IGNORED

Optical Network Configurations

Sorry for the delay, great weather, and a certain/mild bit of frustration. So I had to step away for a bit lol

I really don't know what to make of all this. Esp. when the copper DSD512 worked, and yet still had wierd/long delays. Makes no sense, to me.

Ted asked at the beginning to describe setup. But I don't have any way to draw one.

It's simple though, the router (upstairs) WAN is connected to the WAN input on the switch - copper run. Then another copper run from switch back to router.

I have been using successfully both SFP RJ45, and a SFP Fiber, to the NAS. So this is the second of the two fiber runs I have. The other was to the uR.

Everything's a bit of a mess right now. Nothing's really connected.

I hope this helps,

Chris

OK, you don't want two connections between router and switch. What do you mean "WAN input" on switch? Router WAN should be connected to your modem. Router LAN to switch. Does your PC have Wifi? if so turn off, at least for now. Plug everything else into switch.

Lets use this (or similar) convention for describing networks:

[router]WAN: -> [modem] (rj45)

[router]LAN -> [switch] (rj45)

[PC]wifi = off

[PC] -> [switch](SFP-rj45)

[NAS] -> (rj45)[FMC-1] -> [switch](SFP-MM)

[uR] -> (rj45)[FMC-2] -> [switch](SFP-MM)

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

Having 2 connections was the only way I could sign in/establish an active address. It was a real pain.

And, - Router WAN should be connected to your modem. Router LAN to switch. Does your PC have Wifi?-

No Wifi. And that's how I have the one connection exactly.

But I follow what you want me to try. So let me give it a whirl. About to eat, so give me a bit.

Thanks Jabbr!

Let's stat slow then. First connect switch to router, then PC to switch, and confirm you can browse the internet.

Ok, all connected and visible in File Explorer. I got this far before, and the skipping began using the fiber setup.

Edit: Opened HQP, ASIO see's iFi, NAA see's iFi. Settings perfect. Using NAA, I tried upsampling DSD128 to 512 with bad skipping. Same as before.

Can you ping and tracert the uR and report results, then change to copper cable to uR and report results of ping and tracert

Fiber: 26ms ping and tracert 1ms, 5ms, and <1ms.

Copper: 257ms ping and tracert 151ms, 2ms, 49ms

That looks like fiber is working with reasonable numbers so I don't know what the problem is.

I don't know anything about uR to help with that. I would consider running iPerf to check the bandwidth of the connection.

Consider rebooting the uR and the iMicro iDSD if you haven't done that.

Jabbr, any more suggestions from here?

I would test the bandwidth of the network connection to determine if this has anything to do with the network hardware per se (not convinced it does). Assuming the network hardware is working, could this be an issue with the microRendu? Could it be a config issue? e.g. jumbo-frames?

Wireshark may be helpful in looking at Ethernet in detail.

If possible you could replace the microRendu with a laptop that runs NAA/networkaudiod and see if the dropouts persist.

Jabbr, do you want me to hold off working with Wireshark and get my XP trying NAA and iPerf going? You didn't mention what filter you wanted me to try.

I'm going to spend a lot of time tom. to try to work on this; I really miss DSD512!

I think wireshark is just going to be way too complex and frustrating for you to deal with.

You need to download and install iPerf on both your PC and Laptop. I can't help with that because I haven't run it on Windows -- Google is your friend.

NAA : maybe needs Win7 ... I understand this is getting complex but I don't know an easier way to test your system -- can you upgrade to win7 or consider booting Ubuntu Live CD , downloading NAA and running?

Well, am I shit out of luck at this point? When the suggestions stop, not a good sign lol

I have resolved MRD conflict and have installed Audiophile Opt for W10, but haven't done anything with it yet.

