IGNORED

Networked home system advice

I have been using Sonos wireless from my iMac through a Benchmark DAC1 into a Rotel pre amp/processor with great success other than occasional interruptions from the wireless aspect. I also run my Rotel CD changer through the DAC with amazing results. I am now doing a remodel and will be wiring the connection from my network accessible storage drive. My question is, what is the best component to wire into? Do I still need to go into a DAC? Is there a pre amp/processor that has the DAC in it so that I can get rid of that extra component? Can I just use iTunes and take Sonos out of the equation (note that I was using Airport Express into the DAC successfully before adding Sonos (with the same periodic wireless issues). Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

JLO

Hi JLO - With a wired network, you've got lots of choices. Many A/V receivers have been released in the last few months that tout DLNA compliance including the ability to stream audio content. The user interface for these boxes could be through your display screen or any web-enabled device (e.g. an iPhone). You could also consider the Logitech Squeezebox line of networked audio players. These devices offer analog outs as well as S/PDIF that would allow you to use your very good Benchmark DAC.