IGNORED

HQ Player

Miska,

I bought your HQPlayer for Windows, but after upgrade the hard drive system to APFS, I can't anymore reinstall the Windows with bootcamp, so I can't listen DSD512 up, neither my HQPlayer.

Is it possible use my license key with Mac OS version or at least while this APFS issue remains?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/14/2018 at 4:37 PM, RamUwe said:

I use the same MBP with PCM any rate to DSD512 only with -2s xtr filters, but with any DSD rate to DSD512 xtr non -2s, but only with bootcamp, Windows 10 Pro, Asio driver and blackbird software!

Thanks, Miska. Everything works now as expected. And thanks for the discount. I already bought the license.

Maybe a stupid question: I've got a MBP 2017 with i7 3,1GHz. Which upsampling rates (PCM/DSD) are possible with non -2s filters without stuttering? Any experiences? 24bit/96kHz (PCM) runs without any problems.

• 1 month later...

Miska,

With my top of the line 13"MacBook Pro late 2017, I can only do -2s filter variants for DSD512 upsampling, using bootcamp with Windows 10 Pro and Asio.

If I buy an external eGPU, will be possible I use poly-sinc (more ex2 and xtr) and closed-form ones?

If so, which external USB-C eGPU's do you recommend for use with my setup, giving me the best performance?

Thanks a lot.

2 hours ago, Miska said:

I have not tested such setup, so I cannot promise anything. But if you put the new GeForce RTX 2080 in external enclosure, it could be able to do that, although the Thunderbolt connection will be some amount of bottleneck compared to internal 16x PCIe. However, HQPlayer doesn't really consume so much bandwidth between CPU and GPU so the bandwidth bottleneck there shouldn't be an issue. With audio, the amount of data to transfer is much smaller than with graphics (especially something like 4K video).

For me, I have now RTX 2080 in my i7 7700K desktop, and it can now do xtr filter from 44.1k PCM to 22.5792M DSD512.

Thanks Miska.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Miska said:

How much costs this stuff?

Which DAC chipset?

Sounds strange that is only DSD256 and 768 PCM...

RME ADI-2 DAC, warm recommendation from my side. Up to 768/32 PCM and DSD256 (including 48k x256) on any platform.

Just remember to turn on DSD Direct mode to disable PCM conversion. This means that it doesn't have volume control (because it is digital). Which also means forgetting about using it's headphone output with DSD Direct (not supported due to lack of volume control).

35 minutes ago, Miska said:

I have not tried it, and based on what I've read I don't want to try it. I anyway use iFi DACs only in DSD mode and recommend others to do the same. I don't have MQA firmware in any of my iFi DACs and thus neither that filter. I don't need MQA, I don't want MQA and especially I cannot accept the things they removed to make space for that functionality in the XMOS MCU.

GREAT ANSWER! I hate this new MP3, MQA is a JOKE...

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
17 minutes ago, Miska said:

If the MacBook is new enough, it may need some firmware setting changes to make T2 security chip allow booting a non-Apple/Microsoft OS

But OTOH, trying it out from a USB memory stick is easy...

Mine is 2017, not T2!

Did you try with your Mac?

Someone else by here tried?

P.S.: I will try with an i5 Lenovo Think Pad notebook!

7 hours ago, Le Concombre Masqué said:

Yes, works perfectly fine with my mid 2012 MBPr

I'm limited to 5EC with PCM, ASDM7 with DSD sources but that's a horsepower issue not a Mac vs PC issue : if your Mac is more powerful than the Lenovo, use the Mac

just etch the image and press the option key at boot to select it : that simple

Thanks a lot!

Keyboard and trackpad work fine?

23 hours ago, Miska said:

Yes, ASDM5EC or ASDM7EC at DSD256 can perform better than something else at higher rate. You can try and compare how it is for you.

I'm trying Poly Sinc Linear + ASDM7EC at DSD256 with MacBook Pro core i7 late 2017 & OS X Catalina, but it demands so much CPU power than ASDM7 and ASDM7 f256+ and the music doesn't flow! What I have to do?

• 1 month later...
30 minutes ago, Miska said:

I would say any poly-sinc -2s variant or -ext2 are so light compared to ASDM7EC modulator, that if a computer can run such modulator, the CPU load posed by said filters is pretty small.

Is DSD128 with ASDM7EC modulator better sound than DSD256 with any modulator combination except ASDM5EC and ASDM7EC?

56 minutes ago, ericuco said:

Why not try for yourself and see what YOU like best? This generally comes down to personal taste and equipment (e.g. DAC).

I can play DSD512 com bootcamp and Win10 (except ASDM5EC or ASDM7EC).

MBP & OS X Catalina DSD256 doesn't play these modulators, this is the reason for the question...

When I can compare, I trust in my ears and don't ask!

1 hour ago, LoryWiv said:

I have  reached the conclusion that yes it is, but of course that's in my system / my ears. I find the EC modulators to be the most natural and musical, without sacrificing "technicalities" for lack of a better word. I can run ASDM7EC with almost any filter at DSD128 and invariably prefer it to non-EC modulators at DSD256. 

Thank you! Non-EC modulators now sound fat and veiled for me, even to DSD512.

I also think the odd transparency with EC modulators is unmatched by any other non-EC ones!

Sounds as EC combined with DSD512 by now is nirvana.

Misha needs work with EC variations that drawn less CPU power..., PLEASE.