IGNORED

Small form PCs: Fit-PC2 vs Mac Mini

Aljordan, is the Fit-PC2 suitable for cMP/cPlay? The specs for the $399 Fit-PC2 XP HD are as follows:

* CPU: Intel Atom Z530 1.6GHz

* Storage: 160GB SATA hard disk

* WiFi: 802.11b/g

Standard features:

* Memory: 1GB DDR2

* Display: DVI up to 1920x1080

* Audio: High definition 2.0

* LAN: 1000 BaseT Ethernet

* USB: 6 USB

* IR Receiver

* miniSD socket

* 12V power supply

* PN: FITPC2-C1600-H-W-XPC

Is this likely to be sonically better or worse than the small form Mac solution of iTunes + Amarra on a Mac Mini for $599+$395=$994?

Are there other small form PC options?

To address tmfidelis comments

1. What software I/O are you planning to use in XP and OSx?

Ans. I currently use XP, Vista, and OS(X) for different computers and I'm willing to use any of these. I would even use Linux if someone provides a download for the installation of the OS, music player, and drivers for the recommended hardware such that any Windows or Mac user could install and maintain without trouble.

2. What hardware I/O are you planning to use?

Ans. I currently use firewire, toslink, coaxial, AES/EBU and USB. I have DACs that support them all, so I am flexible.

3. Do you have plans for remote desktop or screen sharing?

Ans. I see value in headless computer music servers but that is not a priority or necessity for me.

4. Any thoughts regarding iPhone or ITouch control?

Ans. I have used my iPhone as a remote to my MacBook Pro. I also like using the Apple Remote with the Front Row software. For cMP/cPlay I often use a wireless mouse for remote control. I know that XXHighEnd has WiFi remote capabilities but I have not explored those options.

5. Any consideration regarding overall noise from the two computers?

Ans. I want beautiful music, not noise. I have no interest in any noisy solution that IMO negatively affects the sound way beyond the audible sound of the noise itself.

6. Are you planning to use the computer for music only or also as a computer?

Ans. If a new computer equals or betters the sonic performances of my existing computer dedicated music servers, then it too would be for music only. My interest in this discussion is for a dedicated music server that has superior performance otherwise I'm not interested.