IGNORED

Auralic Aries Mini

• 2 weeks later...

My problems with the Mini:

My music files are on my Synology NAS, JRiver runs on my MacBook Pro as SLNA server, Jremote runs on my iPad as DLNA control point. JRiver's library contains the files on my NAS. The Mini is connected either through its own WiFi function or wired to a WiFi-Bridge. My router, which provides the WLAN, is an AVM Fritzbox 7490.

In the "pure Aries" scenario, I run MinimServer and BubbleUPnP Server on my NAS. BubbleUPnP Server uses the MinimServer library as Media Server und the Mini as OpenHome renderer. Connection of the Mini is as above.

First problem: In both the JRiver scenario and the Aries scenario, random, sudden stops occur. Streaming to my OPPO BDP-105 as DLNA renderer never had this problem. In the JRiver forum, it was suggested that the player might have a problem with Event Subscriptions and with SetNextAVTransportURI.

Second problem: Using the Mini as Lightning Device in LDS, it constantly changes between "MyAries" and "No Device" at the top of the left column in LDS, as if the connection of the Mini is lost, then found, then lost again, then found again, and so on. This even makes accessing the Settings very difficult.

I also noticed the following:

When wired to the WiFi bridge, the yellow LED at the Ethernet port of the Mini is constantly flashing, indicating network access, although the Mini is idle and not in use. Sometimes the top LED turns solid amber, indicating a reboot. I even had the top LED flashing in two colours (white-amber-white-amber-white-amber...), which is not mentioned on Auralic's support site.

Could it be that my Mini is defect and needs to be exchanged??

• 2 weeks later...
RolandGo - can you tell me how the mini compares to the Oppo 105? The 105d at least has Tidal direct, so I'm wondering: Mini feeding the 105/105d via Tidal, and then using the mini as a dac instead of the 105/105d. Does it blow it away, or is it similar in quality? From other reviews I expect it to be hopefully a large step up, but am very curious.

I haven't done any A/B testing yet. 105 has Tidal as well, not only the 105D; it's in the new firmware.

But the Mini sounds at least as good as the 105; that's with the stock wall wart. I'm waiting for the SBooster PSU, at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...

After I have sorted out the network problems that initially troubled my new Aries Mini, there still remain problems when using it as a UPnP renderer with JRiver.

Controlled via JRemote on an iPad and streaming the music from a NAS to the Mini via WiFi, it is impossible to play a whole album. The playback randomly stops. My assumption is that the communication between the Mini and JRiver is "broken", perhaps because the UPnP protocol in the Mini has glitches.

Using my OPPO BDP-105EU as a DLNA renderer, JRiver playback is flawless. Well, apart from the lack of gapless play with the OPPO, but it just doesn't do gapless. I know that. Using Auralic's own app, the Lightning DS, the Mini's playback is flawless. So, the problem seems to be with the Mini's implementation of UPnP and its communication with JRiver. This could probably be fixed with a firmware update.

Does anybody have similar experiences?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...