IGNORED

The "Official" Aurender Discussion Thread

Hi Dave,

All valid points.(that's what i was expecting to hear i must say)

I hoped it was possible to use the Aurender without all the garbage associated with routers while attached via cable.

Thanks for the reply.

If by "garbage associated with routers while attached via cable" you mean electrically induced noise, the Aurender takes care of all that.

If you mean something else by that statement, please elucidate.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Music is love, made audible.

I meant exactly that, electrically induced noise.

In which way the Aurender "takes care of all that?"

I don't know exactly how the Aurender does that, I forget how they describe that on their website.

But isn't the real bottom line not technical details, per se, but the ultimate essence of high quality sound?

For me, that's all that matters...and I care less how the machines get there.

Steve, thanks for the correction.

I don't like to mislead others, and so your info will help others.

Good stuff.

Dave

Sorry to disagree with you Dave. But I very successfully used my Aurender N100H wirelessly *and* controlled it via the iPad Conductor app. Aurender will recognize a Wifi USB dongle plugged into one of its USB ports and allows full control and play from the internal drive. Instructions are contained in the on-line Aurender N100H manual.

You'll need the wired connection to load the internal drive, or in the case of an N100 without internal drive, run Aurender Music Manager to catalog and load metadata for the USB drive, but after setting up the local Wifi network with the Wifi USB dongle and logging in, there is no need for a wired ethernet connection to control and playback music from local drives.

AURENDER - Reference Music System

Steve Z

I know the Aurender has the AMM and the Conductor app. Do any of you use anything else to manage your music on your computer to correct metatag data, or manage the music before the Aurender AMM and Conductor takes over? Is there a reason to do that?

Yes Steve. You need some application on your computer to create and manage (edit) your music library.

If you're ripping CDs, the same application can do all - rip, create, manage. Even if you just download music, most files need metadata editing.

Have you been creating a music library on your computer up to now?

Dave, who uses a mix of iTunes and XLD on the Mac for these purposes

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you. We were able to clean things up using "Clean Scan". I remain puzzed though by the lack of an editing function with Conductor. Am I missing something? Why not allow easy manipulation of files and folders within Conductor so that duplicate files can be deleted or so that errant files and folders can be re-arranged? Why not allow easy re-naming of files and folders?

Yes, I believe you are missing something.

And that is, the Aurender Conductor app simply does not let you (or anyone else) edit your library files or folders.

That simply isn't the way it now works.

So my question to you: Why rail against what doesn't exist? And if you wish it did exist, those in-Conductor editing functions, put your query to Aurender perhaps.

Yes, my tone was somewhat aggressive, Fsonicsmith. And for that I apologize to you. Not fair of me.

I believe the Aurender Conductor app does not allow editing because the Aurender designers like to keep many elements as simple as possible, with no potential interference in sound quality.

Thank you. We were able to clean things up using "Clean Scan". I remain puzzed though by the lack of an editing function with Conductor. Am I missing something? Why not allow easy manipulation of files and folders within Conductor so that duplicate files can be deleted or so that errant files and folders can be re-arranged? Why not allow easy re-naming of files and folders?

Yes, I believe you are missing something.

And that is, the Aurender Conductor app simply does not let you (or anyone else) edit your library files or folders.

That simply isn't the way it now works.

So my question to you: Why rail against what doesn't exist? And if you wish it did exist, those in-Conductor editing functions, put your query to Aurender perhaps.

Despite your somewhat aggressive tone, I am relieved to hear your answer and a sincere thank you. I will ask Aurender why they don't design their software to address editing. Thanks again.

• 3 weeks later...
I have just bought a N10 and started loading tracks from a USB drive. Although they loaded some tracks on the drive were corrupt. Is there way to delete these tracks from the N10? There doesn't seem to be any edit facility on the conductor app.

You need a computer for deleting files.

Follow the Aurender docs to see how with either a Mac or Windows computer, how to mount the N10's internal drives on your desktop.

Then, you can simply go into the N10's drives and delete any corrupt files.

Do you know why the files/tracks were corrupt?

Where had they been stored and used before?

Dave, who also has an N10

• 4 weeks later...

I've used a fair amount of different iOS apps over the years to control various music servers.

And from my POV, the Aurender Conductor app is clearly better in many ways than the following apps:

* Apple Remote

* Squeezebox

* iPeng

* Audirvana Plus

* Lumin

Better to me means clearer in usage, more functions (such as creating playlists), fast operation, and more. Here's one simple function that I've not seen implemented the same way in other apps: When you tap on "Clear" the resulting dialog box gives you the choice of clearing the entire queue (common) or everything but the track currently playing. That latter choice, not seen in other apps, is the one I often use.

Yes, an improved Conductor would be great, more modern colors as well. But I'm another person who doesn't need Roon, especially since I've carefully cultivated the metadata in music library -- at least the metadata that matters to me -- over the course of many years.

Dave

• 2 months later...

I updated my N10's system software, and there's one change I don't like.

That is, with the second line of tabs in the Conductor software, the ones each person can customize, there's now a new tab named, in all caps, STREAMING. That tab is immediately to the right of the "All" tab.

Two problems with that, for me:

(1) I don't stream. All my music is on the N10's internal drives.

(2) That new tab has now pushed out my previous last alphabetical tab, which I had named "World".

Now the actual music that was under the World tab is still there, but now it's under the Aurender-defined "Misc." tab.

I see nothing in the Conductor app settings that allows me to change which tabs are shown. And that lack of control is the same in both the newest version of that app and in the previous version.

Any suggestions for fixing this annoyance?

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

It's actually possible to scroll the tab-strip allowing you to see all tabs. In my case, the two right-most tabs was "hidden" in the new version, but I could find them again by click/hold on the strip and scroll to the right. Still this is a step back and makes is more complicated since it's not obvious that you can scroll.

Thanks. And yes, I've been scrolling the tab strip all along. But the N10 allows only 11 custom-named tabs, and the arrival of this STREAMING tab (all caps? so loud!) pushed off my last tab, last in alphabetical order, which I had named "World."

I also find it very strange to give the STREAMING tab such a focused position. It's also totally wrong to show the tab even when no streaming service is configured/in use! It feels like Aurender is moving in the direction where almost all development focus is on streaming services and not a high-end server platform to replace your CD/SACD-library...

I will write to Aurender with some simple suggestions for the next version of the system software:

* Under Settings > Streaming, give us an option to show the tab or not.

* And either make the tab say just "Streaming" (not obnoxious ALL CAPS) or give users the further option of case.

* And perhaps one more option: the placement of the "Streaming" tab in the row.

Dave, who is still delighted with the N10's sound going into a Chord DAVE so in the end this is a small annoyance but an annoyance nevertheless

But they were also there in the past the difference is they are being reported now. I am glad they are as I would prefer to not have them on the Aurender.

Hi Rick,

Thanks for this detailed info. My question for you now is: WHY do you prefer to not have those files on the Aurender?

I mean, I've been getting those "unrecognized files" report too as I use the scanner. However, those music files are, in reality, still there and still play fine.

So, why might I want to play around with Terminal -- where if you make an error, there is the chance of some unwanted things happening -- when the reality of playing music with the Aurender has not been changed?

Dave, who has been using Mac computers for over 30 years now and is comfortable enough with Terminal but is asking these questions with a more general perspective

Okay, Rick, that makes sense.

But could you more clearly list the Unix commands, since when I copy-and-pasted, I got error messages.

Such as this:

Irving-Main:~ Dave$ $find . -name "._*"

-bash: .: -n: invalid option