IGNORED

Vibration isolating rollerballs

I'm going to grab three sets so I can have these under a few more items. E-mail sent.

John

Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.

Synology DS213+ NAS -> Auralic Vega w/Linear Power Supply -> Auralic Vega DAC (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> XLR -> Auralic Taurus Pre -> XLR -> Pass Labs XA-30.5 power amplifier (on 4" maple and 4 Stillpoints) -> Hawthorne Audio Reference K2 Speakers in MTM configuration (Symposium Jr HD rollerball isolation) and Hawthorne Audio Bass Augmentation Baffles (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> Bi-amped w/ two Rythmic OB plate amps) -> Extensive Room Treatments (x2 SRL Acoustics Prime 37 diffusion plus key absorption and extensive bass trapping) and Pi Audio Uberbuss' for the front end and amplification

For comparison to AnotherSpin's post above, here is what Barry posted in slide #30 of the other thread:

Iteration #1 uses a .96" diameter bowl that is a section of a 2" sphere. Bowl 1/8" deep at the center.

Balls are 1/2" chrome steel.

Synology DS213+ NAS -> Auralic Vega w/Linear Power Supply -> Auralic Vega DAC (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> XLR -> Auralic Taurus Pre -> XLR -> Pass Labs XA-30.5 power amplifier (on 4" maple and 4 Stillpoints) -> Hawthorne Audio Reference K2 Speakers in MTM configuration (Symposium Jr HD rollerball isolation) and Hawthorne Audio Bass Augmentation Baffles (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> Bi-amped w/ two Rythmic OB plate amps) -> Extensive Room Treatments (x2 SRL Acoustics Prime 37 diffusion plus key absorption and extensive bass trapping) and Pi Audio Uberbuss' for the front end and amplification

There is the question of "grade" with the balls, not just material. G25, G10, G3, etc. The more expensive balls have much lower tolerances (i.e. they are more true to perfect round).

The Grade 3 Superball

My thought is that folks will "tweak" with the balls anyway, so perhaps we should start a separate purchase of several types and let folk get bulk discounts if they go in together. Tungsten is also a popular material.

Additionally, there are a lot of fraudulent balls on the internet...just labeled as the higher grade/material. If the price seems better than it should be, it probably is. Just saying...

One thing: they all look similar so keeping them properly labeled is key!

Thanks for your work on this, jabbr...

John

I would like to thank Barry for putting up with so much *noise* and still working hard to help folks out. The fact that he did a lot of work to make a practical solution that most folks can implement carries a lot more weight with me than someone who has a lot of untried theories that all seem largely impractical for most folks if they ever went from dreaming to reality.

And there is a funny thing about life: everything you know, someone taught you. The only reason we are having this discussion is because Barry taught us it was the right path to follow. I suppose those that disrespect their teachers are the ones who have the greatest problem with people not respecting them...that is ironic at best.

Sorry for all this, Barry, and thank you for all your help on my audio journey.

John

Very nice thoughts, all. I've been using both Symposium and glass dishes (double sided so they are stable). I would say that the glass lenses are not as good but a huge step forward by themselves and very inexpensive. I like the Symposium products because the Jr HD's have a 1/4 20 thread that I happen to have on my speaker bases and they are big heavy speakers. Do this, folks, whether you go cheap and easy or expensive and nice. The results are tremendous.

John

The bowls cups need to be in qty to be cost effective (obviously) and I had some crazy $ quotes and lead times from various shops, but through my connections was able to get them well under $20/ea (7075, polished). As far as making them, it took a 1 hour machine set up time, but the cut time is very quick.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19686[/ATTACH]

Wow, those bowls look great! If your source wants to charge $60 to $75 for a set of three based on the work already done, I bet he can sell 20+ sets in about a day. I'd definitely be one to buy multiple sets...

Would you be willing to ask?

John