this guide, and AO are complementary in this sense and my SQ testing supports this claim.

Could I be biased? Absolutely! But in my one man universe I am very pleased with the sound quality achieved with these techniques.

I have not tried fideliezer(SP?) as it is not clear what it does and there appears to be no trial of the professional versions.

• 1 month later...
Would you be willing to share how you disabled the writing to log files?

OK Here you go! These are the registry entries I referred to. One can use REGEDIT to make these changes.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

\SYSTEM

\CurrentControlSet

\Control

\WMI

\Autologger

Setting "start" to 0 in each entry disables the log. There are many loggers. Once all are set to 0, reboot.

Thanks, Larry. I assume those logs are required only for troubleshooting so there's no downside to disabling logging other than loss of diagnostic information?

Windows 10 is a moving target. Getting it to shut up and just do what you want is like playing whack-a-mole.

I'm considering removing all the modern UI apps except for the Windows Store itself. It seems this would eliminate a bunch of unnecessary activity. I know there are scripts to do this with PowerShell, but has anyone tried just using the CCleaner uninstall tool?

Nvidia has introduced telemetry in its recent drivers. I even found ongoing network activity due to a Canon device driver for a scanner.

It's like a full time job. Maybe I should give that job to AudioPhil?

Rick,

LOL! Yes, well said, a full-time job indeed. Linux should be the answer but the native DSD implementation is so bad that it's unusable. I feel we are between a rock and a hard place!

Hi shadowlight, Thanks for creating this script. Reading it, I see some new things and some familiar things. I look forward to applying the new things and hearing the results in my system.

One quick question. I play music served from my Linux NAS via SMB/NMB. Will that continue to work if the following scriptlet is run?

# Disable NetBIOS over TCP/IP, WINS and Support for LMHost file#

$adapter.SetTcpipNetbios(2)

$nic = [wmiclass]'Win32_NetworkAdapterConfiguration'

$nic.enablewins($false,$false)

Larry,

I am not sure, since I do not have a Linux NAS (SAMBA) but I am able to map drives on a Windows Server with out any issues and all off my systems have WINS and LMHost disabled. The change is easy to revert back manually if it does not work. Just go to network adapter settings - Internet Protocol Version 4 - Properties -- Advanced -- WINS and select "Enable LMHosts Lookup" and "Default".

I believe you are using a Archlinux based NAS? Is it just a simple SAMBA based setup? If yes, I will see if I can build out a VM system and test.

Hi shadowlight,

No worries, all is working well. Here are the results with Roonserver and HQplayer running, (after some manual finessing!). Thanks to everyone for their contributions!

Capture.JPG

Nice. I still need to figure out why I still have 37 processes running on Win10 compared to everyone reporting around 24. What manually finessing did you have to do? If possible I would like to correct that in the script.

For my last Win10 install, I ran edbk's script and parts of your script found above. Once done, I follow with execution of AO ultimate, the included Win10 stripping script and ST shell replacement to Roonserver. After boot, I get this:

Capture.JPG

From there, using task manager, I manually stop process and services to reach the following running state.

Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG

Lastly I set HQPlayer to run in realtime priority. Kinda a PITA at each boot, but worth the 30 seconds it takes to execute.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Phil, all we have for comparison is this one, above. Larry (lmitche) has used it in combination with glowing praise but I don't find where his real results are any better than mine, obviously not in a sound comparison.

I don't hold any grudge, your an outstanding contributor and industrial audiophile participant here. I just can't buy something that doesn't have any real concrete comparisons/reviews against a self optimized Windows 10. Obviously you don't know how good my sound is, as I don't know whether AO would bring anything further to the table.

I will say that my system sounds fantastic and really the only upgrade I can see needed is an isolation transformer, which I'm even questioning the need.

Other folks not wanting to tinker with Windows themselves should go right ahead and get AO.

ElviaCaprice, I don't think Phil is claiming that AO is doing something that can't be done by someone else without AO. Anything that Phil can do can be duplicated by others. Your statements also imply that you believe that tweaking Windows will improvement sound quality. My experience supports this claim.

But, I am not claiming that after applying AO and applying my own "proprietary" tweaks that my sound quality is better then that achieved by your efforts in your home. I will never make such a claim until I have heard your system. Even then, it would be extremely difficult to separate the benefit of your windows tweaks from other hardware and software choices made in assembling your system.

Having said these things there are still huge benefits to be gained for audiophiles that purchase AO.

First off, a vast majority of people don't know Windows OS internals and are not capable and confident in tweaking an operating system. These people will greatly benefit from AO and have few if any other alternatives.

For those that do know Windows internals, one has a choice, DIY or start with AO and tweak from there. I make the second choice as I don't think I can create another container that can compete with the thousands of tweaks Phil has collected within AO. One, I am unlikely to duplicate everything Phil has learned. Two, building this kinda thing takes a lot of time and my time is precious, therefore paying Phil to do this seems like a deal to me.

From there I add my own special sauce, most of which is shared here.

The results are stunningly good.

Larry

The "trick" is that I started from an already stripped down version of Windows 10 (you can find it on Google as lite sasnet) and then manually I disabled the unwanted services.

If you want, tomorrow (it's late night here) I can send you the list of the services that I left enabled. But if you start from that lite base... It should be easy to have only 25/30 processes running.

That's cool. How does the license key work with the Windows 10 versions?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
6 hours ago, rickca said:

I installed Windows 10 Creator's Update today.

First thing you will notice is an increase of about 45 svchost windows processes, since most services that used to share an svchost have been broken out into their own svchost process.  This is on a vanilla system not running AO.

There are also some new background processes like InstallAgent and InstallAgentUserBroker, Windows Defender Notification Icon and Windows Defender Security Center Service.

getBlackBird v1.0 (currently scheduled for end of April) should include Creator's Update support.  Betas will be available in the interim.

Rick, Thanks for the update!