IGNORED

HQ Player

If Jriver was a bit more forward thinking, they should consider a new music only build.

The million lines of code that's in the current build has probably run its course to stay competitive in this (small, niche) market. Thinking A+, HQP, Amarra et al)

It's a great app for sure, but there's sooo much for just music.

Sent from CA app

I think that, that could be JRiver's "demise" from a business perspective. I am saying this, because tech companies need to stay at the forefront and since a new player has arrived in town, i.e Roon, then they should find a way to collaborate with them and stay financially viable.

Maybe they have enough customers to stay financially healthy or maybe it's not their concern yet, or most probably they have already planned their next moves. Either way, we will see. But, it's very easy in this market to disappear very quickly and lose your customers to a competitor.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile mobile app

error.png

Can anyone help me please, newbie here...

I downloaded HQPlayer trial for Windows and installed it on a laptop, which will server as my main server.

I downloaded the network adapter for windows and installed it on another laptop (which doesn't have hqplayer desktop installed, just the adapter).

On the server laptop I select NetworkAudioAdapter as my Backend, but there's no "Device" showing in the list. Anyhow, I setup everything on the server side and press OK. Hoping that I have also setup correctly my music library, on the server laptop (it's an external HDD attached to the laptop), I am trying to play music...theoretically.

Nothing happens and I get these errors on the NAA laptop, as you can see from the screenshot.

What am I doing wrong, in terms of setup and connection I connect the server laptop via Ethernet and the NAA laptop via WiFi, if that helps. The server laptop is running Windows 8 and the NAA laptop runs Windows 10 Home...

Many thanks in advance!!

Make sure the DAC is your default device on the NAA computer. You might want to temporarily disable other output devices. And that you have the the ASIO driver for your DAC installed. If you still don't get results, try hardwiring the NAA computer to your network and see if that helps.

Thank you very much Zack, that did the trick!

Ok, I know I'm late at the party, but I have to say: HQPlayer+NAA is a GAME CHANGER!!! All one needs is a good server and then something like the microRendu with the NAA/Roon output and it's game on!!!! This is exciting!!!

Oh, good! I was using an old laptop for the NAA, with a lot of tweaks to Windows 8.1. Switching to a Cubox and Miska's SD image made things a lot cleaner and quieter. Is the microRendu available yet? I'd like to try that.

It's very exciting and I'm glad it's working for you.

Not yet available, but soon I'm guessing. Keep an eye on their thread and website.

I've been using HQPlayer with Ubuntu Studio for some time and been very pleased with the performance. But on a whim I decided to try Debian stretch OS this week. I also upgraded HQPlayer from 3.12 to 3.13 at the same time which is a bit silly - its hard to pin down whether changes are due to new OS, or upgraded app. Anyway, after a couple of days listening I am certain that my computer audio system sounds better than ever. The main improvement is in the sound stage. Instruments have a very clear position in space and are totally free of the speaker. But any description of SQ changes are subjective, the objective observation that I have made relates to CPU usage. Previously (Ubuntu Studio, HQP 13.12) when playing hi res file, CPU usage was around 46%. Now (Debian, HQP 13.13) CPU usage is 38% with same settings.

I use a JLSounds USBtoI2S card, and HQPlayer upsamples everything to DSD256. Filer is poly sinc mp 2s, modulator DSD7 256+fs.

I like the automatic rate selection. I always had to switch the sample rate manually when moving from 48k family (12.3Mhz) to 44.1k family (11.3Mhz), and this is a nice touch.

Thanks Jussi, I love HQPlayer.

Regards, Hazard

Can I just ask concerning the JLSounds card, do I need to do any soldering or anything else, or does it work out of the box? The reason I am asking is that it sounds great, but I am not an engineer if it's meant for DIY builds...

Can I just ask, the license for HQPlayer is transferrable to other computers, in case I decide to upgrade (cpu, or windows) or is it tied onto that particular computer and I'll have to buy a new license?

Hi, I have iFi Micro iDSD as a DAC with Micro iCAN as amp and I resample redbook(mostly) to DSD 256.

