IGNORED

Auralic Aries (Hardware) - Impressions and Information

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
If you have'nt tried 3-wire unshielded USB cables (with GND on a distance from data wires to reduce capasitive coupling) with SBooster Vbus2 both before and after the USB Regen powered by battery supply (disconnected to mains) plus externally grounding the BPS you do not quite know what USB audio is capable of! My personal 2 cents! :)

The Aries and Vega does not need a ground on the USB cable.. It is done internally... I have a Curious cable with no ground leg.

you're sure it's the ground wire your cable is missing?

I've always been told USB doesn't work at all without the ground wire

now... the vBus wire is a different matter: in fact I'm using a *no* vBus wire cable between the Aries and Regen

My mistake...It doesn't need the 5v leg...

Aaah....the potential pitfalls of the quest to "improve" the SQ of a playback system. Great recordings sound even better and lesser recordings sound worse. 4.0.6 sounds good to me on my setup but I hope they don't go too much further with getting a cleaner sound. I can imagine that I might not be as impressed if I still owned a couple of previous DACS that exhibited a certain amount of digital glare compared to what I have now.

The endless pursuit of cleaner sound is a double edged sword, it's great if your music library consists mainly of audiophile jazz recordings etc. but if you're a big fan of say....70's & 80's rock & popular music then there is definitely a case for a bit of "colour" being a good thing, particularly with some of that typical 80's edgy & thin mastering.

Assuming that most people's music collections would be quite varied, I think there is a good case for getting to a point of "good enough". Maybe there is a case for being able to choose your software version based on your setup and library?

I agree with all of this...

Not knowing what the hell I'm talking about,but maybe you people should concentrate on an amp or speakers vs Wyred Recovery or the Regen and microRendu! I'm perfectly happy with my music from a thumb drive or Tidal into my Aries out to my Vega into my Fisher X202 out to my JBL Apollo C51's... Too many Regen's for sale. Why?