IGNORED

DFF to DSF conversion

PhVL

How convert DFF to DSF (while under Windows)

Audiventory,

From what I can tell in your log (as I try to convert a folder of DFF to DSF) you are simply using the age-old DFF2WAV.exe, which is a PCM converter!!! This is not optimal high end conversion (your words) and no better than the non-recommended-by-JRiver JRiver utility. Please advise!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
This looks very interesting.

I have used SACD extractor to generate DFF files from ISO files.

Then I have converted DFF to DSF (for tagging) by using JRiver.

Now I have horrible pop noise.

Is this AuI ConverteR THE solution to eliminate the noise while keeping the sound quality?

Yazsan55, we are discussing multiple tools here. The one that does ISO to DFF then to DSF (yet keeps the tags from the ISO contents) is Bogi's ISO2DSF, not the AuI converter. Which are you asking about? You referenced Bogi's quote yet said "AuI".

Here is mine (Columbia 199 version). Works fine (even using 1.2.2). I have yet to rip my other two versions (AP and Japanese) cuz AP uses same multichannel and Japanese is simply this one's stereo layer...but will now and report back.

timeout iso2dsf.jpg

• 1 month later...
Can anybody clarify which, if any, PC based tools can convert to DSF without pops? It seems that some are not having the issue, or is it that maybe some aren't concerned because they don't have many gapless SACDs?

Root9,

I think you might have missed the gist of much of this thread. Bogi's ISO2DSF tool V1.2.2 (WIndows pc-based, with Miska's generous help) takes the approach that since the Mr. Wicked;s original DSF extraction causes pops, and neither DFF nor DFF-to-DSF does (the damage is from ISO to DSF) then why don't we do ISO to DFF to then DSF. The issue in the past (other than needing multiple iterations and maybe multiple tools) was the lack of metadata/tags once one goes down the DFF road. SO.....his toolset, installed and then run from Windows Explorer (autocontext i.e. right click) takes an ISO, captures its table of contents metadata, first converts to DFF, then to DSF, then puts the TOC tags back in the DSF tracks....all in one swoop. This solves two problems: 1) DSF extraction pops; 2) metadata lost if doing this in sequence.

• 5 months later...
Hi David,

Regarding Trax, does it do gapless conversion of ISO to DFF and/or DSF? So far I haven't been able to convert one ISO file into a DSF without a 3 sec. gap.. a "click" would be a great improvement!

That sounds like a player setting. What tool are you using to extract from the ISO?

• 1 month later...
Is there a Windows (8.1) dff to dsf converter that will batch process that isn't so expensive?

Miska's (Jussi) is free, and Bogi has added auto-context to enable it from Window Explorer. Same for his ISO to DSF (going through DFF) approach. Batching, however, simply means multiple command windows in this case.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/dff-dsf-conversion-21715/#post354558

The one you linked I can't get to work. Where's the link for the other?

Works for me (the link and the zip file). The ISO program is in the same post, Jason...see his signature.

Right. Doesn't work here and I don't need from ISO. Just DFF to DSF. Thanks anyway.

Then what did you mean by "where's the link for the other?" What other? Jussi's standard DFF to DSF (no Windows Explorer context, just good old command line) is on his Signalyst site, under the professional tab:

Signalyst

Here is Bogi's zip file, saved to my dropbox, if any interest (assuming "doesn't work here" means you couldn't access this file download. If it, instead, means you couldn't get this product to actually work, I can't help much except to say follow the pdf):

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3487125/DFF2DSF_context_menu_Win7_Win8_v110.zip

OK, thanks for that link. Errr...command line though. That's not for me!

Let's start over. Bogi's program, which I then linked to via my dropbox account, is not a command line interface, it is a Windows Explorer (right-click) interface, and to batch you simply highlight multiple tracks....the number of highlighted tracks equals the number of parallel command windows that automatically run...they finish and close automatically.

Only running Jussi's raw code is a command line thing; that's why Bogi created the auto-context interface to it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Anybody know why neither Jussi's command-line 1.2.1 or 1.2.2 DFF2DSF nor Bogi's workflow DFF to DSF app will convert a DSD256 5.0 DFF file? I get an immediate 1kb DSF file, with no error message. I have PM's into Peter and Jussi earlier today but nothing yet.

Jussi

I completely apologize!! I ran movement 3 through HQplayer and it played, so I started with movement 1 (and tried movement 2, too) to do the DFF2DSF. No go. HOWEVER, today when I tried to play any of the 3 in HQPlayer only movement 3 would drag-drop and play, and.....sure enough, only movement 3 gets successfully converted too!! DAMN!

Net/net, it is something on our end, not yours. Complete coincidence that the only one I tested is the only one that is clean. Sorry to bother you. BTW, since I sent you movement 1 maybe you can tell me what's missing. It could have simply been an FTP interrupt or something on our end. I'll try again.

Ted

edit: yes, a big FTP download error on my part. A big...."nevermind"! :)

• 1 year later...
6 hours ago, mikey8811 said:

Bogi

Sorry to revive this.

I am in the same boat as the OP but am on Windows Vista.

Does this version of the software work on Vista?

Thanks

It's free, so try it.  Nothing to lose.  BTW, why are you still on Vista?  :)