IGNORED

Equipment isolation and vibration damping.

When you will find easy cheap good looking practical solution alternative to tubes, do not forget to share;)

Take a look at these. At a low inflation pressure they may move around, but they are built for the task. At least you can try to "tune" them with pressure. I've used these on test equipment before.

McMaster-Carr

There are other compression spring and vibration isolation products there, also. And remember, laser tables are isolated using pneumatic springs. (and a whole lot of mass)

I've been emailing Mike at Ingress Engineered Products and discussed modifying his current design to have a 1" wide, shallow bowl. Assuming we can get enough people together for a group buy, he could do either $75 for a set of 6 in 6061 or $150 for a set of 6 in 7075 at 10 sets or $130/set at 20 sets. Interest? I'm interested in the 7075 and would go for 6 sets, I have a friend that would go for a bunch also.

Barry, if you have something better, let us know now!

AnotherSpin?

Please fill me in on why you think 7075 will be better for your requirements? Do they know if either of them have been T5 or T6 heat treated? Check the specific stiffness and mechanical Q (inverse of damping factor) values for those materials. That may help you select.

Simply because Barry Diament says 7075 sounds better than 6061 -- that's good enough for me

That's not bad reasoning, his recordings show he has good ears. ?

The thought is to identify the property that results in the better sound and then find a material that does that better. Aluminum has a pretty high specific stiffness and low damping. I think you want just the opposite. Also, Al in general yields at very low pressure. A ball resting on a nearly flat surface will exert some pretty heavy pressure on that surface.

I liked YashN's idea of fluid damping. There are greases heavy enough that you could float an audio component on a plate with it. Remember that bearings work because of the hydrodynamic forces that keep the rollers floating on a film of lube, because they are moving. There is little to no vibration transmission in a hi-end properly designed bearing because of this.

• 1 year later...
Flare audios uses a solid billet milled down... Have a look at their design principles....

Wood whatever form it's in is basically a load off small tubes and round cells..fibres of cellulose and resin.

My simple view it's the 'valves in a tube amp material' a varied and coloured and as unique as a finger print from tree to tree.......

You would think a fixed QC controlled resin ..plastic ..even a composite.. would be more stable..... in a resonance perspective..... Or solid like Flares....

Just my random thought of the day..

[emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G900F using Computer Audiophile mobile app

Wilson uses only proprietary composites and adhesives in their cabinets. Generally regarded as some of the least colored speakers available.