IGNORED

Which is better investment: SSD or power regenerator?

cbarber

Hi,

Wondering which folks thought would be a better investment, or if "better" is not a great word, how to compare the expected difference:

I'm using a Mac mini > Cosecant DAC w/ volume control > Power amp > apogee speakers.

Option 1: Get a SSD to run the OS and playback engine (undecided whether will use Sbooth's Play or itunes+amarra). All media will continue to be stored on an external spinning 1 TB firewire HDD (is that OK?).

OR

Option 2: Get a power regenerator like the PS Audio Power Plant Premier. Live in a city apartment with power that moves all over between 120 and 128 volts.

I know there's a price difference here between the two options!

Anyone have a sense of the sonic differences?

Thanks much

Hi, my preference, from experience of owning both, would be to purchase a regenerator. If you're wanting something cheap, buy a used Elgar 6006B, which is close in topology to the Accuphase unit. These are not pure regenerators, but are buck-boost units that add to or subtract from the incoming waveform to produce a very clean sine wave output. The Elgar units are not pretty, and come with a noisy fan that needs replacing or removal (if using less than, say, 300VA). But they're cheap---$100 typically compared to $6K to $10K for the Accuphase---they work well, and they respond well to tweaking (capacitor replacement largely).

Thanks -

So I'm testing Amarra and am familiar with the step-up it makes over just AIFF with itunes.

Do you think the improvement of a regenerator like the PS Audio powerplan premier, or the Elgar unit suggested above, would be on the order of the improvement Amarra offers over just iTunes?

Just trying to get a feel

Thanks again!

The PPP may not have enough storage like a true Power Isolation Unit ( or power supply). So you may start running out of those perfectly regenerated waves under certain conditions! Especially with an amp over 150 watts driven loud and given alot of complicated bass passages etc. There are a lot of factors with the amp being the most important of course. The size of the needed power supply has been the subject of much debate.

From Torus Power site:" A typical 200 watt audio power amplifier demands 10 amps RMS current from a 120 volt line (1200VA) but may demand up to 50 amp instantaneous peaks. The standard residential wall receptacle can't supply the 50 amp peaks because they typically have higher nominal impedance. A Torus 20 amp PIU plugged into the same wall plug can supply these peak current requirements quite easily."

See here: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=46895.0

James[br]

Hello cbarber,

Quite difficult question to answer since you compare two different equipements with different levels of impact and added values on sonic experience.

If I were you, I will proceed as follow :

1- dedicate my computer to audiofiles playback

2- make sure that the RAM is big enough (Sonic Studios advice 4GB to run Amarra. The bigger the better)

3- make a choice between Sbooth or Amarra. since Amarra cost 995 USD, the choice is far being neutral.

4- invest in power conditioner/filter. As far as my experience (Accuphase conditioner), the impact on accuracy / audio scene is huge.

5- invest on SSD computer for the peace of mind (despite it may cost a lot for this)

As far as I am concerned : I run Amarra on MBP connected to Weiss Minerva. MBP is dedicated to audio files playback. Audiofiles stored on external HD. MBP is configured with 4GB RAM and equipped with SATA drive. And all this is running perfectly well. The sound experience is superb and similar (if not superior) to those provided by my Accuphase integrated CD player.

Hope my experience, opinion and advice will help.

Pierre

MPB/iTunes + Audirvana / Amarra / AVS 3D - Accuphase E 550 / DAC 30 - Apertura Altra Signature

IMHO, yes. The step-up in sound experience will priorly come from power conditioner. The SSD would not be my priority. When power conditioner is bought, I suggest that you then explore the impact of cables. In this area too, improvement could/would be dramatic.

MPB/iTunes + Audirvana / Amarra / AVS 3D - Accuphase E 550 / DAC 30 - Apertura Altra Signature

cbarber, I second Pierre's recommendation. I run an Amarra setup with SSD into a Weiss AFI1 to a Lyngdorf, etc., all fed by an Accuphase conditioner. The conditioner adds a nice improvement I wouldn't want to be without.

FWIW, I once owned Elgar units, but had to dispose of them in a move. Once upgraded (capacitors + low v supplies replaced), they IMO rival the Accuphase products, which are probably designed on the Elgar topology. I would in any event purchase a conditioner used.

And BTW, the problem with upgrades is that IME the declining percentages you gain with each move up the chain are more interesting and valuable, experience-wise, than the larger leaps at lower levels. It's a funny thing, this audio stuff.

The Accuphase unit is more a regenerator than a conditioner (it employs active correction), but it doesn't entirely regenerate the AC waveform. It merely corrects the AC waveform against an AC reference it generates, though this correction requires some current. It is probably more efficient (less wasteful) than the PS Audio product, though perhaps equivalent if the latter truly gets the efficiency PS Audio says.

I suspect the two products are both very good. I prefer the Accuphase myself (I've owned PS Audio products in the past, though not their newest design). Accuphase is solidly built and engineered, with high quality components, moreso than PS Audio.

Pending on how much you want to invest. Accuphase products are quite expensive (at least in France). PS audio are good quality products. Probably not high-end but they are true, honest products with very good value for money.