IGNORED

Article: A Visit To Linn And Glasgow, Scotland

Well I thought you had good taste until you mentioned Irn-Bru. Didn't you try a deep fried Mars bar?

Anyway a shame you couldn't explore Scotland beyond Glasgow.

(Sorry all nothing to do with Linn).

Did you get to any of the other UK HiFi industries while you were over here?

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

The Exakt system is pretty cool. If the DS was connected wirelessly to the speakers and had a USB input for an external drive, it would be perfect. Well, except for the pricing.

Why is everyone hung up on direct USB connections... All it means is the renderer (player) has to do file management duties as well as playing the music. A well set up UPnP server is much better idea (if you are avoiding utilising a computer).

Eloise

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

Linn have upgraded the "standard" Klimax and Akurate DSM units now so that you can (for example) use the DSM with third party active speakers now and upgrade to the Exakt speakers later.

No they don't support DSD - I think that's a decision they will stick with.

An upgrade would be the replacement of the DSM unit which would then continue to work with the existing Exakt speakers. Linn have been good in upgrading the DS units as newer versions have come along so I imagine in the future they will be too.

The DSM units can accept analogue inputs which can be set for HT bypass (certainly the Akurate DS can). Alternatively the HDMI inputs can strip the front two channels for decoding within the Linn system and pass the center and surround to a third-party decoder.

Eloise

The major problem with this Exakt approach is it binds the audiophile to the "Linn way" of Digital to analog conversion...

And right now they are very much anti DSD...

DAC separates can't be used right?

Therefore a very expensive upgrade is required if Linn ever embraces DSD or multichannel DACs...???

How do you use this setup in the daily rough and tumble of life with say a Home theatre receiver? Can you use a preamp with HT bypass? And which preamp! ??

Can someone please tell me if there is upgrade potential later on with this gear?

Eloise

---

Isn't this what Meridian have been doing for years?

Yes. At least mostly.

I may have missed something - but I don't think Linn are claiming the Exact system is any more revolutionary than Apple claimed the iPod was... :-)

Eloise

---