Is my setting OK?

Thanks for any recommendations and thanks to Miska for fantastic sounding player :)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24593[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]24594[/ATTACH]

What are your computer specs?

i7 3610QM, 16 GB RAM, VGA HD7970M

HQP 3.13.1 - I have no performance problems with these settings, everything works well. My question was about DSDIFF setting, vol. min./max. etc., ;-)

Thanks for the info!

The reason I asked is because I want to build a new (or buy an older server) to upsample to DSD256 with my iFi Nano DSD and am interested in the sort of specs people use with HQPlayer...

Thanks to goldsdad I am now able to use iTunes for browsing and then drag songs or albums into HQPlayer:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24608[/ATTACH]

It's the next best thing to playing from iTunes!

Just like choosing a CD from the shelf and feeding it to the player.

R

Please explain a bit more! Is there a how-to guide anywhere for this?

• 1 month later...
Has anyone got HQPlayer working with new version of Ubuntu (16.04)?

I updated Ubuntu this morning to 16.04. THen tried to instal HQPlayer.

Firstly used the software installer (launced by double click of .deb file). This worked fine in Ubuntu 14.04. Now in 16.04, software installer doesn't work - it says that HQPlayer has non-fee components, and refuses to install. Well yes I know that HQPlayer jas non-free components and I have paid for them.

So I went to the terminal and had to brush up on command line. Something I have used since pre-Windows day (circa 1990!!). I now get an error message that "menu is a pre-condition for instalation of HQPlayer. Menu not installed". What in heck does this mean??

Finally - if I can get HQPlayer installed - can I play native DSD? I had previously installed Jussi's kernel into Ubuntu 14.04 so I could play HQPlayer into my DSD DAC (natively). I know that latest version of Debian plays native DSD, what about the new version of Ubuntu?

Maybe you could try using "gdebi" to install HQPlayer. Just a suggestion, although the best person to answer this is Miska or someone else...

Miska, is it possible to use my Mac Mini i7 2.3GHz Quad-core-16GB RAM-128GB SSD with W10 to up-sample all rates (PCM and DSD) to DSD512 using HQ Player?

If so would I be limited to the 2s variants?

TIA

Not Miska, but after reading a lot of comments, I highly doubt it. People already have problems with DSD256 and they use much higher-end cpus (Xeon, desktop i7), so I would be surprised if a mac mini could handle such upsampling...

I tried DSD256 output on a bootcamp Win 10 Mac Mini 2013 vintage, an i7. It worked initially OK for a few minutes until I looked at the temperature gauge on the CPU, something like 95C and increasing. The mini was roasting, stopped that in a hurry, and allowed it to cool off to 45C before shutting down.

Twin Xeon with 16 cores apiece, DSD256 is not a real problem although it can pull about 30% CPU time.

Bear in mind that the mac mini uses laptop CPUs, thus limitations will occur in terms of power, speed, etc. Anyhow, a higher-end i7 (6th generation) and newer Xeons should be able to handle DSD512. The addition of CUDA offloading should also be considered, albeit the total cost rising dramatically (i n Europe at least).

I wanted to test this using my system (based on an i5-4400) just for laughs, but I am yet to buy a micro iDSD. At the moment I upsample without a problem to DSD256, but using Daphile and not HQPlayer, which I have yet to test. Maybe HQPlayer has more power-hungry filters than Daphile, but I won't know untill I test it...

Sorry if this has already been asked, but what is the feeling about the new Intel Skull Canyon NUC as a potential HQplayer server sending to an NAA? I was hoping that mated with a powerful external CUDA graphics card that it might have the grunt to do DSD512? Any opinions? I know Miska is reccomending higher clockspeed than the 2.6ghz but I was hoping being Skylake generation quad core it may get it across the line.

I read that the cost can go up to $1800 with the inclusion of an external graphics card. Wouldn't it be better to build a proper desktop/server machine with around $1000-$1500? Just thinking it's a waste of money otherwise (if you want to use an external GPU)...