IGNORED

Optical Out for PC

Hi All,

I have assembled a i3 based HTPC, comprising of a gigabyter b85 based motherboard, with a hdmi output.

I will connect my htpc to my plasma using the HDMI Cable.

My Receiver is capable of only receiving sound through optical out input.

MY htpc does not has a digital out output, however, my receiver(old) has a digital out input, no hdmi.

What is the best and the cost efficient way to get this connection from my HTPC.

Regards,

Geez

A couple of suggestions (in addition to Old Listener's) concentrating on budget...

If you can find one a Musical Fidelity V-Link or V-Link MkII.

A ESI Juli@ PCI (or the equivilent PCIe) card.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Could you supply the model number for the gigabyte motherboard?

Your MB might have a connector for SPDIF out even if it doesn't have a optical output on the back panel. If so, you can buy a small adapter for $ 10-15. An example

Amazon.com: SPDIF RCA Out Plate Cable Bracket: Electronics

Does the case have room to add a PCI card?

Motherboard iam using is B85M-DS3H ,and seems this motherboard does not has a connector for SPDIF

Motherboard iam using is B85M-DS3H ,and seems this motherboard does not has a connector for SPDIF

Your motherboard has a PCIe slot. If your case allows you to use a PCIe card, you could use a ESI Juli@ PCIe card. I've used the PCI version of the Juli@ card for years.

Our you could use a USB to (optical) SPDIF converter. Google for "usb to spdif converter" or search on Amazon and you'll find alternatives from $ 12 to over $ 500.