IGNORED

Official TIDAL HIFI Streaming Issues Thread

I have not been to this forum in a long while. I now have a Marantz AV-7704, Oppo 103 and a subscription to Tidal Hi-Fi. I have an app called HEOS which is convienent but does not allow for the pass through of MQA quailty audio from Tidal. The app also does not display the full Tidal web site information whcih I can access if I use Bluetooth via my android phone and play it through the AV-7704. But no MQA that way either.

My question for the forum is how can I access the MQA content I am paying for and play it through the AV-7704? If I am in the wrong area please let me know where I should post this question. I am looking at a new PC and am not averse to purchasing something to allow me to access these files from PC to the Marantz. Please advise. 

Hi, Thanks for the reply.

I am looking for a wireless solution first. I have seen a wireless HDMI connecter that I could connect from PC to the 7704 but that will not operate Tidal from the PC.

I have a Samsung S2 tablet is that what you are referring as a mini pc?

I am getting a new PC and can add WiFi or duel HDMI  but control is the issue.

If I purchase a  full 4X MQA decoding dac or have one installed  into the new PC how do I access tracks etc? It is quite maddening to pay for a service that I cannot access. 

Tidal says , " MQA is only available in the latest desktop client version "?

On 1/10/2019 at 4:33 PM, left channel said:

Glad to help.

Options (2) and (3) include wireless control via a wireless keyboard.
Option (3) includes wireless control via a third-party app on your phone.

The Samsung S2 is an Android tablet. An example of a fanless mini PC is my Logic Supply CL100. The CL100 would work great for Option (2), but Option (3) would require a PC that is at least a bit more powerful.

Buying an MQA DAC is a big research/shopping project. Normally this would be an external box you insert between your PC and your Marantz. Also there are third-party streaming products from companies like Bluesound that include internal MQA-compatible DACs. I expect others will chime in here at any moment with more and more expensive options.

Everything I have suggested is MQA compatible. Different Tidal web pages with MQA support and MQA partnership information can be confusing and contradictory.

I used to have a PC connected to the Oppo via HDMI. I was able to access content from the PC and controlled it via my phone using Kodi remote called Kore. The PC broke. BUT now if I can access full MQA through a PC connected to the Oppo using my phone as a controller to access the entire Tidal site instead of the truncated site offered by HEOS maybe that is the way to go?

I also have a music server option within the 7704, it is WiFi and bluetooth capable possibly I could access the full Tidal site in this manner? 

Maybe Oppo has upgraded Tidal to include MQA?

On 1/13/2019 at 12:03 PM, left channel said:

A PC would be the easiest solution for me. Other choices include a Bluesound Node 2 or similar products connected to the Marantz, though those work via their own apps.

I'm clearly no expert on all these components, but Google tells me only the Oppo 205 has received an MQA upgrade. I don't know if excluding the 103 was a business choice or a limitation of its hardware, but now that Oppo has dropped audio to focus on mobile phones I doubt that will change.

Similarly, Marantz has not upgraded the 7704 to support MQA. But you may at least be able to stream CD-quality to it, and that could perhaps be done via mconnect as described with the Marantz on a wired LAN that your handheld device is also on via Wi-Fi, and maybe via other apps and with diminishing returns using Wi-Fi or the lowest choice on my list which is Bluetooth. But you want MQA, so it's back to the first paragraph here.

Marantz informs me that I am recieving CD quality sound whether I am sending the Tidal signal via bluetooth or through the HEOS app. Like I said prevoius I had a PC connected to the Oppo until the PC broke, quite a while back. I did not set the PC up and the tech person that did is no longer around. I also do not remember how I controlled the PC although I do remember it was quite a convoluted method. Kodi and Kore were involved. Kodi had nothing in regards to graphics on the current version of Tidal.

What about this plugged direct into either Oppo or Marantz and some way to control it via smart phone apphttps://www.amazon.ca/AWOW-Computer-Stick-Windows-64-bit/dp/B073QL5NRG/ref=asc_df_B074KVYH5H/?tag=googleshopc0c-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=292954324246&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4513818582377289882&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9001172&hvtargid=pla-624228704127&th=1,?

What about a wireless HDMI connection https://www.amazon.com/IOGEAR-Wireless-Digital-Channel-GW3DHDKIT/dp/B00630WKGI from PC to either Oppo or Marantz from the main PC and some way to control it via smart phone, same price for either?

Purchasing another peice of equipment like Bluesound Node 2 leaves me wondering why with all the tech available and already onhand why do I require yet another pieie of gear? There must be a better way.

I have purchased this PC https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/hp-pavilion-desktop-pc-natural-silver-intel-core-i5-8400-1tb-hdd-128gb-ssd-8gb-ram-win-10-eng/12547155.aspx?icmp=Recos_3across_tp_sllng_prdcts. It has built in Wi-Fi and Blu tooth. 

Maybe it is a moot point then? Or can I use this PC or any other PC in what fashion to get MQA? Connect via HDMI. and.

Marantz states their product does not support MQA as reproduced below. thier response in red.

This is the response I recived from Oppo regarding connection for MQA.

The BDP-103 is not capable of MQA.  You will have to connect a HDMI from the PC to the BDP-103 because the USB ports on the player is for USB storage devices.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OT Service, Inc.

162 Constitution Dr.

Menlo Park, CA 94025

[email protected]

From Marantz

.How can I access the next tier of audio from Tidal MQA, (SACD quality) and play it through the 7704?
A3.2: You can't as none of our equipment supports MQA or Tidal Masters.

I suggest you first start with the basics per my first paragraph: the Tidal app on the PC, connected to the Marantz via HDMI, with the app doing 1x MQA decoding. Maybe with a wireless keyboard like the Logitech K400 Plus. If that isn't enough of a remote control for you, the next step could be a software upgrade to the MQA-capable Audirvana+. 

Thank you for your perserverance. I have had that same old PC repaired it is now working.

Old PC to Marantz via HDMI. When connected in this manner I should see the PC screen on the TV monitor when the appropriate input on the Marantz is selected, then a wireless keyboard will control the image on the screen for track select from Tidal etc?

I guess WiFi Tidal from the new PC is not an option, https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/hp-pavilion-desktop-pc-natural-silver-intel-core-i5-8400-1tb-hdd-128gb-ssd-8gb-ram-win-10-eng/12547155.aspx?icmp=Recos_3across_tp_sllng_prdcts

I want a wireless keyboard for the new PC anyhow so I can try it out on the old PC I suppose. Thanks for all of the help I will connect the old PC and see what happens. Hopefully good things occur.