I think you should run iperf from the command line -- Google and follow instruction -- one PC is the client and the other the server

Yep. I went through a similar process trying to get my diskless iSCSI NAA to work and didn't release this because the "black magic" would be too difficult -- finally lmitche described a better technique. It really depends on how much it is worth it to get it working. Maybe the uR folks can help -- especially if copper doesn't work great either. I would say that if you stick with it, you will learn something and getting it working, finally, will be rewarding.

Ok, I'm trying to find out how to do this.

Well...https://fasterdata.es.net/performance-testing/network-troubleshooting-tools/iperf-and-iperf3/

Tried iperf/iperf3 -s for example and none of these commands worked: "not recognized as an internal or ext. command"

You may need to fool with the exact command -- probably worth getting this working at this point and you are likely close-- you need to get into the right subdir where the command will work

I would use google to see how to install the cgywin1.dll and be sure to type the commands exactly right -- even off a single character will not work.

I am sure that there are other programs which will test network bandwidth. Probably any could be used.

I use Ubuntu -- but I'm pretty sure you aren't installing correctly -- not at all sure that is the correct path string. Start by finding where the cygwin1.dll file is on your install and use the path to that.

lol, I'm sure you're right. But I've tried moving it everywhere, and I've had utter failure. Well, I feel the more I dick with things, the more Windows is going to start getting bogged down.

What directory path is the DLL in?

I simply don't understand 'directory path' fully tbh. The dll and program are in the Download folder now.

Well, given the NAS's speed. I decided to change FMC to Auto, and the rate went down to 5mbs. Back to Forced and I'm at a whopping 12mbs

Ok, I put the NAS on a RJ45 copper input on switch. Same 12mbs

You could try installing Cygwin -- Google is your friend, do some reading and learn about directory paths.

It is better to learn about how and why you are doing these things.

I thought we had too, at the very beginning. I'd most def. say yes going from memory. I believe it produces a more quiet background.

See my edit about the RJ45 shortage...should I buy another RJ SFP or just replace the TPLink and use optical? I want to get this moved downstairs.

Your call but I'd be tempted to get a new MC220L-- or get both and see if it makes any difference.

Thanks Larry! And I totally agree Jabbr. The switch works, so it's gotta be those darn converters. I'll start working on those returns. Strange though it's happening to both MC220Ls.

Now you got me, happens to both MC220Ls? When using the same port on the switch ... if so bad port on the switch ...

Ok, read edit ... at this point I have no idea which equipment is working. why did you return the cisco switch? given the amount of time this is taking, I would:

1) go back to cisco switch -- you have someone to return to if defective and probably better QA.

2) replace MC220L

3) be sure to have some spare SFPs.

There is something defective, and you could either try to run diagnostics, but that might be too difficult for you, perhaps better to simply replace equipment until working.

That cisco was impossible for me to setup, plus, it didn't do PoE at the time.

IIRC, the cisco didn't work because the router WAN/LAN ports were reversed.

I'll start playing around w. diff parts and diff ports. Since the RJ45s work, but not the optical on both,I'm wondering could the SFP-fiber I bought be the wrong ones?:

FTLF8524P2BNV N1 Finisar 4 25GB s 1000Base SX SWL 850nm Reach 300M "Lot of 2" | eBay

Could be. Try a few different SFPs from different vendors:

Cisco GLC SX mm 1000Base SX Transceiver Modules SHIP Today | eBay

Avago Original AFBR 5710PZ‎ 1000Base SX SFP Transceiver | eBay

Foundry Networks Original E1MG SX 1000Base SX SFP | eBay

A few points:

1) be systematic, only change 1 thing at a time, this means you may need some extra parts

2) consider getting a notebook so you can write down what you are doing

3) be systematic, only change 1 thing at a time.

4) if you can get iperf working, you can test the network segments individually and avoid guessing

5) 1,3...

Jabbr, about to start my diagnosis. Do you suggest I restart the MC220L and uR after every change?

It would be reasonable to restart after each time you change a cable connected to either one. Or if you detect a problem then restart and retest just to be sure.