IGNORED

Nas/Dac/jriver solution - is it possible without a laptop

At the moment I am running Jriver from my laptop through my Dac into my stereo with 2TB external HD connected to my laptop. I am very new to all this and some of it's going over my head right now. I am looking for the easier solution to play my music without having to see loads of wires and boxes around the place. Would like the option of hard wired for best quality and wireless streaming if both is possible. Most of my files are Flac,AIFF from ripped CDs and a few mp3s. Would like to have the Nas and the laptop out of site but sure how I would connect the Dac to the Hifi if it's to far away. Any help would really be appreciated.

You could use a network streaming system but this would likely replace you DAC unless you went for something like SotM SMS100 or perhaps the new Auralic Aries when it becomes available.

Probably most cost effective route would be to build a CAPS unit to replace your laptop. Then a long network cable allows you to locate he NAS far from your computer.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.