IGNORED

Optical Network Configurations

Forgive me: I got a headache when I tried to read the last 10 pages as I’m not that conversant / knowledgeable on this topic.🙏

I do own two streamers: (1) SoTM Trifecta with SPS-500 and SBooster as power supplies, and (2) opticalRendu + opticalModule with two Sonore Audiophile Power Supplies with some generic TL-SM311LM SFP modules.

I also have the Innuos Phoenix Net switch (for trial) at home that I’ve connected my NUC (running Roon), Mac Studio M1 (running HQPlayer Desktop) and streamer. My DAC is the Holo May.

Currently, I prefer the SoTM setup over the Sonore one (it has better timbre and seems more ‘natural ‘ organic’. The latter seems a bit ‘digital-edged’ to me with a flatter soundstage (albeit, having perhaps quieter background).

So, my question is:
1. Can I improve the SQ from my optical setup (#2) by changing the SFP modules? If so, which one would you recommend?

Thanks, in advance for helping me out. 

• 4 months later...
On 9/3/2023 at 12:13 AM, charlesphoto said:

Holy Cow! Just installed a Cisco SFP-10G-AOC 2m between my opticalModule (1st gen) and opticalRendu. Wow. One of the biggest changes I've ever heard in this land of tweakery, that isn't even supposed to exist. I had single mode Finisair FTLF1421PBTL before, and they were somewhat better than the basic TPLink multimodes. But this. Stunned. 

The PRAT is somewhat slower than I'm used to, but I can really hear the separation between instruments. And I guess you can say they sound musical, like instruments are supposed to sound, with no hash or glare. Maybe slightly less detailed, but really takes the glare off the top end, which is always a problem for me as a tinnitus sufferer. I'll see how they burn in, plus my ears are stuffed up and recovering from an earache. But I've played Who's next, my favorite Vivaldi on Naive, and Cluster/Eno and Waltz for Debby 196/24, and they all sound deep and musical, and I can hears o much it's a bit overwhelming. I'll get used to it. If anything a bit too much bass, but that saves me and my wallet from my thinking I needed a sub before, and I can isolate the speakers a bit better. 

I got mine off eBay for $35 plus some tax, essentially brand new, from a US seller, not a knock off. 2 meters. Plug and play. Seriously, one of the biggest differences I've heard in a cable. I guess I would say if the SFP+ is even that much better, and you don't need to save $, go for it. I do right now, and this really completes my network side for almost nothing. Amazing upgrade. 

PXL_20230903_034257510.jpg

Bummer! I bought my SFP-10G-AOC1M for $217 (including shipping to the US) from AfterDark!

I, too, use it in between my 1st gen opticalModule and opticalRendu. Earlier, I’d take the USB out from the oR straight to my DAC (Holo May L2). Now, I use a SoTM TxUSB-Ultra and it improves the SQ enough that I have to keep it there.

This SFP / Fiber combo sounds better than the prior combos I have tried. In comparison to the SoTM SMS-200Ultra Neo, it is less full-bodied, less euphonic (but more than just using oM / oR combo with other SFP / Fiber combos), has a lower noise floor and is more detailed.

When I use the SMS-200Ultra Neo + TxUSB-Ultra combo, I prefer use of HQPlayer (either PCM 768KHz / LNS15 / Sinc-Long or DSD512 AMSDM7EC 512+fx / gauss-xla).

Instead, when I use the oM / oR + TxUSB-Ultra combo, I prefer just using Roon and excluding HQPlayer.

Preamp: VAC Renaissance Mk V

Amps: Parasound JC1+ monos

Speakers: Focal Maestro Utopia