IGNORED

Fm tuner for a computer

Hello everyone, I have a mac ibook as my source and a set of audioengine 5 speakers, & the audioengine W1 wireless audio adapter hooking it all together.

Im very pleased with how this works but one thing I'd like to add in is an FM tuner. We have some great local stations that have excellent over the air signals but are mediocre online.

Just to keep everything simple and computer based I'm looking at options on how to do this. The only two I've found so far are the Griffin Radio shark 2, Decent price but mixed reviews, and a Winradio, very good reviews but fairly pricey and too many feature I'd not need. So if anyone has any ideas i'd like to hear them, thanks.

Not sure on the costs you're talking about for the Griffin Radio Shark 2 and Winradio, but the other option would be to buy a cheep new or second hand FM tuner - something like the Denon T260L are available around here second hand for around £50 a time. You can either connect it direct to your powered speakers (if they have volume) or connect it to the line in of your iBook and use LineIn from Rogue Amoeba.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

The radio shark is about $ 50 and the winradio start at more than 10X that. They (winradio) are more targeted at short wave and dx enthusiasts.

My ibook is an older model so it doesn't have the line in feature otherwise I'd just do as you've suggested. I'll probably just take the $50 gamble with the radio shark and hopefully it works as advertised!

Thanks