IGNORED

IKEA bamboo cutting board and Herbie's Audio Lab Tenderfeet

After an initial trial with the Bamboo cutting board I had in the house already, I went to IKEA and bought a few more of the large 3 layer blocks. I am considering cutting one of them in half, one for each speaker, one for my Mini/External Drive, one for my DAC, and one for my Marantz Reciever. What I can't figure out is which "feet" to use. I found these at Music Direct, and they seem to fit the bill, but I am no expert.

AUDIO SELECTIONS LARGE CONE BLACK (1.25" TALL) at Music Direct

and

AUDIO SELECTIONS SMALL SPIKE BLACK (EA) at Music Direct

Thoughts?

No electron left behind.

There are some nice Herbie's products that can help between things. I would recommend browsing their web page. I have a variety of items and have found them to be excellent.

I have a Herbies turntable mat on my SL1200, and I am happy with it. However it is my understanding that the purpose of the Bamboo is to be coupled to the equipment so it can absorb the vibrations. The Herbies Tenderfeet look like isolation feet, not coupling feet. IMO of course, I may be wrong.

No electron left behind.

You're reading the wrong thing. Read the article about the bamboo cutting boards.

It seems to me that if you want to isolate you should not have to worry about the base your equipment stands on or, you're not isolating, your isolation scheme doesn't work, or you don't understand the meaning of the word isolation.

No electron left behind.

Inferno, I think we are talking about the same thing from two different directions...

It is my understanding that the equipment should be coupled to the bamboo board, but that the bamboo, whatever it is set on should be isolated as much as possible from the outside. If that means each board is decoupled from the surroundings, or if it means the rack as a whole is decoupled is up to each of us individually. But, IMO the equipment sitting on the board should be coupled to get the vibrations from the equipment into the board, that is its purpose.

No electron left behind.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...
57 minutes ago, TubeLover said:

Several people specifically mentioned using IKEA Aptitlig bamboo cutting boards. I also will need a pair for a pair of speakers that I have on the way. The speakers are 14w x 13 d. I'm looking at this Aptitlig version, which is the right size. If you turn it over, is the bottom side flat? The top side has channels/grooves. 

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00233429/

JC

I have a bunch of those exact IKEA bamboo cutting boards under my equipment, with IsoAcoustics IsoPucks under them and the equipment.

Yes, one side of the board is flat.

No electron left behind.

Yes, I also have the multi layer boards. All Bamboo boards are essentially glued together as bamboo is not a solid wood like product like Birch or Maple. IMO what makes this board work is the fact that the layers are perpendicular to each other and they are very dense.

No electron left behind.