IGNORED

HQ Player

Convolution is performed at 44.1k before upsampling. Convolution is generally performed at source rate, except for DSD-to-PCM case where it is performed after conversion to PCM at 1/16th of the DSD rate (significant reduction in CPU load).

Is it OK to use 96kHz convolution files even though it convolves at 44.1kHz? Thanks!!

Yes, normally Miska even recommends to use a 192kHz filter.

Great.

A suggestion: I would like to see a way to upsample, apply filter, and then upsample again. This could be done in one step within the program, or by adding an "input" that would allow a virtual cable to be the output of player instance 1 cabled to the input of player instance 2. Adding an input would also give the ability to play various sources through HQPlayer.

Maybe I am missing a way to do this?

What would be the point of doing so? I can only think of negative effects...

I was stuck in my old thinking that the Convolver needs the sample rate of the file to be the sample rate of the filter... So all that is not necessary. But I would still want to upsample before applying the convolution, not after. Would it make any difference? I'm not sure.

A side note: My DRC can generate 96 kHz filters at 24 bit, not sure about 32 bit. Would it be a good idea to upsample to 192kHz/32 bit? The only software I know that does 192 is Dirac Live, and I can't afford it.

As I wrote previously, I'm not experienced in streaming, but I remember the same what Bibo answered: no upnp with HQPlayer Desktop. But HQPlayer Desktop can access http streams for example from radio stations.

I saw you use foobar2000 a few posts up to create a kind of wav stream. My question is: is there a way to set a HQPlayer output that creates a wav stream that can then be loaded by another instance of HQPlayer? Thanks!

I don't know. HQPlayer output is device (ASIO or WASAPI).

The thing to do would be to use HQPlayer to resample and out to a virtual cable, into an application that can do a wav stream like you have done, and load that stream into a separate HQPlayer that would convolve the signal.

A wav stream program like that could also be used to route audio from optical in to wav stream to HQPlayer...

While we are at it... I’d like to be able to select sound input.

What I want to do: connect my AppleTV via optical (since Airplay is not cross platform) to my mini and then select that input in HQP. In this way everything from my mini (movies, music etc) can be channeled through my DSD only dac.

You might use "Stream what you hear". Might have to fiddle with some virtual cables, not sure... I have VAC installed and sending audio to "Virtual Cable 1" with no cable set up and volume turned down

If you hear double noise turn the playback volume in Windows to zero. Post if you have problems.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Hi,

not sure whether this question has been asked before - any idea whether ALAC will be supported by HQPlayer in the future?

My music are nearly all in ALAC, For my brief testin, HQPlayer sounds good, but converting all the ripped music again ...

You can stream any format foobar2000 supports to HQP. On PC that is...

check here: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/stream-hqplayer-desktop-foobar2000-29676/

Thanks, tried to install HQP with Ubuntu Studio but get the following error with gdebi:

Error:dependency is not satisfiable: qtdeclarative5-controls-plugin

Bearing in mind Ubuntu Studio is a recommended distribution for HQP, this could all be a little easier...reminds me why I went back to Windows in the first place..

did you try sudo apt-get install qtdeclarative5-controls-plugin

or whatever the proper install command is?

edit: looks like that package is "deleted" from some repositories. It does say head package is qtquickcontrols-opensource-src. Not sure if installing that would get you there, maybe someone else knows