IGNORED

UpTone Audio USB Regen Listening Impressions

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello,

What font recommend for a QB -9 DSD ?. My regen takes only 20 hours of burn-in and I'm using the original power supply . I've noticed improvements in the bass , better definition and articulation frequencies but in general , I'm not as satisfied as most of you . Use a Macbook Air with Maverciks and Audirvana . The power supply of Uptone is too expensive .

Thank you

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

After 50 hours with Regen on my system ( Macknook Air + Ayre QB -9 DSD + Cardas Clear) I can say that the result is satisfactory. The music is more consistent , more fluent , more emotion ... The bass is more articulate and precise, more rhythmic , maybe it's what I've noticed. I have also noticed an increase in depth. The power supply is the original that goes with the regen .

Also I have to say that I tried to add a Jitterbug Cardas Clear ( I've done tests with and without the Jitterbug ) and I decided to stay, he has promoted all the virtues that contributes Regen .

I still experimenting with a new Power Supply but which can not choose .

• 7 months later...

Hello,

I describe my system:

Macbook Air, Dac, Ayre QB DSD, Cardas Clear USB, Uptone Regen Amber, Curious Cable Link, Power Supply Sbooster BOTW P&P ECO 5V - 6V, Sbooster Vbus2 Isolator, Audirvana 2.3.2 (the best version that sounds in my system right now)

On the other USB port I have connected the Portable Hard Disk with AQ Jitterbug. The other day I tried to remove the AQ Jitterbug and heard songs that I know very well. My conclusions (in the absence of more hours of listening to music) is that my system is best heard without the AQ Jitterbug, improvements in the voices, deeper, more natural, less fatigue. With the Jitterbug music is like sound thicker is this possible?

The music I used in the tests (among other) is this:

Leonard Cohen – Old Ideas y Popular Problems

Malia – Convergence

Yello – Touch

These discs are heard fantastic with the Jitterbug, but without the still hear better

AQ Jitterbug is extremely system dependent. What you can try to do before you put the Jitterbug on the shelf collecting dust is to add it directly after the Sbooster Vbus2 Isolator in the output of the Macbook air, ie. Macbook air>Vbus2>AQ Jitterbug etc. The best improvement was made this way in my system. Never the less...it is not in use in my system right now.

Thank you

If I put the AQ Jitterbug with Isolator Vbus2 Portable Hard Disk is not working because you stream reaches 5 volts.

I do not want to put the AQ Jitterbug before Uptone Regen, I prefer to work alone. I am of the theory that less is more, the simpler the better

In the audio often do not differentiate between different and you hear hear better, we tend to think that when we hear something different from usual, we think is best heard and it is not always so. In the case of AQ Jitterbug (a lack of more hours of listening) I think music influences enhancing the sound but instead think naturally loses

• Thanks for the tips, for me now is complicated to change because no domino is IOS of Mac....would need some tutorial to learn. Audirvana plays from the.memory, in theory the Hard Disk is not involved when the music is playing. I have a lot to learn

In my case, the jitterbug was very good at fooling me into believing there was an improvement, and there was, sort of... the music became much more "physical", meaning singers and instruments seemed to "fill out" and become more "dimensional/rounded"... in reality it was kind of false, because it was stripping musical information from the audio and really kind of making the soundstage a bit claustrophobic and cluttered... that is not an improvement to me... it's a trade off. It wasn't until I removed them, that this all became startlingly clear.

I tried all manner of configurations with the JB and the result was always the same. My system sounded better without it. Less perceived depth and dimensionality, yes, but the JB were adding a kind of "false" depth and "dimensionality", so it wasn't real to me.

This is just my own personal experience with my particular chain, so I'm not writing off the JB's objectively, YMMV and all that.

The Regen is the real deal... I took it away after a few days of using it to see what difference it made, and the music sounded limp, sluggish, inauthentic and shallow without it...and I have the very good Bifrost 4490 DAC from Schiit, which is nearly as good as the multibit version, an excellent DAC, so you realize just how good the Regen is, if by taking it away, that DAC starts to sound "bad" (I mean in comparison to the Regen's addition) .. I can't imagine getting a new DAC without the Regen at this point. I've hear people say it even improves the world class Gungnir and Yggdrasil DACs which are further up the Schiit line.

• That I have experienced exactly the same, study of artificial sound, there are now more coherence and better depth