IGNORED

HQ Player

Hi there.  Just installed HQPlayer 4, and I'm trying not to lose my mind by fiddling with the settings.  The "Ordinary Person's" Guide is a couple of years old, so I'd love some advice for my set up.  My DAC is a DCS Paganini.  Max 192 sample rate, I think.

1.  Which is preferred - outputting to PCM or DSD?

2.  I listen to mostly studio recorded rock/pop.   Have a powerful CPU.  What are your filter and dither/modulator suggestions?

3.  What should I set my bit rate at, on the SDM/DSD side?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  

11 hours ago, Le Concombre Masqué said:

The idea is to best the DACs, their modulators, filters, processing power,  etc, by better ones provided by HQP and better run by a powerful computer ; however due to the prestige of dCS, I'd be interested to know what your ears prefer

I would let DSD 64 be DSD 64 and check Direct in DSD settings (but if you use convolution filters)

I would upsample all PCM to 192 with Closed Form and shaped dithering ; I'd try none too and play with the dCS filters

(nowadays) I don't like mp filters

Hi there.  When you refer to "closed form and shaped dithering" which filter/dither setting do you suggest?  And what, nowadays do you prefer over the mp filters?  thanks much!