IGNORED

Cheapest low Power network node

I don't know if the title is correct but what I'm looking for is the cheapest fanless low power headerless gigabit ethernet connected node running windows Lite(?) with USB 2.0 port or ports. I just want to plug a USB DAC into this - the DAC needs to load a windows driver so I thought the smallest win OS I could get would be XP Lite running on some kind of SSD maybe. I don't want a VGA connection. Maybe gigabit ethernet in case I go multichannel audio (or video?). I want to power it from a Linear supply.

Any advice?

I reckoned something based on an AMD Geode LX CPU (0.7Watts - 1.5Watts) or Atom Z500/Z510 (0.65W - 2W) for fanless cooling & low power - and the ability to run it off Linear supply or batteries. That's why I want to keep to a barebones configuration - to keep the overall board power down (what's it called Thermal Dissipation Power TDP?). I would drop the Gigabit ethernet to 100mps ethernet if there was no other option.

Cherrypal nettop looked interesting but supply issues? I know about Fit-PC & Aleutia nettops but they don't match my specs in some aspect & I figured I could probably DIY exactly what I wanted cheaper. Am I correct?

You could try looking at www.miniitx.com

Good information about small motherboards running Atom, VIA an other processors.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Sorry yea mini-itx.com

It used to be more of a comunity, but mat e that's changed now... It's been a while since I visited.

Reading again I guess the Mini ITX stuff probably isn't what you are looking for anyway.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.