IGNORED

Media Monkey's progress bar is slow -- makes noise at end of track

I finally got the recommended pieces to play HRx music. Lynx AES-16 sound card and Media Monkey. Sending via AES cable to a DAC (Benchmark Media DAC). So I played my first tracks.

At the end of every track, there is a large pop/noise.

I traced it to the fact that MM is not displaying the correct progress time, i.e. the progress bar is slower than real time. So the progress button never reaches the end of it's bar. (The little red button that moves along as the track is being played.)

When the track ends, the button disappears (as it should), even though it never reached the end of the bar. EXACTLY when the button disappears, there is a large pop noise!

For example: a track with length 7:17, MM shows it finished in 6:42. I timed these tracks. The play time really is 7:17, but MM shows it finished in 6:42.

Another track is 3:34, MM displayed it finished in 3:27.

Another track is 3:04, MM displayed it finished in 2:49.

This is with version 3.1.0.1256 of Media Monkey.

I have only seen the problem with 176.4 KHz tracks. (WAV) CD (44 kHz) plays fine.

Anyone know any work around setting? Anyone else seeing this?

-Tom

One of my computer music servers may be the same as yours, i.e., Windows XP computer, Lynx AES16 PCI card, Lynx AES cable, Benchmark USB DAC1, MediaMonkey (version 3.0.6.1190 however).

I used the Lynx drivers and setup recommended on the Reference Recordings website for HRx and all my formats play fine, including 24/176.4. Have you tried those drivers and the Lynx setup as recommended by RR?

Are you having problems with the Reference Recordings HRx files? Have you tried another software player such as foobar2000, XXHighEnd, Wavelab, or J.River to see if the problem is isolated to MediaMonkey? The free demo versions of XXHighEnd or Wavelab are sufficient for testing.

If you investigated these possibilities and have ruled out everything but MediaMonkey then I suggest you try a previous version of MediaMonkey.

I have everything setup as per the Reference Recording web site for Windows XP. Same as yours, I expect, down to the correct 1.30 build 057g and firmware Rev 23.

I will next get an older MM version, if available.

I downloaded MM version 3.0.3.1183, and it works great!

The progress bar is still wrong, but in the other direction. The button stays at the end of the line, with the music still playing, but since the button is at the end, there is no longer any noise at the end of the track.

I will just stick with this version, also because I think it just sounds better too. Too bad the changes they have put into the newer versions have messed up the sound.

-Tom

I am having the same problem with MM and some of the RR HRx files - namely Hot Club pops at the end of every track. Most of the other titles don't pop, except once in a while. No popping at 44.1 I will try the older version of MM. I also get a moment of silence between tracks at 44.1 This is only a problem for CD's where the music continues between tracks. For example many of the classical CD's I have (Mercury reissues for example) have multiple tracks dividing a piece, even though the music doesn't have a natural break. This effect also occurs on my iPod. Any ideas for solving this? Thanks. Larry

Analog-VPIClas3,3DArm,LyraSkala+MiyajimaZeromono,Herron VTPH2APhono,2AmpexATR-102+MerrillTridentMaster TapePreamp

Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicrosonicsModel2; Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC, Roon-HQPlayer,Oppo105

Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps; Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR

Other-2x512EngineerMarutaniSymmetrical Power+Cables Music-1.8KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,50+TBripped files