IGNORED

Auralic Aries Mini

The Mini's own Lightning DS app is available on Android and many third party UPnP/DLNA controller apps, including some OpenHome ones are available on Android, eg, the excellent BubbleUPnP app, so not sure where you got your info from.

Ah - mis-information and dis-information - Thank you.

Hey Guys

They are a small company doing the best they can. I know it is not ideal for the 'I want everything now' society that we live in but they are getting there.

To illustrate the point - firmware update 2.10 (next week I believe) will put the HDD to sleep when not being used and a later update will let you hide input icons that you do not use and other features. Yes, small things but getting there. Whole platforms takes a huge amount of time. They have decided to focus on Apple OS to get the money coming in and then, maybe, they will have the manpower to do everything we ask of them.

iPads are so cheap. You pays your money and makes your choice.....

Has anyone tried Bubble UPNP for Android control ?

On the main feature list it states that it has JRiver Media server compatability, that will be my first port of call when it arrives.

All this ' you need an i pad to control it talk' will alienate some of their market..

Mine should be here Monday/Tuesday so I'll keep you posted.

Yes best digital front end so far, >N-Cores > Quad ESL.

Soundstage is now 'wider' than my room.

Using output into a std Mdac, next to try a full blown John Westlake Mdac into modded Yamaha NS 1000M.

Strange how the settings and now now my library has appeared on my Android Ver 4.4.2 tablet via Lightning DS.

Someone is obviously working on it, will be interesting to see if it can be connected to my mates network via Android.

For me it is (only exception Aries Mini 2). My set up is small (RP6/Rega Apollo R/Aries Mini + LPS/CB Nait 2/Guru Juniors)and I stopped chasing hi-if nirvana some time ago.

Contented and smiling.

Oh no it is'nt. what you need now is a 4 box Paradise phono stage for your TT..........

., just that I am acutely sensitive to mid range tone color correctness..

Hence the Maggies, never actually heard a pair though they are on a list somewhere.....

Quad 989 ESL here, Midrange, it's where all the action is, well the soul but without the kick to the stomach.

Would LPS still be a worthwhile upgrade if I don't plan to use the internal DAC? Just want to use it as a streamer to feed signal into my DAC... also, any recommendations for android 3rd party solution for control? Not of the Apple camp here...

Cant comment on the lps yet.

Bubble DS Next -on Android works as control point for the Mini as it is 'open home' enabled.

I tried using mine in UPNP but with no success , so reverted back to Open Home.

I also had issues with updating my Library which is stored on an external USB Dac.

Think I may have to buy an Ipad to use as remote control - Booooooo

Sound quality into a Modded Mdac is great though, best yet Huraaaaah.

The Oppo streamer section is nice but it doesn't come any where near the level of performance of the Aries mini. On a 1-10 scale where a 1 is your off the shelf cheap Sony streamin blue ray player and a 10 best in market I'd give the Oppo a 4 rating and the Aries mini an 8 rating for fidelity feeding an external DAC.

So what gives a rating of 10 ????????????????

Quote from Audiostream review above.

" I will say that early adopters were in for a bumpy ride that have been smoothed over with the latest releases. If this review had been based on these earlier versions I would have said the Aries was not ready for prime time but the team at Auralic have proven to be very efficient at addressing known problems "

Read more at Auralic ARIES | AudioStream

Worth noting I thought.

The right and centre button combo erases all user settings from the Mini.

The left and centre button combo is to set up the Mini to join your wifi network for the first time or if you are having problems with your network. If this goes through the original cycle when first setting up the Mini then this will also give you the option of what output to use. This would avoid erasing your settings (doesn't take long to redo this anyway). Good call..

An online user manual would be useful !

Music playback continues to freeze using UPnP, so the Lightning Server appears no to be the issue. I loaded 5 songs on a USB stick and tired playing from it to remove any network (wired/wireless) interaction for playback and the unit will still freeze.

I'm done with it. Its going back.

Mine works fine with Bubble UPNP, with lightning server on my external USB drive, though in settings I have it set to Open Home, not UPNP..

How was the sound quality while you had it working ?

• 2 weeks later...

I can't understand why people don't try to operate the Mini with a simple USB thumb drive first.

Walk before you can run ?

People seem to want to stream 2500000 tracks from a NAS 2 streets away via 3 networks. Then Blame their new toy for being crap and sending it back.

I have mine running using Android, though I required an Ipad to set up initially. Yes I have had teething troubles and some hoops to jump through, but what do you expect from a small company and at this price ?

If someone like Cisco built a similar device it would work perfectly with any system...But what price ???

I have seen their testing facility, several dozen aircraft hangers full to the rafters with

every piece of digital hardware that has ever been built.

Sound quality is excellent with LPS through Quad ESL's.