IGNORED

Problems with xlr to 3.5mm

Hi i got a problem about connection. i tend to connect my dac to a computer speaker supporting a 3.5mm trs input through a "3.5mm to xlr"cable which is often used to connect mic to preamp

will electrical level of XLR output of dac iv is too high to damage either itself or the said speaker if i connect in this way?

Welcome to the forum! If you've been connecting the XLR out to your speaker's input and it sounds okay, then you're fine. If it sounds distorted, even when you have the speaker volume down, then you are overloading the input of the speaker's built in amp. This probably won't damage anything (well, if done loudly or long enough, it might damage the actual speaker)--but you would really be hearing a lot of distortion.

Is your dac balanced output only? If it has "phono" outs, they would be at a lower voltage. If not, Neutrik makes an XLR jack that also accepts 1/4 inch 2 and 3 conductor plugs-- possibly your DAC uses those. This would be mentioned in the DAC user manual.

Welcome to the forum! If you've been connecting the XLR out to your speaker's input and it sounds okay, then you're fine. If it sounds distorted, even when you have the speaker volume down, then you are overloading the input of the speaker's built in amp. This probably won't damage anything (well, if done loudly or long enough, it might damage the actual speaker)--but you would really be hearing a lot of distortion.

Is your dac balanced output only? If it has "phono" outs, they would be at a lower voltage. If not, Neutrik makes an XLR jack that also accepts 1/4 inch 2 and 3 conductor plugs-- possibly your DAC uses those. This would be mentioned in the DAC user manual.

thanks for replying, my dac have the regular unbalanced output as well (i.e RCA.. ) i probably use them.:)