IGNORED

Very new - seeking advice

Kelem

Hello, Very new member 1st time poster, venturing into a computer based sound system for my lounge,

I have a couple of questions if someone could be of assistance i would be most grateful.

I have a PC that is heading up to sit next to my TV upstairs acting as a HTPC (Running windows 7 Ultimate), i also like to be able to listen to the music, occupying space on the same PC, in various formats , MP3 FLAC's etc..

My PC has optical out.

I think i need to run that to a DAC then to an amplifier then to the speakers/sub if i use passive speakers or from the DAC to the speakers if i use active speakers/sub.

I am not really fussed on surround sound.

Cheers and thanks Kelem

Welcome to the forum!

A few ideas from someone who has gone from 5.1 to a 2.1 computer based system (Will soon be running from my laptop).

In terms of DAC to Active Speakers make sure the Actives have a preamp inside so you can control the volume from there (most will agree much better to do than using the volume control in Windows. Some of these models also have subouts so it can be evenly controlled with the same volume control.

In regards to subs if you want to reduce the clutter you can go with active standmounters which tend to perform better than their passive bretheren then the sub takes care of the rest including the all inportant LFE channel in movies.

Now if you arn't too fussed on DAC choices you could go with something like my ADM9.1s but another cool options is to go with a nice DAC/Preamp and then on to speakers with power amps inside. Just so I don't sound like an AVI salesperson other great choices I looked at were actives from Quad, Dynaudio and if you have some money and want an integrated DAC go Meridian or ADAM (of course it depends where you are. Good sub companies are the likes of REL, SVS the higher end Velodynes plus some of the brands listed above.

Of course all YMMV, just sharing my experience. :) Looking forward to other opinions as I have the same kind of philosophy. BTW Bluray on 2.1 is awesome and can be delivered full res over optical YES!

PS3 60bg (160GB installed + Native music Browser)-AVI ADM9.1-Klipsch SW12 Subwoofer-Belkin Power Board- Custom power cables-Supra Sub Cable- No Name Toslink Cable - PROUD NZer

Hello,

Not really got any experience with active gear but your statement "I think i need to run that to a DAC then to an amplifier then to the speakers/sub if i use passive speakers or from the DAC to the speakers if i use active speakers/sub" is correct.

There's also the the option- already mentioned- of using a DAC/Preamp unit in to active speakers (I think!) or in to power amp(s) in to passive speakers. Depending I guess on your budget, Beresford DAC/Preamps are worth considering for this purpose.

Very low post count myself but hope that helps.

Piers

Laptop - Beresford TC7520 (lightly modded) - Rega Brio3 - B&W602 S3