IGNORED

DLNA with router only?

I'm not sure exactly what sub forum to post this question, but it is time for me to buy a new router as my bandwidth streaming to my Oppo seems to be not enough for higher quality DSD recordings that I am streaming via jRiver. One thing I have tried to research without success is the option to remove my computer form the equation entirely and use the DLNA feature of a newer router to connect with to my Oppo. Is this possible? I have tried something like this before and I know it would be necessary to have a remote app to search and play music as the Oppo interface is impossible to use to find and browse through music files.

So in theory I want to buy a Linksys AC1900 with the eSata or USB 3 connection and stream over an external drive or NAS without the need to leave a computer on all the time using software like jRiver. Secondarily I want to have an app on my iPad to control the music and pick artists and songs on my storage. The majority of my files are FLAC and DSD, very few MP3s.

Digital: Synology NAS DS716+II > Netgear Nighthawk AC Wireless > Oppo Sonica DAC & 105

Analogue: Sota Sapphire, Well Tempered Classic Arm (LA Labs mod), Charisma Reference One MC, AcousTech PH-1 Premium Phono

The Rest: Conrad Johnson LS-17 Preamp, Conrad Johnson 2300A, Vandersteen 3A Sigs with 2Wq sub

It is possible to use a DLNA server built into a router, however my experience is these tend to be not very flexible in terms of configuration and will also be unlikely to support DSD (if they even support FLAC for that matter).

A separate NAS supporting Minimserver or a computer configured similar to the CAPSv4 or perhaps running Vortexbox would be a more flexible arrangement (though in terms of sound quality it shouldn't matter).

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

A separate NAS supporting Minimserver or a computer configured similar to the CAPSv4 or perhaps running Vortexbox would be a more flexible arrangement (though in terms of sound quality it shouldn't matter).

Eloise

Thanks, however you have mentioned a few technologies I have little knowledge, I suppose one of my other requirements is a low level of technology research. I think the jRiver on my PC is best for the time being....

Digital: Synology NAS DS716+II > Netgear Nighthawk AC Wireless > Oppo Sonica DAC & 105

Analogue: Sota Sapphire, Well Tempered Classic Arm (LA Labs mod), Charisma Reference One MC, AcousTech PH-1 Premium Phono

The Rest: Conrad Johnson LS-17 Preamp, Conrad Johnson 2300A, Vandersteen 3A Sigs with 2Wq sub